1.    #1  
    I was browsing the web after I just recently phone ordered my Treo 650 via AT&T NBO yesterday and saw that for the Treo 650 (On the AT&T/Cingular Help Forum), customers must use the PDA plan which is $49.99 (I believe?) as the Unlimited mMode ($24.99) is only for mMode enabled phones and view only mMode sites such as whatever is one their homepage. Is there really a difference, will they care if you attached the unlimited mMode or are there some hidden fees with the Treo if you use the unlimited mMode plan. Also if wanted to tether would it still work with unlimited mMode or will it be detectable by AT&T (Only reason to tether is to be able to check my email and go on AIM on my laptop)? Thanks a lot
    I have no experience with AT&T mmode, but if it is anything like Cingular's MEdia Net then the answer is that there is no difference between it and the PDA connect, other than price.

As for tethering, very few people ever get penalized for really abusing it and running 150 MB or more per month. You usage sounds like it doesn't go over a few megs.
    Cingular bought out ATT, they're still offering mMode? And ATT is still selling phones?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    I bought the phone via NBO to my knowledge anyone with a FAN account can order it, i got the straight price of $400 for it.
    i am using the unlimited mmode on my treo 650 (and tethered via bluetooth to my laptop).

i have full access and only get charged if i use ssh and vpn connections

my cost is 24.99 for the plan.
  6.    #6  
    im new to this what exactly is shh and vpn connections?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Cingular bought out ATT, they're still offering mMode? And ATT is still selling phones?
    Yes, although Cingular bought out AT&T the merger may take up to 18 month to be fully finalized. The blue stores I frequent tend to offer orange plans and services, but they support existing blue customers. This may not be the case in towns other than Sacramento, though. Telesales and web puchases are still functional with AT&T.
    does anyone know if mmode is EDGE speed?

also, what software do you use for vpn and ssh? why is it not free if you have unlimited mmode?
  9.    #9  
    i believe mmode is edge capable.. but is it true only wap sites work with mmode? that you cannot view html sites?
    Quote Originally Posted by stylez23
    i believe mmode is edge capable.. but is it true only wap sites work with mmode? that you cannot view html sites?
    You can view any sites with mmode.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan
    You can view any sites with mmode.
    Yep, and you get EDGE speeds too (that's what I am using).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  12.    #12  
    scotty i noticed u use causerie, is it worth it if all i want to use is AIM? also do u know what shh and vpn connections are, i asked before but i guess it's been overlooked..
  13. Drv
    I'm also using mMode $24.95/mo for unlimited internet & email with my 650. No problems so far. I ordered mMode from my old flip phone (Samsung x426), did the sim swap to the 650 and have had no problems. The PDA plan is only more expensive. I dont understand how they can justify selling you something that cost more and gives you absolutle nothing different. And yes it is EDGE speed. I get about 150kb/sec on the benchmark. I have a friend who just got a $1200 bill from Cingular with the Medianet unlimited plan. He's NOT very happy and plans a class action lawsuit for getting SLAMMED. I'd just keep an eye on your bill online! I have not bluetoothed yet, so I cant offer any info on that...

Long Live AT&T mMode!
    scotty i noticed u use causerie, is it worth it if all i want to use is AIM? also do u know what shh and vpn connections are, i asked before but i guess it's been overlooked..
    I think it is as I use AIM most often, and the AIM client by AOL has been soft-reset loop prone in the past and they offer now trial version.

VPN = Virtual Private Network, allows you to securely connect to your company's network from the outside (like, via your treo). This would be the only way I could access our corporate email using an email client like Snapper or Versamail for example or intranet websites

SSH = Secure Shell. Developed by SSH Communications Security, it is a standard for encrypted terminal Internet connections. SSH programs provide strong authentication and encrypted communications, replacing less secure access methods like telnet.

15.    #15  
    oh ok thank you scotty, looks like i won't really need VPN since i don't have any corporate email or anything like that..

sites that have ssh is found on basically sites that need credit card info im guessing, so sites like this or any other forum or my blog like xanga.com don't really use ssh?
    oh ok thank you scotty, looks like i won't really need VPN since i don't have any corporate email or anything like that..

sites that have ssh is found on basically sites that need credit card info im guessing, so sites like this or any other forum or my blog like xanga.com don't really use ssh?
    You're confusing SSL with SSH.

SSL is secure socket layer, used on websites that need credit card info etc so your data transfer is secure.

SSH from what I gather is more for folks who need "terminal" access to other computers to control them from the command line (like to restart servers and such).

Bottom line, sounds like you don't need either

17.    #17  
    ahh thank you.. cleared up everything for me looks like mmode for me is a go.. all i really wanted to do is go on aim, check email, visit websites.. i really wanted a sidekick at first but compared to the treo, treo hands down is the better (device and hopefully service wise)
    I have MMode and can view any web site I want to. I do not tether but have the unlimited data plan and can pull up my personal and corporate e-mail and surf the web with no problem.