View Poll Results: What Cingular dataplan do you have?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • MediaNet Unlimited ($25)

17 29.82%
  • MediaWorks Unlimited ($20, no longer offered)

32 56.14%
  • PDA Data Unlimited ($40)

8 14.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I know there has been alot of speculation about what is causing the recent Cingular network issues. Up until today, I was having no problems with my 650 + MEdiaNet plan. Now download has slowed to a crawl.

Does anyone out there know for sure that the recent Cingular issues are related to their network versus a crackdown on MediaNet users? Are users of the PDA Data plan ($40) also experiencing the same issues?

Perhaps a pseudo scientific poll may help to reveal something. For those having issues, please let us know what plan you have.
    One of my coworkers is on the $40 plan (against my advice of telling him to switch to Media Net) and his is crawling too, just the same as mine. I'm on Media Works.
    In fact that's one of the first things I did, to check with him to see if the $40 plan was crawling too. It is in fact just as slow.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/24/2005 at 04:17 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I'm on MediaNet Unlimited ($25), and have had okay speed for a few days now (~70kbps - ~130kbps). I was crawling last week, though. Yesterday, I had a lot of disconnects (but that might have been my email app).
    sunil
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    The interesting thing is when I go to Blazer, it automatically tries to go to www.cingular.com/wap...eventhouhg I have it set to go to the last page visited. It never did this before, furthering my fear that Cingular has found us MediaNetters out...

I just did a speed test from dslreports and am getting 94 kbps. Much faster than what I was getting back still slower than what I normally get (130 kbps). At least things seem to be getting better.
    My dslreports.com/mspeed is coming in around 30-85kbps. Also dramatically faster than I was getting even earlier today and for the last 2 weeks (closer to 18kbps or slower.)
    I downloaded a file of 100KB in about 12 seconds (used a stopwatch.) That's roughly 85kbps.

It has very very fast bursts of data (15k-25k), but there are a few seconds (1-3) between bursts which is what is now bringing the speed down. Before I was only getting 1.25k cunks of data between pauses (each pause 5-10 seconds.)

It IS getting better, but still only about 60% of what it was 3 weeks ago.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    ok, you guys seem to have the knowledge I need. I bought a 650 on ebay. Just got the phone end to work today by way of unlock code provided by Cingular Tech-Support...However I cannot log onto the web via my MediaWorks. This is what I get when I launch Blazer "Connecting to Cingular GPRS......Signing On.....Canceling" Actually I just tried again while writing this post and I got the error to check my Network Connection Settings. Then I just tried again and it reverted back to canceling out. Whats the deal?
    could u maybe post your network connection settings to get me started?? Thanks
    I have the 40 dollar pda plan, and have seen a range of speeds from over 130 to less than 20. It seems to be related to time of day (usage) and location.

Works much better when you are stationary, and in a place with good coverage, at off peak times!! :-)
    Jerry - I also saw the "Connecting to Cingular GPRS......Signing On.....Canceling" error the first night I had the device. But, by the morning, it had sorted itself out and was connecting perfectly. Make sure you choose the Cingular GPRS network setting - this will connect you to GPRS or EDGE if it is available.
    I heard from my CS rep, that we are in the final stages of convergence of the two networks, and there appears to be many issues related to these final steps. They are racing to eliminate all traces of the ATT name. I am hoping this is why the recent slow down has happened. Sometimes I get over a hundred and just now I am getting about 50K.

Media Works - The one that people kept telling us we would never be able to keep after the Jan 31st, date.
    MediaNet - Unlimited ($25). No problems in the month or so that I have had it. I use Web, Chatter, VeriChat and Handmark Express daily.
    Reports say that there have been lots of GPRS issues with Cingular in CA, NV and other west coast sites lately. My speeds have varied all over the place on the MEdiaWorks legacy plan.
    JoeVA....Thanks for the input. I don't know if it matters but i didn't just activate a new account, I simply popped in my SIM from my Moto V180 piece-o-junk insurance replacement for my old Moto T720. What is that locked/unlocked icon in the network settings screen for exactly??

Oh and by the way...MediaWorks Unlimited $19.99
    and you can count me in as having problems too with the GPRS network in the Philadelphia, PA market if my network settings are in fact correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    JoeVA....Thanks for the input. I don't know if it matters but i didn't just activate a new account, I simply popped in my SIM from my Moto V180 piece-o-junk insurance replacement for my old Moto T720. What is that locked/unlocked icon in the network settings screen for exactly??

Oh and by the way...MediaWorks Unlimited $19.99
    and you can count me in as having problems too with the GPRS network in the Philadelphia, PA market if my network settings are in fact correct.
    Service: Cingular GPRS
    Connection: GPRS
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    APN: wap.cingular
    Yes, I had the PDANet plan for 1 day and cancelled it. My buddy and I stood out doors where there was no inteference and conducted an experiment. We cleared our caches. He had MediaNet and I had the PDA plan. We chose 4 sites to browse. www.red.com (also green and blue and some other site I can't recall now.) His device completed browsing first in 3 of the 4 sites. One note: the PDA plan downloads more detail frame information and color, etc. You ain't missing nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    Are users of the PDA Data plan ($40) also experiencing the same issues?

Perhaps a pseudo scientific poll may help to reveal something. For those having issues, please let us know what plan you have.
    Thank you very much Kahuna.....settings are in fact correct, so its the service not this phone...I can't get online period!!
    Last edited by JerryP2375; 03/24/2005 at 11:30 PM.
    If you can't get online at all there is definitely a problem on your account settings. You need to have them check or re-provision you settings.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    A coworker of mine has the $40 data plan and is seeing just the same crappy download results as I am (I'm on Media Works unlimited data, old plan.)
    So while we've never done a side by side (yet) I can say that it appears he is always getting the same speeds I am (weather good or bad.)
    I'm going to have to corner him for 5 min and try the side by side test myself, I'm skeptical that the $40 plan is faster (I think it's just creative billing on Cingular's part) but I have no proof of the matter.
    Either way, it's not worth it for me to pay double for slightly better data rates and to lose my 1500SMS/300MMS.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    miller...would the fact that I swapped the SIM outta the Moto V180 have anything to do with it? I wouldn't beleive that would matter because the service is dependant upon the SIM as long as both devices have the ability to web access, am I correct in this thinking?
    It shouldn't at all. I also have a Moto V400 that I sometimes use on weekends and I jsut swap SIM's back and forth.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast