1.    #1  
    I currently have 7 users on treo 600's through verizon, and use the workgroup verson of the wireless sync client to sync with their respective accounts on our exchange 2003 server. I am toying with the idea of moving these users to cingular to get the treo 650, and its benefits. I know there have been issues with versamail/activesync not pushing updates from the handheld back to the server. Can anyone weigh in who has had hands on experience either as a user or administrator of these systems to make a comparison. The wireless sync service from verizon has been pretty stable, only one or 2 problems since we started using it,...the week that it was available. I'm also wondering if vz actually releases the t650...will they include versamail or only support thieir wireless sync? Any real world comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    johnrmcc - let me say up front, i am a user, not an administrator. i have no specific knowledge of whether vzn will release the 650, or when (though i truly can't imagine they wouldn't). I was a vzn 600 user and am now a cingular 650 user.

i was a big fan of vzn's wireless sync and do miss it a bit...cingular's option is good, better in some ways, not in others.

Email: both offer push as a redirect from a running PC, etc. i do like cingular's much better becuase i can attach documents stored either on my desktop or treo to an outgoing message from the treo, which i do not believe i could do w/vzn.

Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, & Memos - unlike vzn service, these are not completely wirelessly sync'd with the treo. You can view your calendar wirelessly, but can not add or edit appointments from the treo. You can look-up contacts wirelessly, but they are not stored on the treo (so if you are on an airplane w/o a connection you are out of luck). Memos and Tasks are no touched by cingular's xpressmail at all. One feature that is nice is that i can access all the documents in "my documents" on my desktop with the cingular service, which the verizon service does not offer (yes, there is docs to go, but i have 100's of docs and at any one time they are not all stored on my expansion card). Hopefully all that makes sense. Bottom line = the ability to attached documents to outgoing emaill w/cingular makes the whole thing great for me. I then use traditional hot sync for calendar, contacts, memos, tasks, etc. Finally, the two main reasons I switched, GSM & international use + the $19.99 unlmited data plan vs. $45.99 is a real savings in my mind.

As to activesync, my company uses some type of certificate verification to access the server from the outside which activesync does not support i have learned, so i have no experience with it.

Hope that doesn't bore you...let me know if there are other questions i can try to answer for you.

Best of luck!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  3.    #3  
    good info. i would be running this off the exchange server though, with active sync. I dont allow our users to keep desktops logged in like that. The documents thing sounds nice, but the lack of syncing over the air is a letdown, athough active sync should take care of this. How well travelled are you in the us? What about coverage?
    i am not completely sure they are the same, but i think similar to vzn's workgroup monitor option, cingular has a corporate xpressmail option, which sits on a single computer and monitors multiple accounts...anyway, maybe they are totally different and i am way off there.

yes, in theory active sync will take care of the wireless calendar sync, but remember for the treo 650, it's only calendar and email - contacts, memos & tasks must still be sync'd in the traditional way.

as to my travels, mostly major sites: louisville, ky, birmingham, al, multiple cities in florida, phoenix, az, most of california; mostly plane travel, not much car travel via "back roads" and my coverage has been solid. also used it in europe, again major cities, and the dominican republic with no problems.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Xpressmail does have its grown up brethern XMNE and XMEE where you establish either a direct link from XpressMail at Cingular to the customer (XMNE) or a version where you dedicate a reasonable box to be the redirector for all your users (XMEE). With either solution it takes the desktop (always on) out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54
    i am not completely sure they are the same, but i think similar to vzn's workgroup monitor option, cingular has a corporate xpressmail option, which sits on a single computer and monitors multiple accounts...anyway, maybe they are totally different and i am way off there.

yes, in theory active sync will take care of the wireless calendar sync, but remember for the treo 650, it's only calendar and email - contacts, memos & tasks must still be sync'd in the traditional way.

as to my travels, mostly major sites: louisville, ky, birmingham, al, multiple cities in florida, phoenix, az, most of california; mostly plane travel, not much car travel via "back roads" and my coverage has been solid. also used it in europe, again major cities, and the dominican republic with no problems.