Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    Alrighty, this seems to be the thread to post this in.

I got my Treo Saturday, was running the old 1.02CNG software with 1.04 firmware. Voicemail retrival was NOT working, it wouldn't dial correctly (said it couldn't connect) and when it did it would read out '0000660000000' as my Voicemail. Obviously that's bad. Even though the call forwarding settings are set to not forward calls but to send them to the right number. Well, I look around and hey, a Voicemail updater. Perfect!

Wrong. Updated and still have the voicemail problem. Some things I did and didn't do.

-I did not hard reset and create a dummy hotsync profile. I've already updated the firmware, should I do this and give it a go anyways?
    -In my opinion the people at PalmOne really dropped the ball not letting me set the number I need to dial to retrieve my voicemail. Anyone know a way around this?
    -So now I'm running the 1.04CNG firmware with 1.05 software. Should I go ahead and update to the latest Cingular update? I'm pretty happy with my setup so far (besides not getting to voicemail, I'm having to dial my LVM to get it) and everyone's complaining of nasty little bugs with it; something I'm trying to avoid.

Help!
    Well, tried hard reseting...no dice. I'm really lookin' for help now, cause right now I think I'm just going to go ahead and upgrade to the newest firmware. Since my Treo is Cingular branded but code unlocked, any advice on if I should use the ROW firmware update or the Cingular one?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I second that - any advice to use ROW firmware update or the Cingular one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie_S
    Well, tried hard reseting...no dice. I'm really lookin' for help now, cause right now I think I'm just going to go ahead and upgrade to the newest firmware. Since my Treo is Cingular branded but code unlocked, any advice on if I should use the ROW firmware update or the Cingular one?
    Well, if you have already done a hard reset, you are free to try either. If you do not the like the result of one, try the other. Am I missing something?
    Volume worse that ever.
    Powers off in 30 seconds.
    Reboots when "update contacts".
    Versamail is so slooooooooow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    Volume worse that ever.
    VolumeCare addresses this problem
    Powers off in 30 seconds.
    StopDim and ProfileCare addresses this issue

Reboots when "update contacts".
    Versamail is so slooooooooow.
    You are on your own with these issues.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Well, if you have already done a hard reset, you are free to try either. If you do not the like the result of one, try the other. Am I missing something?
    I am buying a SIM Unlocked Cingular 650. Which is the best Updater to apply if I intend to use it on T-Mobile in the US and roam internationally on other networks?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    I am buying a SIM Unlocked Cingular 650. Which is the best Updater to apply if I intend to use it on T-Mobile in the US and roam internationally on other networks?
    I would probably use the one from Palm for unlocked phones but one from any GSM carrier should work the same for most purposes.

Keep in mind that GSM is an interoperability standard. No customization should interfere with the ability of a Treo to roam from network to network.

There are several kinds of customization. One is to simplify setup and support on the selling carrier. A second is to support contractual provisions (e.g., locking). A third is to support services that are unique to that carrier, including urls (e.g., Blazer home page), for the carrier's servers. None of this should interfere with with interoperability across carriers, SIMs (except as provided by your contract), or most internet functions.

Oops. Forgot one. There may be some roaming network preferences built in. GSM phones ought to interoperate on any carrier under the standard GSM agreement. However, carriers often have preferential agreements with other carriers. These show up to you as lower rates (and to them as lower costs). Keep in mind that some countries may have six or more GSM carriers. While your phone will work on any of them, you would like for it to default to any one with favorable terms.

I advise you to do a little research on local carriers when visiting a foreign country for more than a day or two. I recall a trip to Singapore where the default carrier did not support GPSR. Connecting to mail and Internet over a dial, rather than GPSR, was more expensive.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/02/2005 at 09:09 AM.
    Thanks for the advice. I have tested with an active cell contract I have in my destination country and know I can do voice and data there. I will check the device when I get it and update to the Palm GSM Unlocked Version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

You are on your own with these issues.

Jeff

so we have to buy additional software to make this $500 phone function correctly? that is crap. later.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicoat
    so we have to buy additional software to make this $500 phone function correctly? that is crap. later.
    It sucks that plam/cingular make a product that does not work as expected but Jeff's solutions do work!
    Yes, wake up and smell the coffee.

We pay $400 for a PDA phone, and then spend hundreds more on 3rd party software to correct and make up for Palms TRASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    Yes, wake up and smell the coffee.

We pay $400 for a PDA phone, and then spend hundreds more on 3rd party software to correct and make up for Palms TRASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant afford coffee. spent all my money on me treo and extra apps. later.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Jeff
    Actually I can't get Profile Care to solve the 30 second problem. If I set a profile to 3 minutes screen off then it does wait 3 minutes - for a while. Then Palm OS seems to overwrite whatever Profile Care is setting and it goes back to 30 seconds. I can see the two programs fighting each other. The only way I could figure out to handle this is setup LOTS of profiles in Profile care and tell it to reset the screen off delay every minute or so.

What a waste of processing power.

The other thing that galls me is how the screen wakes up whenever the phone reaquires signal. I was camping this weekend in a statepark and was right on the edge of a signal. Apparently my phone kept coming on and off all night because the next morning it was dead battery city.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyray
    Actually I can't get Profile Care to solve the 30 second problem. If I set a profile to 3 minutes screen off then it does wait 3 minutes - for a while. Then Palm OS seems to overwrite whatever Profile Care is setting and it goes back to 30 seconds. I can see the two programs fighting each other. The only way I could figure out to handle this is setup LOTS of profiles in Profile care and tell it to reset the screen off delay every minute or so.

What a waste of processing power.

The other thing that galls me is how the screen wakes up whenever the phone reaquires signal. I was camping this weekend in a statepark and was right on the edge of a signal. Apparently my phone kept coming on and off all night because the next morning it was dead battery city.

I'm so pleased I'm not the only crazy one. This auto random on, is pathetic. Totally weak. I'm a Physician, and imagine trying to call patients and the hospital with a dead phone. RIDICULOUS !
    Finally got around to updating to 1.15-CNG hoping to fix problems caused by filling up memory. Freed up 7.5MB! I have many small records (e.g., 4000 calendar entries, various SmartList DBs, etc), so the change from 512B to 32B minimum record size was helpful.

Device seems to retain my 1min inactivity time setting, rather than forcing me to 30sec as reported in this thread.
    [Correction: the 1min test result was before I turned on the phone radio for the first time. Since then, and whether the radio is on or off, the auto-off is 30sec despite settings to the contrary.]

-Jeff DLB
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 10/22/2005 at 10:26 AM.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    I applied the ROW Updater to an unlocked Cingular 650. The Updater ran and completed, and reported "this update not compatible with your device" at the end of the process. It seems like it was 1/2 sucessful. The splash screens are now generic Treo screens, but the space issue and other items do not seem to have taken effect. It also still show some of the proprietary Cingular software like xpress mail. Firmware still reads Cingular 1.05 Software 1.04CNG

On the other hand, the device is working and stable. So ...anyone else get this error message and what did you do? re-update? Update to Cingular Updater? Nothing?
    Update went fine; but...

Sound quality now terrible on both ends. The received voice sounds chopped and on the other end I receive complaints about my voice cutting out or seemingly over modulating. In places my voice was once crystal clear it is now horrible and distorted. (This is directly from the unit; no headset.)

Versamail will not sync automatically despite my best efforts.

Other than that everything is lovely. No more random crashes! Then again, if I can't get my mail automatically what's the point?
    I can now report complete success in transitioning from a Treo 600 to a Treo 650 and updating. I was able to apply the CNG 1.17/1/51 Updater and have successfully paired with the SuperTooth II Carkit, as well as my laptop using a Kensington USB Bluetooth key. With the help of PDANet I have made both USB and bluetooth based web connections and all is well. All software is stable. Voice quality is fine. Only gripes are the dimming of the screen during calls and the inability to broadcast mp3's to the carkit. I tried AlwaysOn and it is overcome by the Treo's programming to dimm the screen 30 seconds into and after all calls. Anyone know a work around for this or the mp3 issue?
    Not sure but StopDim from GoTreo may work.