1.    #1  
    All,

Like most of you, I have spent multiple days/hours on the phone with Cingular regarding trying to troubleshoot the speeds on their data network in California the last couple weeks. I have had some luck getting answers the last couple days. It has been like pulling teeth though. This is what I have found...

"... Cingular no longer owns their data network in California. Due to the negotiations with the various cell providers in California during the ATT aqcuisition, and the possibility of network monopolies, T-Mobile now owns the majority of Cingular's data network in California.

What this means, is that in order for data network issues to be fixed, Cingular first has to prove that their equipment is not the problem, and then the issues must be escalated to T-Mobile." -- Cingular Technical Support

Cingular claims they have fixed the problems in thier network, and now are waiting for T-Mobile to fix theirs. I was told not to expect anything miraculous in the next couple days, but that I should be able to connect and achieve normal speeds.

Additional Thoughts: Taking in consideration the normal finger-pointing routine Telcos excercise, this is going to make resolution of data network issues very time consuming and frustrating. EDGE speeds will proabably be non-exsistent, unless Cingular has some bandwidth agreement with T-Mobile, since I don't think T-Mobile has EDGE build-out in California. (I could be wrong, anyone know for sure?)
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye

"... Cingular no longer owns their data network in California. Due to the negotiations with the various cell providers in California during the ATT aqcuisition, and the possibility of network monopolies, T-Mobile now owns the majority of Cingular's data network in California.

What this means, is that in order for data network issues to be fixed, Cingular first has to prove that their equipment is not the problem, and then the issues must be escalated to T-Mobile." -- Cingular Technical Support

This is pretty on par of what I've been told too.
    Cingular has sold all of its current cell sites and network to T-Mo and has now taken over all of AT&T's cell sites and network. Now T-Mo is on it's own and is no longer piggy backing on Cingular's network. They are also going to begin updating every tower with newer devices (what ever they wanna call them) removing the current Nokia equipment and replacing it with much more up to date Sony Ericson equipment which will be much faster and allow better hand offs from site to site.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    This explains why TMobile users are also complaining about the exact same issue in Cali. They are sharing our pain.
    Hmmm I wonder if I can convince Cingular CS to move me over to AT&T's towers. Appearently all of the ATTws users are still getting great data speeds.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/25/2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    This is completely unacceptable!!! Not that it matters but I use the TReo for business and getting attachments is very important for me. Not being able to do it does not allow me to do my job. Cingular cant even tell us when they will get this issue resolved??

I am going to urge our IT group to go elsewhere! The only problem is we have to stay on GSM because we go to Europe frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    This is completely unacceptable!!!
    I fully agree 100% And what sucks the most is now that there are really only 2 GSM carriers, it's not like you can just switch to the competitor. Especially when the competitor not only has the same problem, but may actually be the source of the problem.
    This is what we get with corporate mergers. Thank god DISH and DirecTV weren't able to merge (what a disaster that would have been.)

So I understand the AT&T wireless network is trouble free. I think Cingular should allow us to get our SIM's reprogramed over the air to use AT&T's network as our primary towers with cingular/Tmobile towers as the backup unless they can fix it, or even acknowledge the problem.

Keep calling them folks. The more we call, the higher a priority it becomes.
    Call Cingular's 800 #.
    Press (I think 4) for technical problems.
    Press 2 for messaging and wireless internet.

Tell them it has been rediculously slow for 2 weeks and would like a credit or to know when it'll be fixed.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I fully agree 100% And what sucks the most is now that there are really only 2 GSM carriers, it's not like you can just switch to the competitor. Especially when the competitor not only has the same problem, but may actually be the source of the problem.
    This is what we get with corporate mergers. Thank god DISH and DirecTV weren't able to merge (what a disaster that would have been.)

So I understand the AT&T wireless network is trouble free. I think Cingular should allow us to get our SIM's reprogramed over the air to use AT&T's network as our primary towers with cingular/Tmobile towers as the backup unless they can fix it, or even acknowledge the problem.

Keep calling them folks. The more we call, the higher a priority it becomes.
    Call Cingular's 800 #.
    Press (I think 4) for technical problems.
    Press 2 for messaging and wireless internet.

Tell them it has been rediculously slow for 2 weeks and would like a credit or to know when it'll be fixed.

Spoke to Cingular again. Made it through 2 layers of CS, and spoke directly to a Tech Support Liason for T-Mobile (Apparently a new title). He admits ongoing problems, and STILL CAN NOT PROVIDE ETR.

I am ready to take the phone back, and switch to Sprint or Verizon. Anybody else have a different experience?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    where do you live? as of a few days ago my download speeds have returned to normal. I now consistently get 100-130kbps here in south oc. so it appears that the problem is getting resolved. I say hang in there...it will probably be too much of a hassle to switch carriers anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    where do you live? as of a few days ago my download speeds have returned to normal. I now consistently get 100-130kbps here in south oc. so it appears that the problem is getting resolved. I say hang in there...it will probably be too much of a hassle to switch carriers anyway.
    On every forum and thread I discuss this problem I try to make it very clear that this is only in California right now. I know for a brief time there were problems all over the US related to some router problems (now fixed.) The current problem is only in California and appearently now only in NORTHERN california (San Jose/San Francisco market.) I hear that Southern California is back to full speed.

It's also affecting all T-Mobile customers in the same area and T-Mobile and Cingular share the same pipes here.

THis does NOT affect former AT&T customers (now Cingular) as they are on a different physical network (aka "AT&T/Cingular" vs "Cingular" on the phone's display.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    As far as I understood this, Cingular has sold off it's network to T-Mobile and has acquired all of AT&T's network. T-Mo is no longer piggybacking on Cingular's infrastructure in Ca.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    Spoke to Cingular again. Made it through 2 layers of CS, and spoke directly to a Tech Support Liason for T-Mobile (Apparently a new title). He admits ongoing problems, and STILL CAN NOT PROVIDE ETR.

I am ready to take the phone back, and switch to Sprint or Verizon. Anybody else have a different experience?
    Well I'm still waiting for a response from my "trouble ticket" that I filed last Friday. I was promised a response by Tuesday (it's now Thursday.) I'm not expecting much if it's a known issue that they're working on, that's all I care about.

As far as switching to another carrier, that's your choice. Sprint users have their own complaints, albiet most are minor. Verizon I hear few complaints but 650's aren't available for them (yet.) Having said that, I believe Verizon's data speeds are the fastest of all of them (only a little) from what I've read online.

If you have a return deadline, then I might suggest you do return it so you don't get stuck for 1-2 years with service you don't like. If not and it doesn't matter when you do it, then I suggest you just hang in there and I'm fairly confident that this will be resolved eventually. I admit it's unusual that Cingular lets a problem go on this long, but since the network is now owned by TMobile I think their hands are a little tied while they wait for TMobile to resolve it. After all, there rest of the country is reporting great speeds of 100kbps+ in most cases. I have heard that Cing/TMo engineers are both working on it together and I believe that. Maybe they had to purchase equipment or servers and awaiting delivery (hence the hold up) I have no idea.
    In california, I understand the plan is to move all cingular customers over to the AT&T wirless network that they now own and the TMobile network will only be for back-up roaming (if at all.) And while AT&T's network doesn't have as complete of coverage (which is why I hope we can still roam on to TMobile) here in Cali, it certainly is performing very well for EDGE.

So changes are on the horizon either way. I don't think you should switch for this one reason alone as they HAVE to fix it. It's a temporary problem albiet we don't know how short or long term of a temprorary problem it is.
    It's been about 3 weeks. I'm not happy, but again as along as it gets back to the old speeds eventually, what more can I ask for.

It does seem to be working a little better lately. I'm getting 30kbps relatively consistently now. That's good enough for email and some web browsing while we wait for them to fix it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    the towers near me have been updated, meaning i'm now defaulted to what was the att network, hurray...been having probs all week till this morn.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    As far as I understood this, Cingular has sold off it's network to T-Mobile and has acquired all of AT&T's network. T-Mo is no longer piggybacking on Cingular's infrastructure in Ca.
    Correct, however instead of TMobile piggybacking on Cingular's network, it's now Cingular piggybacking on TMobile's network. Still the same network, ownership has just shifted.

That is until they get the Cingular people moved over to the AT&T wireless network (which hasn't happened yet.) But the post right above this one says he was updated, so maybe I should try re-setting my Treo.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    the towers near me have been updated, meaning i'm now defaulted to what was the att network, hurray...been having probs all week till this morn.
    How do you know you're defaulted to the ATT network? Does the phone display show "AT&T/Cingular" instead of "Cingular"?
    I even deleted my "CurrentCarrier.pdb" and re-set the phone. Everything seems the same as it has been for days.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    it used to show two networks:
    cingular
    att/cingular

i've noted switching in the past the att has one bar less than the cingular one

also when treoguard turned my phone off last nite i was on att/cingular when i got up and treoguard turned the radio on it said no service 911 only so i searched networks and only found one, called cingular so i switched and all is fine BUT it has one less bar than usual, just like old att.

same thing at my work only one network exists now....
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Today, in Oakland CA: I have an Unlocked Treo 650 with an older 32k Cingular SIM which lets me manually select networks. I normally have it set to ATT/Cingular, as it has a stronger signal at home.

Within the last week, I've noticed that "ATT/Cingular" is now listed as "Cingular" instead. So my network choices are "Cingular" or "Cingular" (the second one being the old ATT towers).

As I understand it, the Cingular network has been sold to TMobile here, so they are now managing it.

Here are my results using http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed using the 100k test

ATT ( 4 bars signal) :
    98, 116, 102 (average = 105 kbit/sec)

Cingular (2-3 bars signal):
    failed, failed failed. (Would load between 5 and 25k of data then stall completely, timing out).

Something is definitely wrong with the Cingular side.
    As of late this evening, two tests to /mspeed resulted in 140kbs and 141kbs.
    Early this evening I couldn't break 35kbps, and for a short time I couldn't even get online (maybe it was down while they were fixing it?)
    In any case, it's now fixed.
    I'm in San Jose (South), CA
    I'm a Cingular (Orange) customer so I have no manual network selection on my treo, I can't tell you if they've got me still on orange towers or blue, but whateve they did it's back to par here.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Today: In Oakland CA: I have an Unlocked Treo 650 with an older 32k Cingular SIM which lets me manually select networks. I normally have it set to ATT/Cingular, as it has a stronger signal at home.

Here are my results using http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed using the 100k test

ATT (solid 4 bars signal) :
    112, 93, 93, 96 (average = 99 kbit/sec)

Cingular (fluctuating 1-2 bars signal):
    28, 29, 75, and 65 (average = 49 kbit/sec)

Yesterday the Cingular/Orange tests failed completely, so something has improved. The variability in speeds today is probably due to the poor signal strength.
    It looks like they fixed the problem! I just did 2 tests. The first one 200k I got 123kb and The 600k test I got 99kb. I havent seen these speeds in over a month. About F#$king time!!!!!!!!