Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I just discovered one new effect of the upgrade. If you have Shadowmite's Bluetooth DUN BtManager installed, it disables the File Transfer service on the 650 and turning on DUN seems to make the unit unstable. I deleted the RAM copy of BtManager and file transfers worked again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    That's odd - mine never turned the phone on again after a soft reset. After a crash, yes, but never after a manual reset. In fact, there's an application out there called PowerUp which will turn on the phone for you after a reset because it doesn't happen automatically. If yours turns back on by itself, it's unique as far as I know.
    I use Radio Control. Very useful program (free, donationware). It can schedule the phone to donnect and disconnect as well.

http://www.clanhobbs.org/treo/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    That's odd - mine never turned the phone on again after a soft reset. After a crash, yes, but never after a manual reset. In fact, there's an application out there called PowerUp which will turn on the phone for you after a reset because it doesn't happen automatically. If yours turns back on by itself, it's unique as far as I know.
    The Treo itself is turned back on after a soft reset. It's the phone radio that doesn't turn itself back on after a soft reset so a utility program such as PowerUp could do it automatically for you.
    OK, I have read every thread relating to this update. In principle I understand what they want me to do. However as a novice I have a few questions.

I have never installed Backup Buddy or any other backup software. In the instructions from palmOne they tell you to "Change all conduits to 'Synchronize the files'. This ensures a current backup of data normally backed up during a HotSync operation."

There is one setting named Backup in the hotsync custom settings. It is currently set to Handheld overwrites Desktop. What does this "Backup" setting do? Is it similar to Backup Buddy? If it is set to Handheld overwrites Desktop won't that delete all of the files stored on the desktop after I do the upgrade? The palmOne site says that this update will erase all data on your Treo 650 smartphone and revert it to a factory state.

Install, Install Service Templates and Install to Card are currently set to enable.

Everything else is set to 'Synchronize the files'.

With the above mentioned settings and following every instruction in the upgrade from palmOne will I still have my contacts, calendar and anything else that I have loaded in the memory of the computer reinstalled on the handheld? Is there any chance of losing this data?
    Handheld overwites desktop is the correct setting in the beginning, before the update. After the update, when the update wizard tells you to hotsync again to restore the files, I went and chenged the setting to desktop overwites handheld. The files got coped from the PC to the Treo twice, once bt the update wizard, and then by the Bachup conduit. No harm done.

I believe that the update wizard tells the hotsync process to copy the file scorrectly. No way to find out for sure.. Except that other users are not reporting any problems (I doubt that they switch the Backup conduit setting in the middle of it like I did).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Two other questions for our resident experts.

The palmOne site lists two different downloads.
    Treo650-1.02-CNB: Treo650CNBUpdater1_04.zip
    Treo650-1.02-CNG: Treo650CNGUpdater1_04.zip

I currently have 1.02CNG. has anyone taken notice of any differences between the success rates of the two different downloads? I haven't seen this really mentioned in my review of the posts that have been made so far.

Also should I simply remove my SD card before doing this upgrade? Currently all I have stored on it is some pictures.
    Never change the settings for "backup" in the HS conduits. It should always be "handheld overwrited desktop".
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Fabricguy, you should use whichever one matches your current firmware letter code - you have CNG so use CNG. I have CNB so I used CNB.

I would recommend removing the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Fabricguy, you should use whichever one matches your current firmware letter code - you have CNG so use CNG. I have CNB so I used CNB.

I would recommend removing the SD card.
    I wasn't suggesting that I was going to use the CNB version. I was just curious if one was more successful than the other, and hadn't really seen mention of this on TC.
    Newer is usually better and I tend to do most upgrades. So I did the install tonight. Took about 20 minutes with no problems at all. All reg codes appear to be intact.

Is there any way to check if my Cingular phone is still unlocked? I code try reentering the code that Cong sent me, but it would be nice to check the status via some program or code entry

FW: 01.05
    SW: Treo650-1.04-CNG

Went from 7.1M free to 7.8M free.

Looking forward to the next upgrade, hopefully soon.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    1. Slightly more reliable bluetooth connection & a bit faster on the HBH-300
    2. No power cycles since
    3. 2mb freed
    minor improvement... nothing earth shaking.
    Ok, I reinstalled the firmware because of the anomalies listed below. Just make sure you don't forget to do the following.

1. Turn Off Bluetooth and the phone service! I think this was the culprit!
    2. Remove the SD Card.
    3. Have adequate power. Easy thing to fix.
    4. Have adequate memory. I originally did but fixing 1. and 2. made it register as adequate memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Physician User
    I too was originally using:
    Firmware: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG

Now I am using:
    Firmware: 01.05
    Software: Treo650-1.04-CNG

Ok, so I got about a 2M INCREASE in memory. There were multiple anomalies:

1) Not enough juice (battery power). I had to plug it in.
    2) Said I didn't have enough memory for the install! Impossible..there was plenty. However, the install halted and I had to reset.
    3) The install was not spontaneous as noted in the directions. I had to click the icon on the Treo that indicated an install.

After all was said and done, the Cingular Treo 650 indicates a firmware/software update. Did I do things right? Should I reattempt the firmware update? Please let me know.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Never change the settings for "backup" in the HS conduits. It should always be "handheld overwrited desktop".
    Never? What if we want to restore the handheld after a hard reset?

Or restore any file, for that matter, from the backup to the handheld?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    ROM Update went off pretty much without a hitch... except:

- I lost the custom ringtones I added (and the speed-dials settings that were linked to those ringtones)

- Now when I hold down a "Hotkey" letter in the phone App, it dials the number, but no longer gives me the "Hot Key Detected" splash screen.

But now I have those nifty higher numbers under my Phone Info Software!
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    So back to my original question:

Do I have to worry about losing the data in my contacts, calendar, etc. with the custom settings that I had listed in my previous post? Will the desktop transfer them back to the upgraded Treo without the assistance of a backup software program?
    Last edited by Fabricguy; 03/20/2005 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla
    I was wondering if the Treo firmware update fixed the really low volume on the Treo 650 built-in earpierce???

I have the volume turned up on my Treo 650 and it is unacceptable. Have you tried listening to someone when you are driving down the highway? It sucks !!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm interested in this too; I have the same problem. Can anyone chime in on this??

-John
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    I'm interested in this too; I have the same problem. Can anyone chime in on this??

-John
    Did ya do the 3 step adjustment.....it's in another thread and it's been while since I did mine but IIRC, ya gotta:

1. Adjust the ringer volume w/ rocker, quickly hit side button to lock
    2. Make a call, adjust earpiece volume w/rocker, quickly hit side button to lcok
    3, Put on speaker phone, adjsut volume w/ rocker, quickly hit side button to lock

If ya slow, and don't get the button before the image disappears it defaults back to old level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabricguy
    So back to my original question:

Do I have to worry about losing the data in my contacts, calendar, etc. with the custom settings that I had listed in my previous post? Will the desktop transfer them back to the upgraded Treo without the assistance of a backup software program?
    You shouldn't have anything to worry about. I probably wasn't very clear in my post. Generally you should never have the need to change the conduit for "Backup".
    Everything will transfer back to your treo after the upgrade when you hotsync.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by cheers
    I may be setting the memory increase record so far--9.1Mb pre and 14.1Mb post. Definitely seems to move faster. Loses the bluetooth pairing but that is easily reset. I dont use BUB or the DUN patch and the install was effortless.

My bad--the upgrade removed Epocrates from the phone. Now thats its back on my memory increase is only 1.8Mb which seems more in line with other reports.
    Was painless for me, I saw a slight reduction in free memory, but the best part for me is I see much faster results with Blazer. http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed shows 90k - 130k. Before the upgrade the highest I got was 65 - 100.

This might be a coincidence. Has anyone else noticed this?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast