1.    #1  
    Hi,

I signed up for the current MediaWorks (3MB WIX/Unlim MM/1000SMS). I'm just trying to be sure I know what features draw off of what:

Obviously, Phone calls - minutes, Web - WIX, SMS - sms, and Versamail - WIX.

MM - according to brochure, it doesn't count against minutes. Does it count as WIX data?

I am correct in understanding that anything GPRS/EDGE does not count against my call minutes? Essentially I could "browse" as long as I want, it is merely the amount of data transmitted that counts?

I guess I don't understand why MM (which transmits pictures, sound bites, and text) is "unlimited", whereas there is a limit on SMS. Why wouldn't I simply send all my text msgs as MM?

Thanks!
    MMS is separate from SMS and is separate from data (WIX). I would double check your contract/plan, since I really doubt that you have unlimited MMS. You might however have unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile voice minutes whan you call another Cingular customer, and maybe you are misreading your bill/contract.
    his $20 media works plan has 1000 SMS/unlimited MMS and 3MB of inTarweb

but the $40 PDA plan only gives me unlimted inTarweb and no SMS or MMS

for TEN dollars more I get 1000 SMS and $0.25/ea MMS

and even if you want the $20 media works +PDA unlimted data for =$60
    YOU CAN'T HAVE IT! ,because the 3MB overlaps

way to go cingular
  4.    #4  
    jposin - yes, it is on Cingular.com, for some reason, the current package has unlimited MMS (but only 3MB WIX).

I was trying to figure out whether MMS uses "minutes"; and also why it would be unlimited as opposed to SMS. It seems it would use more resources for me to transmit MMS (even if just plain text) than it is for me to transmit SMS...

Frank M - I've been trying to figure out how to best make a "combo" too, but unusually, the pricing scheme doesn't make much sense. I'm wondering if I would rather have the Unlimited Media Net ($25) + 50 Text ($3) = $28.

I don't know that I will use MMS that much after I get over the initial "playing around" - esp since most of my contacts would have to pay for receiving MMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    I am correct in understanding that anything GPRS/EDGE does not count against my call minutes? Essentially I could "browse" as long as I want, it is merely the amount of data transmitted that counts?
    Your understanding is correct. Data usage, when you are subscribed to a data plan such as MEdiaNet uses zero minutes. The only plan that ues minutes is the CSD plan for $3.99

I guess I don't understand why MM (which transmits pictures, sound bites, and text) is "unlimited", whereas there is a limit on SMS.
    That's just another winning performance by the wonderful Cingular marketing team. They have managed to screw things up royally, and confuse their customers in the process.

Why wouldn't I simply send all my text msgs as MM?
    See what I mean about Cingular's marketing team?