1.    #1  
    ...consumer experience that I have ever encountered. Yes, I had heard that it was bad from friends and Consumer Reports. Yet, I was unprepared for how truly frustrating, aggravating, terrible, unreliable, and awful it would be. Here are some of the major problems:

1. My phone does not work nation-wide. When I travelled to San Francisco, it could not make outgoing calls, although incoming calls worked. When I visited Detroit, voicemail did not work. Multiple calls to Cingular support and visits to Cingular stores could not fix the problem.

2. The minutes used and bill balance text messaging service only rarely works. My account information is frequently unavailable online.

3. Support is not available in the evening and on weekends. That's an issue, of course, when your phone is not working. And even just to find out that Cingular is closed, requires several minutes of navigating through the automated menu.

4. Most of the account service personnel that you speak with are clueless. Many are rude. I am often disconnected 10 or 15 minutes after being on hold.

5. Porting my phone number over from another carrier took three attempts. During the first two, someone else's phone number was routed to my phone.
    You and many others are making me nervous. I have a Cingular line, but wanted to port my Sprint line over too. Maybe I'll stay with Sprint, though they have their own list of problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    ...consumer experience that I have ever encountered. Yes, I had heard that it was bad from friends and Consumer Reports. Yet, I was unprepared for how truly frustrating, aggravating, terrible, unreliable, and awful it would be. Here are some of the major problems:

1. My phone does not work nation-wide. When I travelled to San Francisco, it could not make outgoing calls, although incoming calls worked. When I visited Detroit, voicemail did not work. Multiple calls to Cingular support and visits to Cingular stores could not fix the problem.
    My phone has worked fine all over Georgia, in Massachusetts, in Detroit (and north), in Minneapolis... Data, Voice, and SMS... all without difficulty.

2. The minutes used and bill balance text messaging service only rarely works. My account information is frequently unavailable online.
    Don't ever use it as I have 1000 minutes and 1500 SMS messages... The online info has been there everytime but once when I looked... but that's only about 5-10 times.

3. Support is not available in the evening and on weekends. That's an issue, of course, when your phone is not working. And even just to find out that Cingular is closed, requires several minutes of navigating through the automated menu.
    Definitely a pain in the posterior.

4. Most of the account service personnel that you speak with are clueless. Many are rude. I am often disconnected 10 or 15 minutes after being on hold.
    Never had anything but positive experiences... None have been rude... Maybe I have good karma or something.

5. Porting my phone number over from another carrier took three attempts. During the first two, someone else's phone number was routed to my phone.
    My number was ported in the Cingular store in 20 minutes. That was the total time from sitting down with the rep and a T-Mo phone to getting back up with my 600 ported to Cingular.
  4.    #4  
    The following is Cingular's written response to my complain that my phone did not work in San Francisco and Detroit (the only two American cities outside of my home area in the Seattle area where I brought my phone):

"Cingular Wireless does not promise that you would be able to get service
    everywhere you bring the phone. We make a provision for this in the
    terms and conditions of the contract."
    Those are major metropolitan areas, this shouldn't be an excuse!! Usually cities are the ONLY places GSM works. That sucks because I need to go to Detroit. Did you tell them their coverage map includes these areas?

Edited: just looked at map again, San Fran is a little hard to tell, but Detroit for sure is included.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/11/2005 at 08:45 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Cingular service is fine. Coverage is better than T-Mobile (I just switched), but after 2 months of service, Cingular has tried to overcharge me by almost a $1000. The matter is being reviewed. So far Cingular has reversed about $600 in overcharges after it failed to recognize my $20 unlimited data plan known as Media Works. I had to produce proof of my original purchase of the plan at that price. PalmOne helped me out by producing a copy of the web receipt. What a rocky start. If the 3rd bill results in an overcharge, I will cancel the service no matter what the penalty is and go back to T-Mobile. Anyone know how I can contact the FCC and FTC to report these events?
    Tony
    Yes, Cingular is kinda sneaky. They tried to pull than on me and my wife. When she got her bill for like $300 she almost freaked. I had to get on the phone and talk with a CS rep and get her to fix the over charge and honor the unlimited data on the Mediaworks plan for her. On my bill it came fine, but we are both watching for the next bill (period closed on 4/5 and its STILL not available online). You have to watch them like a hawk. If you produced proof of purchase and they fixed it, its a matter of getting to a competent CS person to make the right change in your account so it sticks. You shouldnt have to babysit this process, but you have to if you want it to work. Sadly, I dont think the other carriers are that much different.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  8.    #8  
    It was not coverage that was the problem. The issue is that they have somehow screwed up the programming of my account such that it apparently requires a new activation every time I arrive in new areas. (At least that is what I can infer from what they told me.) Indeed, in San Francisco, I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel and there is actually a Cingular store on the corner!
    That makes no sense for a supposed "nationwide" carrier!! And their excuse was bogus if that was the case(there's no guarantee of service???) You're on a plan, not pre-paid, right? But even if you were pre-paid, isn't that supposed to be nationwide too? If if isn't, they are way behind T-mobile in that regard!

100% satisfied with Cingular and just crossed the one-year mark. No billing or other problems. YMMV, of course.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by holminator
    Mobile Anyone know how I can contact the FCC and FTC to report these events?
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    do you have the new 64k sim? I had a meeting with a Cingular rep for my company. He said those sims suck. He was a guy that got pulled over from ATT side and he told me reason Cingular is pushing new sims is because they lock it and have their own little program to force your selection of cell tower. Another problem is Cingular built itself by buying up different cell companies. So they don't have a good standard on tower's hardwares.

He told me that if i have a Blue sim to keep it and be sure not to lose it, hurt it, etc etc. Blue's towers have all the same hardware so going from market to market roaming with a blue sim is better.
    I have not had any problem but I started out with ATTWS in January. As of March my phone now says Cingular and I am now receiving a Cingular bill. So far no problem and my coverage is stellar all over the US and Canada. Traveling to Argentina and Brasil this week so will keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Thanks!
    Tony
  15.    #15  
    I received my first Cingular bill and it included $100+ in charges related to porting the incorrect phone number to my account. (The first of two incorrectly ported numbers was my home landline phone number. I have a hardcopy of the web order showing my home phone number only in the context of my credit card information and clearly showing that I requested my cellular phone number from a different provider to be ported.) So, they make a mistake and charge me for it. A phone rep was nice enough about it when I called and reversed the charges.

The fortunate thing is that this appears to have not caused any disruption in service on my home landline (yet).

I am keeping my fingers crossed that after 25+ calls to Cingular customer service, two trips to Cingular stores, two SIM cards, and three business trips were my phone was not useable, I have turned a corner and things will be stable from here on out.

(Two pleasant aspects have been that my roaming was seemless in Europe and that one of the Cingular reps did unlock my phone for me.)