1.    #1  
    A CTIA report that I read on the web talks about HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet access) andsupposed to be backwards compatible with GPRS and EDGE systems.

Sierra Wireless was previewing a new card (The AirCard 860) that will allow download speeds of 1.8Mbps and uploads of 384Kbps, similar to DSL and some cable modems.*

Everyone is hoping that the HSDPA cards and the new wireless networks they’ll work on will be up and running by the end of 2005.

Is this why T-Mo is seemingly skipping Enhanced Data GSM Environment (EDGE)? Anybody have any other info?
  2.    #2  
    Samsung was also demonstrating (HSDPA) at CTIA.
    I too heard a lot of hspda talk at CTIA. I would doubt that T-Mobile would skip over umts and edge which are much more viable solutions right now. Hspda is still a ways out.
    Treoseur
    EDGE will be available, even nokia 3220 is on tentative list
    HSDPA is a software upgrade of UMTS. Don't expect it till 2007.
  6.    #6  
    Hhm... Cingular was also demoing HSDPA with LG phones. Cingular is already testing this in some areas and will roll it out at the end of 2005. This is a crazy fast network. The LG phone I guess supported H.263, H.264, MPEG4, WMV, MP3, AAC, AAC+, and WM; all for video and music on demand.

I am hoping T-Mobile will go straight to HSDPA since I have not heard reliable information (or even any hint of intention) regarding future EDGE support... or UMTS for that matter.
    as I said
    EDGE will surely happen THIS YEAR
    they just don't give the date yet
    keep in mind, nokia 3220 is the very first EDGE phone T will sell
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    as I said
    EDGE will surely happen THIS YEAR
    they just don't give the date yet
    If they don't give the date yet, then how do you know it will happen this year?

Not trying to be confrontational, I just want to know.
  9.    #9  
    Ohhhhhh man!

Lucent will also be starting up as a provider to give us HSDPA access. I just read at Engadget.com that they had a “real world” deployment scenario at CTIA – high quality streaming video while ALSO transferring files at about 350KBps.

WTF! Where is T-Mobile? (Not even gonna ask about PalmOne hardware)
    search the article
    T-Mobile 3G at least 2 years away
    at the end of article, the CEO, Robert Dotson, stated EDGE will be launched in 2005 (this year)
    and, T-Mobile never sells the phone which the system don't support (that's why they don't sell 6220)
    they're planning to sell 3220, and it supports EDGE, this is a sign
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    search the article
    T-Mobile 3G at least 2 years away
    at the end of article, the CEO, Robert Dotson, stated EDGE will be launched in 2005 (this year)
    and, T-Mobile never sells the phone which the system don't support (that's why they don't sell 6220)
    Link Please. What article?
  13.    #13  
    Crap! That stinks.
    As I've posted elsewhere, a CR told me August.