Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    No problems here. I had to reinstall the BLUETOOTH DUN PATCH and VOICE DIALER, but everything else worked great and got 2MB more memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Lesson learned from the 600 update days...

backup your treo

hard reset

do the update under a new user name..."install" or something like that

hard reset after update

restore under regular user ID
    If you follow Dutch's instructions, wouldn't that eliminate the need to uninstall 3rd party apps and disable your Backup program? It's on the P1 instruction page under "temporarily free large chunk of memory".

I did a backup right before the update. Added username "Firmware" on the desktop. Hard reset. Did the update to "Firmware". Hot Sync. Hard reset. Restored from BackupMan. No problems with any 3rd party apps.

I kept close track of my memory. No changes at all. Has anyone determined if their memory gain was from the upgrade or lost data?

By the way, thanks Dutchtrumpet! Worked perfectly your way!
    Any plans heard of a unlocked GSM update (would love to see more memory, among other things)

I bought in Feb. ... currently
    Firmware 1.14
    Software 1.05
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    ...I kept close track of my memory. No changes at all. Has anyone determined if their memory gain was from the upgrade or lost data?

No missing data - though I did save an extra MB until I figured out that VoiceDial needed to be re-installed. . If you have no (or very few) contacts or other small bits of data, you may not notice much difference at all. Assuming a fix for the memory handling was included, large files would stay basically the same size, but very small ones would take up less space. This would explain the widely varying results on memory savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    how do you run D.C. manually.
    It was listed in the All category in the Launcher; just launch it as you would any other application.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I installed this on my AT&T 650. It installed fine, except it did not restore all of my apps and I had to manually reset it at the end. I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to which it would restore and which it wouldn't. No big deal, about an hour's work to figure out what was missing, restore and, in some cases, re-enter prefs and registration codes. Also all of my prefs were wiped out, so I had to redo them, including buttons, owner, sounds, security, etc.

I can't tell if more memory is free, since I haven't finished reinstalling everything, but it looks a bit better.

One thing that gave me pause is that the instructions say to turn off the phone. Fine But when I then do the soft reset, it turns on again! I turned it off before the HotSync.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    One thing that gave me pause is that the instructions say to turn off the phone. Fine But when I then do the soft reset, it turns on again! I turned it off before the HotSync.
    That's odd - mine never turned the phone on again after a soft reset. After a crash, yes, but never after a manual reset. In fact, there's an application out there called PowerUp which will turn on the phone for you after a reset because it doesn't happen automatically. If yours turns back on by itself, it's unique as far as I know.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Let me add the disclaimer that I performed the upgrade on my home computer, whereas I usually sync on my work computer, and that the home computer syncs contacts, memos, and calendar to the Palm desktop and the work computer to Outlook.

With this said, and doubting that this issue had much impact on the process, the upgrade generally worked, except as noted:

1. All registration codes for third-party software (Snapper, Chatter, SpellCheck, PTunes, Uninstaller, and BackupBuddyVFS) were erased (except for PowerRUN).

2. All system preferences were erased, except for the favorites.

3. Epocrates, VoiceMemo, and TreoAlarm applications were erased.

4. SplashMoney's password was erased, enabling unrestricted access to financial data. And, it previously worked, but returned type 400 errors afterward.

5. BackupBuddyVFS archive was deleted from the card.

6. All applications moved to the card by PowerRUN were invisible, but the problem was simply fixed by "updating shortcuts" on PowerRUN menu.

7. The dictionary file for SpellCheck was deleted.

8. Attempted use of VersaMail after the upgrade uniformly caused the Treo to reset. Deleting the files in LinuxGuy's fix of the problem (see his posts on this board), restored VersaMail to its virginal state and the next sync restored the account settings, and then it worked.

9. Not easy to tell how much memory was gained, becaused so many things had to be changed and reset. However, it appears that it gained about 2 Megs of RAM.

10. It does not seem any faster.

11. It does not crash any less frequently: Nine resets in the ~4 hours of use since upgrading (most caused by Phone, a few by beta releases of Chatter, and the rest being various). And, I saw the "white screen of death" for the first time (while running the calendar).

12. Music files and photoalbums on the card were not affected.

13. I recommend you budget more than 30 minutes. It took me a couple of hours to figure out what was missing and get everything restored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    If you follow Dutch's instructions, wouldn't that eliminate the need to uninstall 3rd party apps and disable your Backup program? It's on the P1 instruction page under "temporarily free large chunk of memory".

I did a backup right before the update. Added username "Firmware" on the desktop. Hard reset. Did the update to "Firmware". Hot Sync. Hard reset. Restored from BackupMan. No problems with any 3rd party apps.

I kept close track of my memory. No changes at all. Has anyone determined if their memory gain was from the upgrade or lost data?

Glad it helped!!
    I started with Treo 650 from AT&T (Cingular) and my old SIM from AT&T 600.
    1. Hotsync
    2. Backup with BackupBuddy VFS PRO 3.07
    3. Hard Reset
    4. Create New User "Firmware" in PalmOne Desktop
    5. Diable all conduits in user "Firmware" except install and backup
    6. Hotsync with user "Firmware"
    7. Run update to user "Firmware"
    8. Hotsync with user "Firmware"
    9. Hard reset
    10. Restore with BBVFSPRO3.0.7. Free memory was 4.8, now 5.2 (note: I am not running VoiceDial)
    11. Hotsync with original user name
    12. Delete user "Firmware"

So far it works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    To streamline the process... couldn't we just do the following?

1) Run the Cingular updater, and then
    2)with your updated "factory-state" Treo, simply restore all your apps and data in one operation with BackupBuddy VFS from the SD card (instead of via Hot Sync)?

I've had to do a restore from the card before and it worked like a charm...

My #1 was a warm-reset, but other than that, that's exactly what I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    I started with Treo 650 from AT&T (Cingular) and my old SIM from AT&T 600.
    1. Hotsync
    2. Backup with BackupBuddy VFS PRO 3.07
    3. Hard Reset
    4. Create New User "Firmware" in PalmOne Desktop
    5. Diable all conduits in user "Firmware" except install and backup
    6. Hotsync with user "Firmware"
    7. Run update to user "Firmware"
    8. Hotsync with user "Firmware"
    9. Hard reset
    10. Restore with BBVFSPRO3.0.7. Free memory was 4.8, now 5.2 (note: I am not running VoiceDial)
    11. Hotsync with original user name
    12. Delete user "Firmware"

So far it works fine.
    Oh yeah, that sounds really easy!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    If it ain't broke...
    I was wondering if the Treo firmware update fixed the really low volume on the Treo 650 built-in earpierce???

I have the volume turned up on my Treo 650 and it is unacceptable. Have you tried listening to someone when you are driving down the highway? It sucks !!!!!!!!!!!
    I got the dreaded memory error after the reset,

so I did a hard reset,
    created a new user,
    and then did the update.
    Did another Hard reset,
    and then restored to my original user.

That did the trick.

Items noted...

*VoiceDial had to be reinstalled.
    *Xiino lost my bookmarks.

It does seem a little quicker bringing my Favorites into view, and switching between apps.

I actually lost memory...
    Went from 5.7 to 4.4.

I was originally using:
    Firmware: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG

Now I am using:
    Firmware: 01.05
    Software: Treo650-1.04-CNG

I have been using it for about an hour, and tried all the apps. No resets. Everything seems to work. We'll see what happens as I continue to tweak this thing.

BTW: What is the Blue Tooth Update? I just purchased the phone 4 days ago, and I have not purchased a BT headset, or Figured out which version of PDANet I am going to buy, so I have not really researched any bluetooth items.
    I followed the dutchtrumpet approach. Memory went from 9M free to 11M, after restoring all the apps and data from the original profile.

Prior to the upgrade I tended to get a spontaneous reset about once every three days (Axalto 64k SIM) . So far it's only been one day, but no resets (not that the upgrade was supposed to address this, but you never know).

It may be my imagination, but I think signal strength may have gone down a little since the upgrade. Where I used to consistently get 4 bars from my house, now it seems to vary between 2-4. Hard to say so far if this is a reflection of anything real, though.
    Upgrade without problem. Went from 2.8M free to 3.2 (woop de doo Basil). I had to move one application (iScribe- a medical product) to card to free up enough memory. Moved app back after upgrade and all apps work. Did not have epocrates erased like Maxy did. Snapper works fine; still can't delete Versamail to free up memory (anyone figure out how?)
    I too was originally using:
    Firmware: 01.04
    Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG

Now I am using:
    Firmware: 01.05
    Software: Treo650-1.04-CNG

Ok, so I got about a 2M INCREASE in memory. There were multiple anomalies:

1) Not enough juice (battery power). I had to plug it in.
    2) Said I didn't have enough memory for the install! Impossible..there was plenty. However, the install halted and I had to reset.
    3) The install was not spontaneous as noted in the directions. I had to click the icon on the Treo that indicated an install.

After all was said and done, the Cingular Treo 650 indicates a firmware/software update. Did I do things right? Should I reattempt the firmware update? Please let me know.

Thanks.
    Upgrade no problem - took about 20 mins total. + approx 2 MB memory. The 650 does seem a bit more "snappy" and responsive, but that could be pure induction.

MR
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    If yours turns back on by itself, it's unique as far as I know.
    It's always done that on a soft reset for me, and no, I don't have any app loaded that turns it on for me (to the best of my knowledge.)

Now if I could just get it to STOP turning off the phone unexpectedly, I'd be happy... I have a theory that it does this during a prolonged "no signal" state. Ah well...
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast