Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm wondering how many T-Mo users have the Unlimited Internet Plan $19.99 and how many use the T-Zones "workaround" to get data?
    I personally use the UIP, but recently, I've been having getting a GPRS connection at home (only) which I can't figure out because my voice signal is ok.
    Can't say for sure if it's just timing, but I did a speed test on both (I've switched from UIP to the "workaround") and am getting about 20kbps LESS with the "workaround"

http://broadbandreports.com/mspeed :: I used the 100k link, and was sitting in the same spot at work
    ---
    Chad Morrill
    Visor (2MB) // Visor Edge // Treo 180 // Treo 600 // Nextel Blackberry 7510 // TMobile Blackberry 7230 // Motorola V180 // Motorola A925
    http://chadsnewest.joysta.com
    I've been on the data plan for over a year. I can do just about anything on the internet that I can on my computer...so long as Java or certain unsupported Javascript commands are not required. I've used ssh/telnet, ftp as well as 3 browsers. I can access Exchange thru OWA at my work; download and install programs direct to my Treo, etc.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Okay, could someone please tell me if the $4.99/month T-Zones plan will enable me to get e-mail on a new Treo 600 I've just purchased? I don't care about secure ports and all that, and likely will barely even surf the Web. I just want to POP e-mail, and -- ideally -- use AvantGo and Vindigo via GPRS.

Thanks much for your advice :-)
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    yep, you should get both pop3mail accounts and be able to use web blazer (but latter requires changing port....do a search for oct/nov 04 time frame: "t-zones")
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I have the UIP, and I loved it until recently because I can't connect at home any more (I don't think I want to pay $20/mo. when I can't get GPRS at one place I want it the most). I drove around last night with Treo in hand, once I get out a few blocks from my house, works fine. Weird because it worked up till recently. Don't know if T-Zones reception would be any different tho.
    I currently use T-Zones to access email and internet without no setting changes.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ChadAllan80,
    What were your speeds? I did the test and I got only 35kb/sec on the 600kb test, very slow right? And I have an open "trouble ticket" with T-Mo because of my ongoing GPRS problem since April 15.

Quote Originally Posted by chadallan80
    Can't say for sure if it's just timing, but I did a speed test on both (I've switched from UIP to the "workaround") and am getting about 20kbps LESS with the "workaround"

http://broadbandreports.com/mspeed :: I used the 100k link, and was sitting in the same spot at work
    probably you don't get EDGE
    this is normal for GPRS
    Hmm... okay, just noticed that I can use Mail apps and use Blazer (with the proxy), but I can't connect to the Net via DA or AvantGo. Bummer :|.

Worth $20/month just to get those two things working? Hmm... probably not (that's a lot of calls to 411) ... but I will call up TMO and see if I can work out a deal with them or something.

Anyone manage to negotiate down the $20/month Internet fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by jekswang
    I have the UIP, and I loved it until recently because I can't connect at home any more (I don't think I want to pay $20/mo. when I can't get GPRS at one place I want it the most). I drove around last night with Treo in hand, once I get out a few blocks from my house, works fine. Weird because it worked up till recently. Don't know if T-Zones reception would be any different tho.
    It wouldn't be...the differences between T-Zones and Unlimited Internet are in the network, not at the cell site.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    I thought T-Mobile was slamming the door on web access through the T-Zone route!? I have a 600 on order and would like to employ "the workaround" if at all possible. I certainly don't want to cough up another 20 clams a month just to have web access on the phone when I already have broadband at home and work. For $5 a month though, it would be cool!

Anybody know if this still works in the Phoenix metro area?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Vindigo does not support the proxy, so to do wireless updates you'll need to get the $20 UIP. also, some sites don't like the proxy--I haven't been able to get cookies to work at many sites. however, VersaMail works fine, as do basic web things like Google.

the only difference between t-zones and UIP is in port access. both are ways that T-Mo resells GPRS (or EDGE, if you're lucky). t-zones routes everything through a different set of servers (which block ports, etc.), but on the tower side it's all the same.
    /pc
    Quote Originally Posted by paytonc
    Vindigo does not support the proxy, so to do wireless updates you'll need to get the $20 UIP. also, some sites don't like the proxy--I haven't been able to get cookies to work at many sites. however, VersaMail works fine, as do basic web things like Google.

the only difference between t-zones and UIP is in port access. both are ways that T-Mo resells GPRS (or EDGE, if you're lucky). t-zones routes everything through a different set of servers (which block ports, etc.), but on the tower side it's all the same.
    /pc
    I am just curious if it's possible to change the server and port settings within Treo for TMobile internet. Has anybody tried this?
    You never lived until you almost died!
    I recently bought the Treo 650 and used T-Zones $4.99 with "workaround" and works great . I haven't checked the speeds though , but i am happy with what i have seen. I can check my gmail and even chat using VeriChat.

One question though - Can i have the GPRS network on constantly . Does it use my minutes ?
    Quote Originally Posted by askmahesh
    I recently bought the Treo 650 and used T-Zones $4.99 with "workaround" and works great . I haven't checked the speeds though , but i am happy with what i have seen. I can check my gmail and even chat using VeriChat.

One question though - Can i have the GPRS network on constantly . Does it use my minutes ?
    I can access Gmail too and all of my other POP3 and IMAP mailboxes using T-Zones. For some reason, my GPRS signal drops once in awhile, but not much of a notice. Only time GPRS is using minutes if you are roaming on a different network.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    "if it's possible to change the server and port settings within Treo"

I doubt it. My (T-Zones) network settings are locked by the SIM card.
    /pc
    Quote Originally Posted by paytonc
    Actually, if you're on the T-Zones (wap) APN AND are on the $19.99 data plan, no ports (other than RealAudio port 554 for some reason) are blocked.

wap APN on $4.99 data plan:
    private IP
    MMS works
    most ports are blocked, but the "workaround" will let some apps work

wap APN on either $19.99 data plan ("Internet" or "VPN"):
    private IP
    MMS works
    no ports are blocked other than 554 (RealAudio/RTSP)

internet2 APN on $19.99 "Internet" data plan:
    private IP
    MMS does not work (Treos will switch to wap to transfer MMS, but may run into problems with apps that keep connections open e.g. Chatter)

internet3 APN on $19.99 "VPN" data plan:
    public IP
    MMS does not work (Treos will switch to wap to transfer MMS, but may run into problems with apps that keep connections open e.g. Chatter)

hiptop APN on Sidekick data plan:
    does not work with Treos or anything other than Sidekicks (the only connections allowed are to Danger's proxies)

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    I'm running another test as we speak. I have improved!!! I believe the first time I ran (with TZones) I got something awful like 9 kbps. Today I got 39 kbps which beats the UIP (I think I got 32 kbps or soemthing with the UIP when I tested it).

In addition to this, I've really noticed VERY little difference using TZones. It's cheaper, and if you can get someone to tell you the workaround, it's defeintly worth it to switch. Even $20/mo seems high to me (but I'm cheap )

Quote Originally Posted by jekswang
    ChadAllan80,
    What were your speeds? I did the test and I got only 35kb/sec on the 600kb test, very slow right? And I have an open "trouble ticket" with T-Mo because of my ongoing GPRS problem since April 15.
    ---
    Chad Morrill
    Visor (2MB) // Visor Edge // Treo 180 // Treo 600 // Nextel Blackberry 7510 // TMobile Blackberry 7230 // Motorola V180 // Motorola A925
    http://chadsnewest.joysta.com
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have used TZones with a custom proxy server that converts port 9201 (WAP) traffic to port 80 and successfully browsed regular websites. I am looking at a way to do this for smtp/pop email and https (secure web).
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast