1.    #1  
    I have performed numerous searches..and maybe I am just not good at it..but I cannot find an answer why Cingular issued me an area code from Long Beach, CA (562) and I live in Los Angeles, CA (310). At first I was surprised by the (562) area code, so I did a quick research on the internet and the area code was listed from Los Angeles. (follow up-another internet search asked for Area Code and prefix number i.e. 562 481, and a got a Long Beach hit). When my Long Distance bill (home line) arrived I was charge long distance calls to Long Beach, CA.
    For example, my kids called my cell phone from our home (310) and my next (home line) bill lists each call to my cell as a long distance call to Long Beach, CA (which is about 50 miles away from where I live and I never travel there). Is this right? Anybody else issued a phone number (Area Code) outside the city in which they live in?
    Last edited by RaisedInTheBar; 04/01/2005 at 10:56 AM.
    Phone companies says they are running out of numbers.

I have a cell# that has same area code as my home but SBC says that my number is outside my local calling area hence my home #. gets dinged with 7cents per min of call (not to mention my cell gets charged the usage, too).
    That's a load of horse$#!t. If the phone companies had used a little foresight, they would've divvied up large metropolitan areas even further into area codes to allow for population growth. As it is, my area code has changed 3 times in the last few years because the phone company misjudged the growth in the area.

If I were you, I'd be in the Cingular store making myself a PITA until they fixed it. There's absolutely no reason you should have to pay long distance to call your cell phone.
    Here in Texas, specifically the Fort Worth/Dallas area, SBC went to an overlay system. They initially carved out a second geographic area code for Dallas, but for the third one they changed to an overlay system. They did the same for Fort Worth. With on overlay, existing customers do not have to change their area code. All calls within the overlay area are not toll. This does mean 10-digit dialing, but it has saved businesses a lot of money not having to change numbers.
    Zane
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your replies.

I called Cingular operator this morning, and I explained my problem. I was surprised how slightly easy it was to switch to my local Area Code. I ask for a (310) Area Code, but the operator had a problem of getting some numbers up on her computer screen, and she asked if I live in California, I said yes. I helped her along by saying that it's a Los Angeles Area code, and a moment later she said all she got on her computer screen was West Los Angeles and a couple servers. Knowing that I do live in the westside area, I said West LA would do. I was told that I have three phone numbers to choose from, I picked one.

IMPORTANT- After I chose my new number, I asked the operator if I will be charged a new Activation Fee ($36), and she replied no, however I asked for her operator ID for my record (just in case and to scare her into making sure she follows through with the no Activation fee), and she complied. She said to turn off my cell phone signal and turn it back on to activate my new number, and BAM!-new number with the correct Area Code.

Thanks again for the moral support.
    In defense of the phone companies they do not have as much control over area codes and phone numbers as one would think. A phone company has to request the addition of a new area code but it has to be approved by the states utility commission and sometimes the FCC.

I know several States have fought against adding area-codes or cutting up new area codes. It is a logistical nightmare when a new area code is added.

With that.... I have damn Frontier Communications just outside of Sacramento, I have the 916 area code like Sacramento, heck I am only 5 minutes from the city border but I have to pay long distance toll on calls to Sacramento and even parts of the city I live in even though we share the same area code!!!
    While the phone companies do need the approval of states utilities & (sometimes) the FCC, it is still their responsibility to determine the potential for growth in an area and make a request for the new zones. If they were "running out of numbers" in an area, they needed to assess the available numbers left and judge whether they needed more.
  8. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I believe y'all may be overthinking this. May well have been a simple error. when I got my original T-Mobile number over 2 years ago, they gave me an a/c from another state. Called and had it fixed in minutes. One would think they'd link a/c's to zipcodes, but if a human has to select a menu item (like most of us do on web sites to pick states, for example), a wrong pick could be the whole reason.
    In any case, seems the fix is quick and easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy
    That's a load of horse$#!t. If the phone companies had used a little foresight, they would've divvied up large metropolitan areas even further into area codes to allow for population growth. As it is, my area code has changed 3 times in the last few years because the phone company misjudged the growth in the area.
    I doubt it horsespat. In Los Angeles County alone, we have eight area codes off the top of my head. Landlines, cell phones, fax lines, pagers...I don't see how they can account for all the new numbers they'd need.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Phone companies says they are running out of numbers.

I have a cell# that has same area code as my home but SBC says that my number is outside my local calling area hence my home #. gets dinged with 7cents per min of call (not to mention my cell gets charged the usage, too).
    That sucks!
    310 Area code goes all the way down to Redondo Beach/Torrance/Palos Verdes area, which basically are close to Long Beach. All of those still are in LA county, so that is possibly why they gave you that area code. It really doens't matter since we no longer pay for 'long distance' like we used to with the old land lines, but I do see your point in a way. I just got my new phone and was a bit worried I'd get a non 415 area code even if I do live in the heart of my city.