1.    #1  
    I have two phone numbers i migrated from ATTWS To Cingular i have the treo and the other is just a motorola doing a family plan.

My first bill for cingular was 40 dollar.

Now i just got my second bill but its a full bill and wow its a lot.
    145$

I have the PDA/Data plan on my phone 39.99 i think i need to switch it to what you all recommend to the 24.99 media plan. If i drop the PDA plan and add the MEdia Plan, is there any special configuration that i have to do on the treo?

Also if anyone got their bill already i dont seem to understand one thing.
    Just for the treo the bill is about 119$
    Broken down like this
    39.99 voice plan
    39.99 PDA/PLAN
    2.99 100 TXT messages
    17.99 Usage Charge <--- what the hell is this
    7.25 taxes
    11.50 goverment taxes

on top of that is the other phone chargers
    19.99 extra line
    .02 usage charge
    and about 5 dollars in taxes.

oh it also seems that i have to call cingular to drop the PDA plan because i can't do it online, but i can add the Media plan.
    Last edited by Jnetty99; 03/18/2005 at 10:00 AM.
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I feel your pain. I recently switched to Cingular from AT&T and the taxes and hidden charges are insane. They added a full 25% on top of my basic rate plans. Highway robbery....
    I think that the $17.99 Usage Charge you refer to is the $18 they charge to migrate you from AT&T to Cingular.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbutler
    I think that the $17.99 Usage Charge you refer to is the $18 they charge to migrate you from AT&T to Cingular.
    mm ok but the second phone got a charge of .02

picture of bill
    here is a picture

I'm going to call them later and ask them about it but i still need confirmation if i switch to the MEdia plan if i have to change any settings on my treo to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99
    Also if anyone got their bill already i dont seem to understand one thing.
    Just for the treo the bill is about 119$
    Broken down like this
    39.99 voice plan
    39.99 PDA/PLAN
    2.99 100 TXT messages
    17.99 Usage Charge <--- what the hell is this
    7.25 taxes
    11.50 goverment taxes

on top of that is the other phone chargers
    19.99 extra line
    .02 usage charge
    and about 5 dollars in taxes.
    Sometimes those charges can be confusing. Let me see if I can clarify it a bit for you...

39.99 Voice lure you in plan
    39.99 Data Plan for those who will pay it..
    7.40 For Sending TXT messages
    6.30 For having friends that like to send you TXT msg
    2.50 For thinking about sending a TXT msg
    9.45 Rectal Lube Charge
    4.50 Service Charge for using said lube.
    7.50 Maintence of Dead Zones charges.

17.99 (Ab)usage Charge
    7.25 state taxes
    11.50 goverment taxes
    1.24 Thumb Taxes
    7.90 Zimbabwean consulate charge

Hope that helps
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    Sometimes those charges can be confusing. Let me see if I can clarify it a bit for you...

9.45 Rectal Lube Charge

17.99 (Ab)usage Charge
    7.25 state taxes
    11.50 goverment taxes
    1.24 Thumb Taxes

Hope that helps

I have to admit that clears everything up.
    I'm with T-Mobile. I have the $39.99 600 whenever minutes plan and the $19.99 unlimited internet plan. My monthly bill totals $64 and change. OTOH, my coverage is not as good in the boonies as ATT/Cingular.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I feel your pain. I recently switched to Cingular from AT&T and the taxes and hidden charges are insane. They added a full 25% on top of my basic rate plans. Highway robbery....
    I agree 200%. I just upgraded from a Treo 600 (which I never actually activated after evaluating a prepaid SIM for a while) to a Treo 650, but am still shocked at how much my bill will be if I switch from my ancient AT&T TDMA (family 3-phone) plan to a Cingular plan with data for the Treo.

My current TDMA plan for three phones and about 500 minutes is $70. That's $50 plus two additional shared lines at $10 each. Now, Cingular tells me that in order to get $10 add-on lines on GSM, I have to sign up for a $70 family plan (or more). That makes $90 for three lines. "But," they add, "you'll get 1100 roll-over minutes." I don't NEED 1100 minutes. 500 was working just fine, thank you. If I instead sign up for a 450-minute plan for $40, then the extra lines cost me $20 each, and I would then be paying $80 for three lines and fewer minutes.

My choice, then, just for moving straight over to GSM, is to pay $10 more for less minutes than I have now, or $20 more for way more than I need. That might not be so bad, but then there's the high cost of data. That's ok, as I obviously didn't have that before, but I really resent having to pay more for voice too.

If they really want to get people off the old TDMA network (as I've heard they do), then why on EARTH don't they offer us a straight-across transfer? They don't have to offer it to new subscribers; I've been an AT&T subscriber for something like 10 years now. Isn't that worth SOMETHING? For that kind of loyalty (three lines on my plan) and about $10,000 in revenues, they reward me by asking me to pay $20 more per month for what I still suspect may not even be as good of coverage as I've had on my TDMA phone (and unreal data rates too).

Plus, it sounds like the previous $20 and $25 data plans that people were able to get on their Treos may be a thing of the past? Do they really think I'm going to pay $20 more for voice AND $45 more for data (per phone)? To read a few web sites and emails from time to time? Get REAL!

Some might say "well fine, then don't get the unlimited plan". That would be fine, if the cheaper plans were designed for a SmartPhone rather than a camera phone. I don't really NEED a totally unlimited plan, but I would like more than 10MB or 20MB of data before the meter starts racking up the overage charges.

Of course, my wife will ask "What about me?" to which I have to respond "well, our $70 cellular bill is already going to $90 just for voice, and then $45 more for each of us to add wireless data? That takes it from $70 to $180!" No way. I guess only one of us gets data now, if even that.

Or, I could just carry the 650 around as a Treo with a better screen, keyboard, and camera, and when people ask me which carrier I have, I will just continue to say "None yet... I'm waiting for a Cingular plan that isn't going to send me to the poor house." :-(

Perhaps (like others have suggested) I really should've just moved to Sprint but in that case, I just got (for work) the wrong Treo. <sigh> Am I naive to hope that Cingular will figure this out at some point before all the old TDMA customers leave for other carriers?

How's t-mobile on a 650 in the Bay Area? Their rate plans sound good, but I was not very impressed with the old Cingular network (which allegedly is what t-mobile is using). Does t-mo support EDGE or only GPRS? <sigh>
    I had usage charges with the unlimited data plan, i phoned and they admitted they were in error ! They took them off and the next billing cycle they seemed to sort it out as i didnt have any charges !

I would call em and ask em !
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru

9.45 Rectal Lube Charge

17.99 (Ab)usage Charge
    7.25 state taxes
    11.50 goverment taxes
    1.24 Thumb Taxes

Hope that helps

Thank you! That's the first laugh I've had all day.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Geez, consider moving to Sprint. For about $112 a month, I've got 4 lines, unlimited Vision (data) on one, 100 txt messages, free nights after 7:00pm and free weekends, free Sprint to Sprint calls. For another $5 I can get unlimited text messages, I think.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemketron
    How's t-mobile on a 650 in the Bay Area? Their rate plans sound good, but I was not very impressed with the old Cingular network (which allegedly is what t-mobile is using). Does t-mo support EDGE or only GPRS? <sigh>
    Well, to answer some of my own questions, I just signed up for t-mobile since I can cancel it within 30 days if I don't want to keep it. For $59, I got two lines (500 minutes each) and the 3rd line will be another $10. Add $20 more for unlimited data on my Treo 650 and the total comes out to $25-$45 less per month than Cingular (depending on which plan Cingular is requiring for Treo users these days).

However, after only a day, I have to say I'm a bit bummed at the number of times I've discovered the device had no signal -- like in the middle of a park in Cupertino, or at a friend's house in Sunnyvale. What I don't know is whether or not Cingular (on AT&T's 850 network) would have had signal in these places where I had nothing on t-mobile (presumably using Cingular's old 1900 network).

Anyone have (RECENT) direct comparison experience of t-mobile and Cingular coverage (like does Cingular work where t-mobile does not) in Silicon Valley?

I absolutely love the 650, but am still seeking decent coverage. Perhaps I'll have to stick with t-mobile for now and switch to Verizon once the 1-year t-mobile contract is up...

(Is there a better or more appropriate thread or area in which to discuss Bay Area GSM coverage and carrier comparisons?)