Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    I was unable to get the upgrade to work automatically. After 3 tries I decided to run the GSM Updater manually. That worked fine. My firmware is now 1.05.

I tried to run the D.C. app manually but keep getting a "Cannot find the operation application" message. To Jetkins or anyone else who ran this manually, how were you able to run it??

Solved my problem: If the install won't run automatically, make sure you
    run the D.C. app and not GSM Updater. D.C. will run GSM Updater.
    Last edited by phran; 03/19/2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Solved my problem
    Uninstalled Backupbuddy, repaired Palm Desktop (to get their Backup conduit), Hotsync, renamed Backup to "Before Firmware Update", Hotsynced again (to create the standard Backup folder), disabled McPhling, Butler, Radio Control, followed directions to the letter.

Update went smooth as silk. Got all the applications back.

Memory went from 8.x Megs free to 12 Megs free.

Question: Should we apply the Bluetooth update? or all prior updates are rolled into this one?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Using Info, I still see AAAChecker on my phone, using 45k. I wonder if I should delete it. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    [*]Uninstall any third-party backup conduit and restore the original conduit before you start. I had problems before I uninstalled BackupBuddy - it seems that the process uses some proprietary hooks into the backup/restore process to avoid reinstalling the updater programs during the restore. You can reinstall your third-party backup afterwards.[*]If you're running Uninstall Manager, disable all its functions. You don't want the updater to run in your sandbox like mine tried to!
    Were these instructions anywhere on the instructions page ? I saw a few warnings about some other programs which I never used but didn't see anything about BUB.
    It's hard for P1 to predict all the 3rd party programs that change the "normal" mode of behavior of the system. I learned from this forum to uninstall BUB.

It makes sense.. because the firmware update process requires hotsyncs to backup and restore the device before and after the update. So, if BUB messes around with the standard Backup conduit, that can create problems ..

Any application (like various launchers, Butler-like applications, Radio-control) that change the UI or have some action after reset should be disabled because the update process has multiple resets ...

Commeon sense stuff, but quite often overlooked. I wouldn't have thought about disabling BUB..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    To streamline the process... couldn't we just do the following?

1) Run the Cingular updater, and then
    2)with your updated "factory-state" Treo, simply restore all your apps and data in one operation with BackupBuddy VFS from the SD card (instead of via Hot Sync)?

I've had to do a restore from the card before and it worked like a charm...
    Last edited by mhzimmer; 03/19/2005 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I learned from this forum to uninstall BUB.
    I noticed....your post was right below my BUB broke my 650 post <grin>.

I wasn't aware BUB messed with the conduit, I thought it used its own. I don't use Launchers or anything alse so I thought I was cool ..... I shoulda waited a day and let someone else bleed
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer

2)with your updated "factory-state" Treo, simply restore all your apps and data in one operation with BackupBuddy VFS from the SD card (instead of via Hot Sync)?

After my hard reset, FileZ couldn't see anything on the card.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

That's what I did...worked fine.
    During the firmware update I removed the card, just in case.
    Obviously BUB should first be installed on the card as an app.
    Do a backup to the card and create a checkpoint..."before firmware".
    I disabled BackupBuddy but the install program reactivated it (or the standard backup showed the BB screen, don't know which). I just hit cancel. I then did not do the step to restore my data through hotsync, as I had a backup on my card. Everything looks good.

I disabled TreoGuard, TealScript and Uninstall Manager, just in case.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    That's what I did...worked fine.
    During the firmware update I removed the card, just in case.
    Obviously BUB should first be installed on the card as an app.
    Do a backup to the card and create a checkpoint..."before firmware".
    I'm confused about a couple things here:
    Why would you need to create a checkpoint called "before firmware" (aren't you just bringing the apps and data over after the update -- and not affecting the OS)

How do you create such a checkpoint and what do you do with it?

Thanks...
    I was prepared to return my 650 to Cingular on Monday...I had so many issues (wrong SIM card, Network Time issue, freezes, random resets). I've only had the thing 3 days and I've been to the store twice.

But this update seems to have done the trick. Not only do I have more memory, but I have more than should be possible!!! With Documents To Go's Tech tool (the one that moves some of their app to the card) it says:

"19.3MB of 18.0MB free"

Clearly some programmer hardwired 18MB as an upper limit!

In addition to the benefits expounded upon earlier, it seems to do a better job with apps on cards and groups...maybe it did these things before, but I had so many issues keeping the thing from resetting, I didn't get to play that much! Maybe someone with more time and maybe two Treo's (or a better memory of the old 650) can compile a complete list of benefits.

I'm hesitant to try it, but has anyone turned Enable Local Network Time back on?
    My Treo has been trouble free, with Network time een before the update.

It is enabled now. No problems after the firmware update either ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I'm confused about a couple things here:
    Why would you need to create a checkpoint called "before firmware" (aren't you just bringing the apps and data over after the update -- and not affecting the OS)

How do you create such a checkpoint and what do you do with it?

Thanks...
    You can create a checkpoint immediately after doing a normal backup. Do the backup then go to the menu and select 'checkpoints...' then click on new and give it a short name like 'Bfr.Frmwr.050319'. Hit OK and you have a backup point that won't get overwritten on your next backup.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I am totally envious of people who got more memory after the update. Does anyone know for sure if the update had anything to do with the increased memory or is it mainly due to resetting? I think maybe why I did not se any memory increase is because most of my memory is taken up by large apps. The various database files on my treo are not very large.

Can someone please explain this memory issue and why I am not getting any more memory after the upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    You can create a checkpoint immediately after doing a normal backup. Do the backup then go to the menu and select 'checkpoints...' then click on new and give it a short name like 'Bfr.Frmwr.050319'. Hit OK and you have a backup point that won't get overwritten on your next backup.
    I understand now... you're using a different version of Backup Buddy!

I have the regular BB version 2.15, not BB pro, so I can't do checkpoints. I guess I can just do a backup to a separate SD card just to be sure -- and that way, keep a separate "before update" file backup. (Though it doesn't appear I'll need it.)
    I may be setting the memory increase record so far--9.1Mb pre and 14.1Mb post. Definitely seems to move faster. Loses the bluetooth pairing but that is easily reset. I dont use BUB or the DUN patch and the install was effortless.
    Here's an answer from the folks at BlueNomad regarding the Cingular ROM Upgrade on the 650.

"Yikes.. sorry to hear about that ordeal. I think the problem with this kind of update is that BB and Palm hotsync are both trying to restore the device.

You may have to disable BackupBuddy when doing a firmware upgrade like
    this one. BB will try to restore all the previous system files which would
    possibly cause a conflict with the new firmware. You could disable the BackupBuddy conduit in hotsync manager for the one hotsync.

I think PalmOne should include some info about how to do a firmware upgrade
    with third party backup software."

So it looks like, if ya know in advance it's simple....just turn of BUB in HotSync.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phran
    I was unable to get the upgrade to work automatically. After 3 tries I decided to run the GSM Updater manually. That worked fine. My firmware is now 1.05.

I tried to run the D.C. app manually but keep getting a "Cannot find the operation application" message. To Jetkins or anyone else who ran this manually, how were you able to run it??

Solved my problem: If the install won't run automatically, make sure you
    run the D.C. app and not GSM Updater. D.C. will run GSM Updater.
    I had the same issue because I did not do a real Soft Reset. Instead, I just took the battery out and back in which I gues is not the same as a Soft reset. You must push the button in in the back for it to work.

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    OK, I've just got done upgrading my "sacrificial lamb" - my original unit which is awaiting return to the Palm store. I had a couple of hiccups, so I'll list a few salient points to (hopefully) help others avoid similar problems:

• Uninstall any third-party backup conduit and restore the original conduit before you start. I had problems before I uninstalled BackupBuddy - it seems that the process uses some proprietary hooks into the backup/restore process to avoid reinstalling the updater programs during the restore. You can reinstall your third-party backup afterwards.
    • If you're running Uninstall Manager, disable all its functions. You don't want the updater to run in your sandbox like mine tried to!
    • According to the instructions, the unit should automatically launch the updater after the initial Hotsync. Mine did not. The first time, I manually launched the "GSM Updater" app, but that only updated the firmware to 1.05 - it didn't touch the Software. I then tried to launch "D.C." (which apparently stands for Device Configurator) but it failed because it couldn't find a file. The second time, I manually launched D.C., which launched all the necessary sub-processes to complete the updates.
    • After the process was completed, I found that I had an extra couple of meg free memory. However, I suspected that this effect is due to files not being restored rather than more efficient data storage. To test that theory, I did a hard reset and BBVFS restore, and lo and behold, my memory usage was right back where it had been before the upgrade.
    Hope that helps y'all. I'm off to do my new replacement unit now...

Update:

The second unit did automatically launch the updater after the first hotsync, and the whole process went without a hitch after making sure I followed the points above.
    I just got my Treo and haven't used the PalmOS for 5 years how do you run D.C. manually. I am getting the same issue. A soft-reset failed...issue still occurring.
    Last edited by Celestial; 03/20/2005 at 09:21 AM. Reason: more info to post
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast