1.    #1  
    I have been having great GPRS coverage in my house with Cingular and my Treo 650 since I got it a couple of months ago. Suddenly about 5 days ago I no longer receive a GPRS signal at home, but it still works fine everywhere else.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ATT towers merging and they probably merged a tower that doesn't have GPRS coverage.
    You can call Cingular and ask for tech support. Ask them about the towers in your area and why you suddenly have no signal. They might be able to tell you if something has been changed or if something is wrong with it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I have the same problem..you live near me
    I live south west of Dallas, in the woods. Our Cingular signal has been pretty poor for years. ATT a bit better. TMobile just okay. For last week or so my phone (Treo 650)was stuck on one tower and causing very sporatic reception, constantly going up and down from SOS to 4 bars, never staying at any level more than a second or two. In addition a friend just switched from ATT to Cingular(I gave her my Treo 600). Her ATT out here was always acceptable with a non GSM phone, but now with Cingular she virtually doesn't get a signal here. At her house, in a strong Cingular and ATT area, she had super ATT but hardly any Cingular. I can't use my Cingular there.... until yesterday. We spent a couple of hours getting our phones properly registered and reset several time, with upper level tech. My signal, at my house, has leveled out to three bars; her's was still bouncing a bit. She has a 64k, new sim; I'm still using my old 32k sim. ..... 2 techs told my that, although we have many more ATT towers out here, and stronger ATT signals, we are not yet using the ATT towers with our Cingular service. Don't know why; maybe Dallas proper has priority. I was also told by upper tech that a larger, 64k sim would not affect my signal reception. We are in a heavy edge covered area. I'm tempted to try an edge sim to see if it improve my reception. I was told I would have to purchase one. Any one know the cost?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    cingular is switching to the att towers and selling the old cingular ones to t-mobile....so you will be fine shortly, they switched the towers near me already...
    the32k sims are like gold on e-bay..not because the 64k is better

I have 32k btw w/ treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    cingular is switching to the att towers and selling the old cingular ones to t-mobile....so you will be fine shortly, they switched the towers near me already...
    the32k sims are like gold on e-bay..not because the 64k is better

I have 32k btw w/ treo 650
    It depends on the market. Not all areas of the US are doing this. In California & Nevada Cingular/AT&T co-owned the same network 50/50, now it's sold to T-Mobile and they're moving to AT&T wireless towers with roaming on to T-Mobile.
    But in Dallas it's copletely different. I don't know what the situation is there.
    And when you say 32K SIM, I have a 32K SIM also, but there's more than one type. My GT SIM doesn't allow manual network selection. I wish we could just get a hack for the Treo to do manual.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Today, in Oakland CA: I have an Unlocked Treo 650 with an older 32k Cingular SIM which lets me manually select networks. I normally have it set to ATT/Cingular, as it has a stronger signal at home.

Within the last week, I've noticed that "ATT/Cingular" is now listed as "Cingular" instead. So my network choices are "Cingular" or "Cingular" (the second one being the old ATT towers).

As I understand it, the Cingular network has been sold to TMobile here, so they are now managing it.

Here are my results using http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed using the 100k test

ATT ( 4 bars signal) :
    98, 116, 102 (average = 105 kbit/sec)

Cingular (2-3 bars signal):
    failed, failed failed. (Would load between 5 and 25k of data then stall completely, timing out).

Something is definitely wrong with the Cingular side.
    UPDATE: San Francisco/Bay Area/Daly City

600k Test
    4 Bars
    142kbit/sec
    2.09s latency

I have not had this EDGE speed since late Feb. I believe the performance problem of < 40kbit/sec max speed has been considerably improved....keeping my fingers crossed!

MM
    Down here in San Jose (South) it's still about 30kbps. However, I will say that over the last 4 days or so it has been consistently 30kbps-ish vs. much worse before.
    I have faith it won't be much longer now.

UPDATE: I take that back. I just went over to the window and ran the 200k speed test twice. Both times I got 140/141kbps!!
    YES!!!!! I am (far too) stoked. About friggin' time, but I'm just glad.
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/05/2005 at 02:01 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Today: In Oakland CA: I have an Unlocked Treo 650 with an older 32k Cingular SIM which lets me manually select networks. I normally have it set to ATT/Cingular, as it has a stronger signal at home.

Here are my results using http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed using the 100k test

ATT (solid 4 bars signal) :
    112, 93, 93, 96 (average = 99 kbit/sec)

Cingular (fluctuating 1-2 bars signal):
    28, 29, 75, and 65 (average = 49 kbit/sec)

Yesterday the Cingular/Orange tests failed completely, so something has improved. The variability in speeds today is probably due to the poor signal strength.
    UPDATE 2: Looking steady!

600k Test
    4 Bars
    133kbit/sec
    2.267s latency
    37.904s d/l time

MM
    Cingular Treo 650 (Unlocked?!?)
    Firmware 01.51 Software Treo650-1.17-CNG H/W A
    Treo Wireless Headset - Apple Ti15 OSX 10.3.9
    Palm VII -> Motorola StarTAC -> Treo 600
    It's still crap for me!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    It looks like the fixed the problem. I live in Anaheim and right now Im at my girlfriends house in Costa Mesa and I just got 112kb on the 200k test.
    UPDATE 3: I like it!

Blazer Browser
    600k Test
    4 Bars
    141kbit/sec
    1.664s latency
    35.627s d/l time

Xino
    600k Test
    4 Bars
    522kbit/sec
    3.638s latency