Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got my 2nd bill with $19.99/mo Media Works (unlimited internet, 1000 SMS, 50 MMS).

I just wanted to share my joy and relief. Anything is possible with Cingular .. At the rate I use Blazer and Versamail, my bill would be hundreds without this package (that I signed up 2 days before it expired).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    right there with ya buddy!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    I've been getting 19.95 mediaworks bills since I signed up.... and expect to keep getting them as long as I don't tell them to change it.
    any chance of me gettin in on this? think they will run the promo again sometime?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    doubtful, they just changed it
    1 | 2
    I'm also lucky to add unlimited MW a week before it changed.
    If I had to pay per kb and etc, not sure I would be able to get a 650.
    It's not the end of the world. True MW w/ unlimited is a steal. I thought it was when they first started offering it which is why I jumped on it when it came out Summer of 2004.
    $20 for unlimited + 1500 SMS + 200 MMS.
    But for $25 (only $5 more) you can still get the unlimited Data. However SMS and MMS are not at all included in that price (which is why the old media works plan is such a steal.)

Today, the closest you could get to the same thing is would be to get:
    $25 MediaNet (unlimited data)
    $10 for 1000 SMS
    =$35 (or $40/month if you add $5 for 40 MMS to the mix.)

But that's still a whopping $15 more per month... and you know that's what I'd be paying if I had to sign up for something today.

It still beats what I was paying on AT&T wireless.
    $50/month for unlimited PDA data.
    $10/month for 400 SMS.
    Geez... $60 a month! Now you can see why I RAN (not walked) to the Cingular store to switch over when I saw the Media Works (w/ unlimited data) for only $20 a month including SMS & MMS.
    And I was paying that on two lines (mine and wife's.)
    We saved $80/month on data/sms by switching over and getting MW.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/16/2005 at 03:29 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I was looking at the website and was wondering about that. So the Media Net does NOT include text messaging? I would have to get the Media Works? But now it's only 3MB. You all are lucky who got grandfathered in, LOL!

On the average, do you have any rough idea just how many MB someone uses up if they were to get on every day for a couple of hours? I won't be doing that as of now, however I may if I travel. I may indeed have to do as you suggested and get MediaNet and Text. However, do they require 2 year contracts also, which I really hate? Or is it just added with option to cancel?

I'm so tempted to just get that Wi-Fi sled! Then I won't be tied down entirely to Cingular! I wish there were independent data plans I could get but I guess that's not possible, you always have to order through your carrier?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No, the data plans are considered a feature you add on, and it's on a month-to-month basis. You can change them any time. The voice plan (base plan) is what you have the contract on.

My wife uses about 40MB a month with very little web, email mostly.
    I use about 60MB with moderate web surfing, and a lot of email.

3MB is a joke. To actually get any benefit from the Treo, you really need unlimited.

I suggest getting MediaNet unlimited and try it out for a couple of months. See how your usage is. You can always drop it at any time without penalty, but you have to maintain a vice plan.

Yeah, no included SMS. That really blows bigtime.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    My daughter was recently setup with Cingular. I'm not familiar with the plans since I have T-Mobile. This is what she has:
    Usage Type Available Used

5000 N&W 5000 605
    Media Works-txt Msg 1500 71
    Unlimited Expd M2M Unlimited 377
    Media Works-WIX 3072 47

She has Media Works for $19.99. Am I reading it correctly that she is limited to 3MB? That is not the Media Works Unlimited you guys are talking about? If so, isn't this very expensive for a data plan? I'm spoiled with T-Mobile's 19.99 plan.

tia
    I'm curious... If you do any changes to your account with Cingular, such as upgrading your minutes package, etc, will they cancel out your grandfathered MediaWorks package? I heard someone mention that before, but it doesn't seem like the two should be together. They are totally different features on the bill. I'm currently satisfied with my 450 anytime plan, but my last two bills showed me exceeding that by 100 or so minutes (I guess I got phone happy with the Treo 650). I have 1800 rollover so it's not an issue now, but may be in 5-6 months if those minutes start to run out.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I'm curious... If you do any changes to your account with Cingular, such as upgrading your minutes package, etc, will they cancel out your grandfathered MediaWorks package?
    Could be. I am afraid of changing anything online or even calling customer service unless I absolutely have to.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog
    My daughter was recently setup with Cingular. I'm not familiar with the plans since I have T-Mobile. This is what she has:

5000 N&W 5000 605
    Media Works-WIX 3072 47

She has Media Works for $19.99. Am I reading it correctly that she is limited to 3MB? That is not the Media Works Unlimited you guys are talking about? If so, isn't this very expensive for a data plan? I'm spoiled with T-Mobile's 19.99 plan.

tia
    I recommend that she call sutomer service and verify this. She should record the name and ID# of the rep she has talked to and keep a record of it (in the Memo application? :-)

She should call at 2-3 different times to verify that she is getting the correct information from the telephone customer service folks.

Cingular is too messed up (online and phone) to assume anything.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog

5000 N&W 5000 605
    Media Works-WIX 3072 47

tia
    Yes, you're reading this correctly. The "Media Works-WIX 3072" means 3MB of internet.

Media Works for $20 used to be:
    Unlimited data (MediaNet), 1500 txt Msg, 200 Multimeda Msg.
    Now its:
    3MB data (MediaNet), 1000 txt Msg, unlimited Multimeda Msg.
    They changed the plan in Feb '05

Basically it's intended for camera phones. So they're trying to push people to use multimedia message (aka picture messaging) between phones and probabally see that those users not really wanting or using internet access as much. It might be a competetive play against Sprint, don't they offer unlmited picture messages? In any case, unlimited data in the bundle went away.

To get unlimited media net data, the cheapest plan is Media Net Unlimited plan for $25. And that's a-la-carte, not a bundle so it doesn't include SMS (txt msg) or MMS (multimedia messages). So if you got Media Net unlimited and wanted SMS or MMS, you'd either pay per message or have to buy SMS or MMS pachage (about $5 to $10 each) to add to them.

Yes, T-Mobile and Sprint are definately the best deals out there for unlimited data plans. If you're comparing unlimited internet access data plans alone:
    • Cingular $25 Unlimited interent (aka Media Net) / $40 PDA unlimited internet
    • TMobile $20 Unlimited internet
    • Sprint $15 Unlimited internet.
    • Verizon $5 mobile web for phones / $45 Unlimited internet for PDA

And if you have a Treo, you're supposed to get the $40 PDA unlimited data plan on Cingular instead of Media Net, however the Media Net plan will work
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/19/2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Could be. I am afraid of changing anything online or even calling customer service unless I absolutely have to.
    I've made changes to my add-on features without screwing up my old Media Works package, but I can't be a 100% sure that changing your rate plan won't screw it up.

It's best to simply ask them before changing your rate plan. Don't be afraid to tell them that you have a grandfathered Media Works plan that's no longer available and to not make any changes that would cause you to lose it.

Unless they REALLY have a better voice plan, I avoid changing rate plans anyhow because they require you to re-set that 1 or 2 year contract to get that new plan.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    aprasad: I forget exactly, but I wanted Cingular last april but the voice + data was big bucks! I went with Sprint & pay $15 unlim data & $45 for 1,000 anytime voice + free9pm+ weekends. I hardly ever use phone. How good a voice deal did you get? lyrigal@yahoo.com
  17.    #17  
    80+10+10 for 3 phones. A gazillion minutes (actually 3000, I think but seems like a lot to me), free nights and weekends, free mobile to mobile, rollover of unused minutes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Yes, you're reading this correctly. The "Media Works-WIX 3072" means 3MB of internet.

Media Works for $20 used to be:
    Unlimited data (MediaNet), 1500 txt Msg, 200 Multimeda Msg.
    Now its:
    3MB data (MediaNet), 1000 txt Msg, unlimited Multimeda Msg.
    They changed the plan in Feb '05

Basically it's intended for camera phones. So they're trying to push people to use multimedia message (aka picture messaging) between phones and probabally see that those users not really wanting or using internet access as much. It might be a competetive play against Sprint, don't they offer unlmited picture messages? In any case, unlimited data in the bundle went away.

To get unlimited media net data, the cheapest plan is Media Net Unlimited plan for $25. And that's a-la-carte, not a bundle so it doesn't include SMS (txt msg) or MMS (multimedia messages). So if you got Media Net unlimited and wanted SMS or MMS, you'd either pay per message or have to buy SMS or MMS pachage (about $5 to $10 each) to add to them.

Yes, T-Mobile and Sprint are definately the best deals out there for unlimited data plans. If you're comparing unlimited internet access data plans alone:
    • Cingular $25 Unlimited interent (aka Media Net) / $40 PDA unlimited internet
    • TMobile $20 Unlimited internet
    • Sprint $15 Unlimited internet.
    • Verizon $5 mobile web for phones / $45 Unlimited internet for PDA

And if you have a Treo, you're supposed to get the $40 PDA unlimited data plan on Cingular instead of Media Net, however the Media Net plan will work
    Doesn't Sprint charge another $15 for WinMobile devices?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    No, the data plans are considered a feature you add on, and it's on a month-to-month basis. You can change them any time. The voice plan (base plan) is what you have the contract on.

My wife uses about 40MB a month with very little web, email mostly.
    I use about 60MB with moderate web surfing, and a lot of email.

3MB is a joke. To actually get any benefit from the Treo, you really need unlimited.

I suggest getting MediaNet unlimited and try it out for a couple of months. See how your usage is. You can always drop it at any time without penalty, but you have to maintain a vice plan.

Yeah, no included SMS. That really blows bigtime.
    My mileage varies significantly. Like your wife, I use very little web -maybe 15-20 minutes per weekday, and on busy months I average about 40 emails a day with 5 to 10 fairly large ones or with attachments. I hardly ever get to 3 MB. I've had this experience for 3 years through the use of various devices on T-Mobile. Unfortunately, T-M offers only unlimited plans. IMHO, unlimited plans are a racket.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    keep in mind though the unlimited MediaNet plan is 'supposed' to be for regular cellphones - not treos or other data centric devices. Supposedly they have ways of figuring out if you are actually using the data plan on a treo or regular phone even if the phone they have on record on your account is not a Treo. YMMV - thought it might be worth mentioning this though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast