1.    #1  
    I know there has been alot of talk about vpn issues on cingular. I am currently using mergic vpn to access my corp network to reboot servers and such using vnc. It is a pptp vpn, not ipsec, and I am on verizon wireless. I may switch carriers to Cingular. Has anyone used mergic on cingular using pptp? Mergic is such a nice clean vpn client.
    I have... works great! But I did have to ditch MediaNET/Works and go with the PDA data plan... basically you use ISP@CINGULARGRPS.COM (login to AP) or ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM instead of WAP@CINGULARGRPS.COM when using the VPN. Note that you cannot actually log in with ISP* unless you actually have a PDA data plan.
    Agreed, the reason...
    APN:wap.cingular (login: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM) uses NATP (Network address and port translation) which PPTP won't work over.
    APN:isp.cingular (login: ISP@ or ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM) gives you a real IP (not NATP) so you can do anything including PPTP.

$25 MediaWorks plan = wap.cingular only.
    $40 (or $45??) PDA Plan = wap.cingular as well as isp.cingular

The only catch is that the isp.cingular network profile is not configured in the Treo 650 by default (at least it's not in my unlocked GSM Treo 650.) The default network GPRS configuration is for the wap.cingular connection only.

You'll have to create a new network profile for isp.cingular manually:

Connection: GPRS
    User Name: ISP@CINGULARGRPS.COM
    (or ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM)
    Password: CINGULAR1
    APN: isp.cingular
    (Details and Advanced remain as default)

The ISPDA@ login gives you data compression to improve transfer speed, but I don't know if it that interferes with VPN or not.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G