1.    #1  
    I just ordered an unlocked treo650 today. I have to choose between carriers in USA and having hard time after reading many comments and posts. I have sprint right now and i am going to keep it for its vision plan iwth 650. So my new 650 is for travel outside the country and use as an extra phone (for extra minutes).

All I want is sms (unlimited if possible), data plan [OPTIONAL](which one to choose and which company to choose from? since I already have vision I might just try GSM data service to compare), and good service (cust service and drop calls and signal) [I am in houston, tx].

I do not want to signup an agreement/contract since I already bought my unlocked 650 phone on full price. Is there any way to pass through contract bashing from tmobile and cingular dealers and get service month to month??

Also what is major difference between GSM and CDMA service and phones (specially Treo650)? I have never had GSM service or phone ever in my life (a dedicated sprint pcs cust ) so to me international SMS, SIM cards and swapping and saving contacts into SIM card is bit different.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    All things equal, TMob is cheaper. The big issue is coverage. Cingular's seems to be better in some places. So you really need to check coverage where you'd use it in the states.

Ohhh... Tmob doesn't have Edge so at least technically data speed should be faster on Cingular.

I don't know about the month to month thing, but you should at least be able to use it for a week or two and the return it if you don't like the service.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    If you will travel with the unlocked GSM and never use it in the US, get either pre-paid SIM Cards in the countries you travel to, or set up a contact with a cell provider in your destination country (probably the only way to get data on the T650 when you travel). None of the US GSM carriers have rates as cheap as the local GSM providers in your destination countries. If you need to use it here as well as abroad, T-Mobile is the least expensive provider of minutes and data. $60 will buy you 1000 minutes/mo and unlimited data.
  4.    #4  
    I am insterested in prepaid service from tmobile since I already have sprint for voice and data. What I want to know is, can I use International SMS while using prepaid serive (card)? And also can I browse while using prepaid tmobile service?
    Sprint uses CDMA, while TMo uses GPRS. You can't use the same phone on CDMA and GPRS. They are totally different radios. The prepaid TMo service requires the use of SIM cards; something you can't install in a Sprint phone.
  6.    #6  
    TonyH, Sorry if I didnt repeat my situation again, but if you readmy first post, I have two treo 650, one already for sprint since december last year,and I just bought unlocked treo from palm one and checking all options to use 2nd treo on gsm network.

So with pre-paid tmobile SIM can I use internet, SMS amd voice or it is just for minutes used in voice??
    Here's a snippet from pC Mag's article

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan [$10 more than Sprint's] makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version.

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."

Extensive article on wireless broadband service here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp

According tot he article, there ar only two players in the broadband arena.

"For now, two cell-phone companies—Cingular and Verizon Wireless—offer 3G networks in the U.S. (Cingular has two networks, one from its merger with AT&T.) True, all these networks are cellular-based, but that's where the similarities end.

Of the three networks, Verizon's BroadbandAccess—its brand of EV-DO—has the best balance of speed and coverage: DSL-like speeds in 32 metro areas around the country.

Cingular's EDGE network has the most nationwide coverage and is the cheapest to use, but it is also the slowest—only about twice the speed of dial-up. EDGE is only marginally 3G; some experts consider it a 2.5G network. But it's still a major jump ahead of the slow (30- to 50-Kbps) GPRS speeds you're used to getting.

Cingular's "real" 3G offering is UMTS. It's only slightly faster than EDGE right now, but it will speed up dramatically in the next few years. For now, it's available in only six cities in the U.S."

I gotta question the "best balance of speed and coverage" statement though....no doubt it is the fastest available service but I don't see 21 cities (32 metro areas) as "nationwide coverage". If their coverage was more widespread, I mighta held out for the verizon model....which, if practice holds, will be released about 2 weeks before the next Treo <grin>.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    TonyH, Sorry if I didnt repeat my situation again, but if you readmy first post, I have two treo 650, one already for sprint since december last year,and I just bought unlocked treo from palm one and checking all options to use 2nd treo on gsm network.

So with pre-paid tmobile SIM can I use internet, SMS amd voice or it is just for minutes used in voice??
    You're right, I didn't grasp you had two T650's. Yes, with the unlocked T-650 you can use T-Mo prepaid SIM cards, but the data portion is only the free T-Zones, not the full blown all you can eat data connect. I used one of their prepaid SIM cards when I had my unlocked SX66. I also tried TMo's data plan for $19.99/month with a basic voice plan. I had to cancel within a few days because it was painfully slow, and their coverage sucked.

But in Europe it's a different story with local prepaid SIM cards. You don't even need to stick with TMo in that case.