1.    #1  
    Logged on today to see a new data plan list as copied below....notice the new data plans indicated in bold.....

Perhaps more importantly or maybe I just noticed this, the Media Net Description says "With MEdia Net, you can browse the wireless Internet from your wireless device allowing you to download ringtones and games, share photos, and much more. MEdia Net lets you switch to voice calls without closing the Internet or losing your connection. Plus, you don't pay for the time you use the service, just for the amount of data you send and receive. MEdia Net is only available with GPRS devices.

It's that last part I am questioning as I don't think I have seen it before. And with everyone complaining of a recent speed drop (and I am assuming they not on the PDA Plan, I am now wondering if Cingular has sloughed off their MediaNet users to the slower plain ole GPRS transmission rate and giving those who cough up the extra buckaroos for PDA plans are getting access to the faster Edge Stuff ?

Also noted that Media Basic is 2 cents a Kb if you go over ya limit and the "pay as you go" with no plan is 1 centa kb.

Available Features

Feature Monthly Charge

Data Connect 20MB $34.99 Add feature
    Data Connect 10MB $24.99 Add feature

PDA Connect - Unlimited $39.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 2500 messages/month $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - Unlimited $24.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 8 MB/month $19.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 200 messages/month $4.99 Add feature
    Extended Nights and Weekends $7.00 Add feature
    MEdia Works $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Basic $9.99 Add feature
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - 4 MB/month $34.99 Add feature
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - Unlimited $44.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Shared Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Voice Connect $4.99 Add feature
    Detailed Billing $0.99 Add feature
    Enhanced Voice Mail $3.99 Add feature
    Roadside Assistance $2.99 Add feature
    Three-Way Calling $0.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 50 messages/month $2.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 1000 messages/month $9.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 3 MB/month $9.99 Add feature
    Basic Voice Mail $1.99 Add feature
    Call Forwarding $0.99 Add feature
    Cingular does not know how to send slow data to some devices and fast data to some. If the device is EDGE capable, and EDGE is available, you will get EDGE speeds no matter how slick you think Cingular is. As for the differences between the plans, please do a search. We've discussed these at length in many threads.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    As for the differences between the plans, please do a search. We've discussed these at length in many threads.
    Before you chastise someone, it would be beneficial if you took the time to read the post more thoroughly or perhaps do a search yourself. I stated that I had "logged on today [to the Cingular site] to see a new data plan list". That means it wasn't there 24 housr ago and it is now.

Yes, we have discussed the plans at length and I have been involved in many of them. The fact is that the two highlighted plans in bold were NOT previously listed on the Cingular site and hence the new post. I don't quite understand how you can state that something which wasn't on the Cingular site 24 hours ago could have been previously discussed. I have copies of the Cingular web pages posted in various threads just about every other day for the last two weeks and the first two are simply not in the list. Want proof ?

Look at this thread

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=76598

Scroll down to message #18 and you will NOT see the two data plans that are in the recent post.

Look at this thread, message 23....not there either

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...3&page=2&pp=20

Or this one, message 23

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...2&page=2&pp=20

Do you see Data Connect 20MB $34.99 or Data Connect 10MB $24.99 in any of those three posts which were direct copy / pastes off the Cingular web site on the dates indicated ? Well if they weren't there then and they are now, would this not qualify as "new information" ?

If the device is EDGE capable, and EDGE is available, you will get EDGE speeds no matter how slick you think Cingular is
    I know for a fact that my "Edge capable device" got no data services for a period of 4 days last week. So the above statement can not be true as Edge was certainly "available" but my speed was 0. Phone worked fine but no data at all. Took 6 days and 4 phone calls for my "Edge capable device" to begin receiving any data again. If they can remotely turn a device off from data only and leave the phone working, it doesn't seem unfathomable that they could also limit thoroughput. And again, if you read more carefully, I didn't say they did, I said I was questioning if they could, hoping those more knowledegable than myself might elaborate.
    LOL. You seem worked up. Vacation, sex, or both are in order. I wasn't chastizing you when I said "please do a search." I don't always read everyone's posts or remember their nicknames.

As for your last part, did you really think my statement precluded the fact that you must be subscribed, in good standing, and your provisioning is correct? Your "EDGE capable device" had its data provisioning screwed up by some nitwit at Cingular. That's why your phone worked for voice, and not data. The two provisions are independent of one another. My statement assumes you subscribe to a data plan. You don't get EDGE speed data, or any data if you're not subscribed, or when there's something wrong with your provisioning.

"MEdia Net is only available with GPRS devices" is a statement of fact, and has always been there as far as I remember. Any phone that is data capable is called a GPRS device, including the tiny flip phones that can access MEdia Net, send SMS, and pictures. That term came long before EDGE was implemented.
    an EDGE device IS a GPRS device. What am I missing? FWIW I still get EDGE data rates with MediaNet.
  6.    #6  
    LOL. You seem worked up. Vacation, sex, or both are in order. I wasn't chastizing you when I said "please do a search."
    Regardless of what you "intended", saying "please do a search. We've discussed these at length in many threads" comes across as dismissive and accusatory. In other words "Stop being lazy and making me go thru the extra effort of having to read this drivel. " If the new information was actually discussed on the forum previously, it is not a bad response to a newb who perhaps wasn't astute enough of how to word or conduct a proper search, though it's not a path I would take. I'd point to a few threads and then perhaps say "I found these by doing a forum search on the words "this", "that" and "the other thing".

In other words, if you were right, it would have been a gentle chastisement, but when you don't check the facts first, you opened yourself up for one yaself . Just an attempt to promote greater civility on my part. Perhaps I was overly sensitive after having scrolled several poltical diatribe thread titles before this thread <g>.

As for the subscription part, I was subscribed and in good standing, at least according to "My Account" on the web site. Cingular said that my data acess was being moved to another "level of service", I think was the word she used, and I was "inadvertently switched off". It then went from a "it should be fixed and functioning in 10 minutes" to "we are working on it, I will call you back later today" to "we can't figure it out, it's gonna take 7 to 10 days". I don't know if it helped but I said "I could always take it back to the store in the next 2 days and get a Sprint model as I am within my 30 day return period.
    As an outside voice on this...

I'm curious as to why my speeds have slowed down so drastically (I'm on MediaNet Unlimited), so I'm happy to see this observation of Cingular's website brought up.
    sunil
    so is the EDGE with the 650 really that much faster???
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    so is the EDGE with the 650 really that much faster???
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail."
    mmmmmmoving on. LOL
    you guys are a bunch of wussies
    Well, there's an informed opinion for ya. Teen chat rooms are down the hall.
    Well, there's an informed opinion for ya. Teen chat rooms are down the hall.
    OWNED.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"