1.    #1  
    After several call to CSRs to find out about the slow data service (I have medianet unlimited), and being told that I should use the PDA plan with my treo, I have investigated the fine prints of the different data plans and found the following:
    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_legal

"MEdia Net
    MEdia Net is not equivalent to landline Internet. Only select sites accessible through a mobile connection are available. You are restricted from using a home page other than the Cingular home page."

So, if you are using your treo to browse other sites than www.cingular.com/wap, or for mail/vpn/... then brace for impact because your are violating the TOS.

And by the way, www.cingular.com is as slow as the other sites, so they are not bandwidth controlling other usage, but they could very easily.

JC
    Cingular CSR's can't keep track of how many price plans they have, let alone deal with the "legality" of browsing the internet with MEdia Net.
    Quote Originally Posted by treojc
    "MEdia Net
    MEdia Net is not equivalent to landline Internet. Only select sites accessible through a mobile connection are available. You are restricted from using a home page other than the Cingular home page."
    I could still use Cingular page as home page, and type in the URL of wherever I want to go.. I'm fulfilling what is required, ie using their site as the home page.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    That's the most ridiculous TOS I've ever read.
    DANG!!!!!
    F??? OFF CINGULAR!
    as T-Mobile user, the TOS really shocks me
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    If they were to enforce this and prosecute even ONE customer, they would have a mass exodus of customers and they have to know that. Sort of like putting a deadbolt on a screen door - it's a fix that makes their corporate lawyers feel better, but in reality is only words on paper - not the least bit effective in controlling how we use the service. Also, they would never sell another smart phone if they publicized this. The scary part is that I'm sure in the not too distant future, providers will be able to easily track what phones we are using and how we are using their internet services. Then it's a short hop to locking us out of the features we are using daily now. I'm gonna shut up now, I'm feeling big brother looking over my shoulder. Were's my bankey??
    Vince
    my friend at cingular told me that they jus try to make you get the PDA plans....either way Cingular is making a fortune off it....they do basically nothing extra to provide you with data....so i doubt Cingular is gonna shut this down.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    it's a fix that makes their corporate lawyers feel better, but in reality is only words on paper - not the least bit effective in controlling how we use the service.
    You hit the nail on the head. Getting worried over Cingular's passion for legal mumbo jumbo is a waste of time and emotion.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    all that says is cingular has to be your home page. It says nothing about the legality of GOING to another page
    MEdia Net
    If you switch your phone connection from GPRS to a Circuit-Switch Data connection, you will be billed airtime in one-minute increments as provided by your rate plan.
    Does MediaNet use a different type of connection than PDA Connect? That is does one use GPRS and the other use Circuit-Switched Data? Which does which?

Side question: For those that use the phone as a modem, which type of connection is made?
    When using the phone as a modem MediaNet uses WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM, while PDA connect uses ISPDA.CINGULAR.COM