Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just updated my firmware - no problems, everything came back, it appears, and so far it all seems to work.

I'm now at 1.04.

edit: To clarify, the Firmware is now 1.05 and the Software is Treo650-1.04-CNG

I also have recovered a considerable amount of memory - I was at 10.1 MB free (I think, it was right around there, anyway), and now am at 13.7 MB free (47 applications) and more free RAM as well - 9314 KB (free largest chunk as reported by "Memory Info."

Of course, both of these may change over time, I suppose, and it takes an occasional soft reset to keep the high RAM number, as expected.

Gee, I wish I had done a hard rest and restore before this so I could compare the results. Who knew I would get such a dramatic change for the better?

I'd like to ask others to report there results and, if willing, to do a hard rest/restore before the update so a better before and after comparison may be done.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/18/2005 at 11:42 PM.
    Mine is "so far so good'!!!!!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    there is a firmware update??? what is it supposed to fix? where do I get it?
    Where have you been?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    there is a firmware update??? what is it supposed to fix? where do I get it?
    See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78274.

Let's keep this thread limited to experience with the update, please.
    Upgraded my Cingular purchased Treo 650 today with no problems. Free memory increased by 2MB.

So far, everything is working great.

Greg
  7. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    My free memory increased 2.2MB from 8.1 to 10.3.

Everything seems to be working fine.

I am curious what additional fixes are in this release?
    Well I got good news and bad news:

GOOD News:

1. Speed - Since upgrading my Treo was seeming to be about 3 times faster. Couldn't be, I said. Then I look in PowerRun at "load times" from SD Card and sure enough, what was 12 sec (VoiceDial) is now 4. What was 3 seconds is no 1.

2. Navigation slighly different as holding down menu button now cycles between categories for example. New graphic when searching for signal.

3. Memory increased from 13.4 to 16.5 and I added 2 programs and a few databases. With a 4 second load time now, instead of 12, don't think I'd mind waiting for Voice Dial to load. Also have a few programs in memory that I only moved off card at hotsyncs like TrackerDog. And that includes Diet&Exercise Assistant in memory at 1.5 MB.

Bad News:

1. Update flash went fine.

2. Subsequent HotSync to restore data went whacky......actually saw BackupBuddy "uninstalling" things a second or 2 after I saw HotSync install it.

3. After HotSync the reset put me in a continual lopp that no soft or system reset would help.

4. Subsequent HotSync restored only contacts and db's no programs.

5. Had to install all apps by hand which wasn't such a bad thing as I got Uninstall Manager on there 1st this time and did HotSync after installing one program by itself so UM could properly track files.

6. Immediately before I did the upgrade I did a BUB run and the BB log had me sending a message to text support so perhaps that was the root of the problem.

7. I have a few MB less on my SD card now but better there than in memory.

8. SD Card performance still well behind Sprint model (438)

9. Hot Sync Manager reports different "available memory" than PowerRun

Overall I am quite pleased...th snappiness is well received even if the extra work wasn't. The extra memory is a nice bonus.
    OK, I've just got done upgrading my "sacrificial lamb" - my original unit which is awaiting return to the Palm store. I had a couple of hiccups, so I'll list a few salient points to (hopefully) help others avoid similar problems:

• Uninstall any third-party backup conduit and restore the original conduit before you start. I had problems before I uninstalled BackupBuddy - it seems that the process uses some proprietary hooks into the backup/restore process to avoid reinstalling the updater programs during the restore. You can reinstall your third-party backup afterwards.
    • If you're running Uninstall Manager, disable all its functions. You don't want the updater to run in your sandbox like mine tried to!
    • According to the instructions, the unit should automatically launch the updater after the initial Hotsync. Mine did not. The first time, I manually launched the "GSM Updater" app, but that only updated the firmware to 1.05 - it didn't touch the Software. I then tried to launch "D.C." (which apparently stands for Device Configurator) but it failed because it couldn't find a file. The second time, I manually launched D.C., which launched all the necessary sub-processes to complete the updates.
    • After the process was completed, I found that I had an extra couple of meg free memory. However, I suspected that this effect is due to files not being restored rather than more efficient data storage. To test that theory, I did a hard reset and BBVFS restore, and lo and behold, my memory usage was right back where it had been before the upgrade.
    Hope that helps y'all. I'm off to do my new replacement unit now...

Update:

The second unit did automatically launch the updater after the first hotsync, and the whole process went without a hitch after making sure I followed the points above.
    Last edited by jetkins; 03/19/2005 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Update
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Oh, and for the record, these are the files included in the updater:

AAACheckerApp.prc
    AAACheckerApp_deDE.prc
    AAACheckerApp_enUS.prc
    AAACheckerApp_esES.prc
    AAACheckerApp_frFR.prc
    AAACheckerApp_itIT.prc
    CNGReleaseInstallWizard.pdb
    DeviceCustomizerApp.prc
    DeviceCustomizerApp_deDE.prc
    DeviceCustomizerApp_enUS.prc
    DeviceCustomizerApp_esES.prc
    DeviceCustomizerApp_frFR.prc
    DeviceCustomizerApp_itIT.prc
    FirmwareFlasher.pdb
    FirmwareParamInd.pdb
    FirmwarePatch.pdb
    FirmwarePatch2.pdb
    FirmwareStackRel.pdb
    FirmwareUpdaterApp.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_deDE.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_enUS.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_esES.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_frFR.prc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_itIT.prc
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    So...umm...when are all us Sprint users who took the plunge MONTHS ago gonna get something?!?!?!? >:-[
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    So...umm...when are all us Sprint users who took the plunge MONTHS ago gonna get something?!?!?!? >:-[

My guess is this is a patch similar to your roaming patch except for our voicemail issue. This is not the holy grail of updates so I am sure Sprint will have the first real update.

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    [*]Uninstall any third-party backup conduit and restore the original conduit before you start. I had problems before I uninstalled BackupBuddy - it seems that the process uses some proprietary hooks into the backup/restore process to avoid reinstalling the updater programs during the restore. You can reinstall your third-party backup afterwards.
    Is it enough to change the Hotsync action (current and default) of BBuddy to "Do Nothing" (Right-click Hotsync icon in the systray, Custom etc etc) ?

Or is there some more elaborate/complete way to disable BB?

What's the original Backup conduit entry in the Hotsync setup?

I don't see one (I see: Quick Install, Adobe Reader, Versamail, Media, Doc to go, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos, Install, Install Service Templates, Install to card, BackupBuddy)

Thanks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    No problems here. 10.4M free before, 14.1 after.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    the update went well for me, but I lost Voice Dial ?? I recovered more memory but most interesting is that the data connection (double green arrows) nows stays connected. In the past it reconnected every time !!
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I believe that those people the ran the bluetooth patch got those files deleted and moved to rom so I think that is some of the recovered memory, or at least they are gone in my phone now. I am sure that as time passes, we will see thru quirky behavior the other things that were deleted but possibly needed.

Just a thought

rob
    Cingular firmware update worked for me.
    I ran the updater even though I'm waiting for my replacement due to the "Host wake not asserted in time" problem. I was hoping that it might do something about all the resets, but no luck there. I did get 1.5 megs or so back and I didn't install the bluetooth patch. Hopefully my replacement from p1 will be here wednesday and wont have the stupid host wake problem.
    Mine went fine. No memory increase, since I had resently done a hard reset and restore.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    worked perfectly, it took about 5 minutes.
    morris stalk
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast