Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I tried to sign up with T-Zones this week for my newly aquired Treo600. Monday the nice CSR lady gladly signed me up - no questions asked. By Tuesday I still could not get a GPRS connection to save my soul, so decided to bite the bullet and call TMO tech support. This time a different guy on the line, and once he found out I was trying to access using a Treo, he told me it was not available for the Treo and promptly removed T-Zones from my account. Of course I got the normal " you'll have to sign up for the 19.99 internet plan". I really don't want to pay that much more a month, and I'm afraid if I try it for a month or 2, I'll like it and not want to give it up!

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Different folks have gotten different results w/T-Zones vs unlimited internet. I was using T-Zones fine w/my Treo 270, but could not get to any https sites (Hotmail, OWA, etc.). I've since switched over to the unlimited plan on a 650, at least for a while, and everything works great.

I've heard, though, that others can use T-Zones with no restrictions -- it may be based on geography.
    Quote Originally Posted by dras
    I tried to sign up with T-Zones this week for my newly aquired Treo600. Monday the nice CSR lady gladly signed me up - no questions asked. By Tuesday I still could not get a GPRS connection to save my soul, so decided to bite the bullet and call TMO tech support. This time a different guy on the line, and once he found out I was trying to access using a Treo, he told me it was not available for the Treo and promptly removed T-Zones from my account. Of course I got the normal " you'll have to sign up for the 19.99 internet plan". I really don't want to pay that much more a month, and I'm afraid if I try it for a month or 2, I'll like it and not want to give it up!

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    You could sign up for it online. Save you the CS hassle.
    ---
    Chad Morrill
    Visor (2MB) // Visor Edge // Treo 180 // Treo 600 // Nextel Blackberry 7510 // TMobile Blackberry 7230 // Motorola V180 // Motorola A925
    http://chadsnewest.joysta.com
    Yeah, but signing up for it isn't the problem.....getting it to work is. I had it put on my account, it could never get it to connect. It always errored out saying a GPRS connection was not available. When I called TMO back they told me no dice on the TREO's!
    TMobile is slowily closing the doors on Tzone access. I predict within the next 5 years, it will no longer be available. TMO will have to come up with a better data bundle price to compete with the other carriers.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    I have been trying the T-Zones workaround on my Treo 270 without success. I have tried every setting and variation possible. I can connect but the no data is delivered. Does anyone know if T-Mobile have closed the door on the workaround? It occurs to me it could also be because I am on a Treo 270. Most people using the workaround seem to report success with the more recent models. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fieryparticle
    I have been trying the T-Zones workaround on my Treo 270 without success. I have tried every setting and variation possible. I can connect but the no data is delivered. Does anyone know if T-Mobile have closed the door on the workaround? It occurs to me it could also be because I am on a Treo 270. Most people using the workaround seem to report success with the more recent models. Thanks.
    Heres the trick....

Signup for TMobiles $19.95 Intenet plan thru TMO's website. Keep the service for about a week using ONLY T-Zones. Go back to TMO's website a week later and remove Internet from account. TZones stays connected while internet and VPN access disconnects. CAUTION....Maynot work for everyone! So dont complain if it doesnt work for you.
    Thanks for the tip IceMike. I will try it out. Please would be kind enough to clarify this a little. Do I need to be registered for both Internet and T-Zones then cancel the Internet, or do I just sign up for Internet and then cancel it without paying for T-Zones?
    Thanks for the tip IceMike. I will try it out. Please would be kind enough to clarify this a little. Do I need to be registered for both Internet and T-Zones then cancel the Internet, or do I just sign up for Internet and then cancel it without paying for T-Zones?
    DONOT call or add TZONES to your Treo!!! I tried this tactic and got the runaround by customer support. By selecting TZones feature in network preferences, you maybe able to logon to TZones without any problem. This maybe a loophole in their software...but who cares.
    When you signup for $19.95 internet, you automatically can connect to T-Zones. You may even get VPN access, but dont count on it. I did a mobile speed test comparing Internet with Tzones and got the same results....40K@100...37K@200. Adding internet just not worth the cash IMO.
    Hmm. I used to be able to get basic stuff (e-mail, proxy'd web access) for free on T-Mobile but that stopped a few months ago. After adding T-Zones, I'm (usually) able to access this stuff. ymmv.
    I can only speak for my own device and location, a Treo 270 In Los Angeles, but I definitely cannot access anthing through T-Zones. I have tried all the proxies and tricks listed everywhere. I have also tried adding T-Mobile Internet and seeing if it will all me to get setup and into T-Zones. It does not. Thanks for the suggestion anyway IceMike. I apreciate the creative idea. I definitely agree the way to add and remove services from your account is on the web. Changes are effectively instantly and can even be made when Customer Service is closed.

I can connect to T-Zones only if I specifcally add T-Zones (not Internet) to my account, but while this allows me to simply connect, no data will actually be received, so I can't access the web or email that way. So it does seem that, al least in my location on a Treo 270, the T-Zones workaround is definitely completely shut down. I have tried this a number of times some weeks apart, so it doesn't seem to be temporary thing, more like that they have closed the loophole. I am a light Internet user on my handheld so I have found another inexpensive solution which works for me. I have realied T-Mobile allows dial-up Internet. This is cool, because the AT&T/Cingular account I used to have blocked dial-up. So I am using a cheap prepaid dial up service, TollFreeISP.net. There is another one called BAMnet which I haven't tried, so I have no particular recommendation. It costs about 1 cent per minute for the dial-up account, plus airtime from T-Mobile. This works OK for my light use and I try to keep my access to nights and weekends when my T-Mobile minutes are free.

Seeing as how dial-up Internet is possible through T-Mobile, I wonder if I could send a fax to, from or through my Treo. Anyone know of any software to do that?

Thanks for the interesting thread and contributions everyone!
    fierypartical,

I have no experience with Treo 270's, so my fix only work with the current phone I have....a 600. Whats interesting is that TMobile had me exchange my SIM card for a newer a few years back when I owned a sidekick. I am not sure if this may work for you, but I have since change SIM cards twice. Maybe it's luck or maybe it's just each Treo is different in build.

As far as fax program goes, I am curious as well because I want to know too.
    IceMike, are you able to currently access T-Zones on your 600? May I also ask which region you are in. I am in Los Angeles. I am wondering if I just need to upgrade my Treo to the 600! Interesting thoughts about the SIM card. My guess is that may not be the issue. I started my account with a regular T-Mobile phone with T-Zones actived, then took the SIM card out of the phone and put in my unlocked Treo 270. T-Zones worked on the regular phone, but not on the Treo 270. It does seem that the T-Mobile's network where I am can tell I am using a PDA phone and not a regular phone. Definitely could be to do with our different phones. The 600 is clearly a major upgrade from the 270. Different system software and different processor. So, please could you clarify if the workaround is currently happening for you OK on the 600? Many thanks.
    Yes, I am able to access T-Zones on my 600 without workarounds or any other proxies/port changes. And to make it even better, I am not signed up with T-Zones either. I am located in the Chicago Metro area if that helps. TZone is spotty from one area to the next, so LA maybe having difficulties.
    IceMike, are you able to currently access T-Zones on your 600? May I also ask which region you are in. I am in Los Angeles. I am wondering if I just need to upgrade my Treo to the 600! Interesting thoughts about the SIM card. My guess is that may not be the issue. I started my account with a regular T-Mobile phone with T-Zones actived, then took the SIM card out of the phone and put in my unlocked Treo 270. T-Zones worked on the regular phone, but not on the Treo 270.
    When you say "T-Zones", are you referring to the T-Mobile WAP site (wap.myvoicestream.com) or to the T-Zones APN (wap.voicestream.com)? The former will not work from a 650 because the 650 doesn't support WAP proxies, but you should definitely be able to access the WAP APN.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Hi Roamer1. I can't speak for IceMike, but when say T-Zones I am referring to the APN wap.voicestream.com. When I have tried adding T-Zones Unltd to my account I can establish a connection to the server, but cannot actually transmit or receive data. I am assuming the system can recognize or restrict my device in some way because they want me to be using T-Mobile Internet. If I add T-Mobile Internet to my account I can connect to the server and access any site including wap.myvoicestream.com. The version of Blazer in my Treo 270 is WAP enabled as well as having limited HTML functionality (no javascript, no dynamic html). Adding T-Mobile Internet to my account does not allow me to perform my intital server connection to the T-Zones server and the the reverse is also true, adding T-Zones Unltd to my account does not allow me to connect via the T-Mobile Internet server.

Just a quick comment which I acknowlege is off-topic for this thread, I would be happy to upgrade my device and pay the full price for T-Mobile Internet access except I find the web browser very disappointing in all models of the Treo, including the 650. I have checked out my friends phones and decided not to upgrade or get T-Mobile Internet for this reason. No Macromedia Flash, no access to Windows Media and although javascript is added, compatibilty with many websites is limited. I love the Treos for their great compact PDA and phone functionality, but I am terribly disappointed by the limited web functionality. I don't really want to go over to a Windows Pocket PC Phone Edition device becuase they tend to be bulky and because I really like the Palm desktop software. I don't want to have to use Outlook. But, I am also concerned about the build quality on the Treos. The lids break on the 270s and the screens and speakers seem to break very frequently on 600s. I don't feel the 650 is worth the cash because it lacks wifi and the web functionality I mentioned before. Should I keep hanging in.... is there hope a new Treo will come along to rise to the challenges???
    fieryparticle Los Angeles Treo 270 T-Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12