1.    #1  
    When I called AT&T to inquire about buying a 650, the rep mentioned that eventually, all AT&T customers would be migrated to Cingular.

My question - if I purchase an AT&T locked T650 and they eventually migrate me to Cingular, am I hosed?

I would like to think that they would unlock the device for me, but I have never had a positive customer service experience...

Thanks,
    You are hosed either way. LOL. Just kidding I don't think you'll have a problem when the time comes to migrate. As for unlocking your phone, I'm not sure if that is going to be the method. It could be a system update to accept your existing SIM.

There are a lot of unanswered questions during the early stages of a merger/acquisition, that get answered as time goes by and the need to address them becomes apparent.

I know many blue store employees are not happy with the merger. Some told me they had to take pay cuts, and others complained about having no direct link to tech support, or porting. They have to call the same numbers we do, and hold for as long as we do
  3.    #3  
    Hosed. Tell me about it. The only positive thing I have seen from the merger is that I now get two reception bars in one corner of my house. Before it was one! But I guess I live in an unpopulated area as far as they're concerned (a flat area in Oakland,CA)

I'd migrate if they would give me an incentive to do so... But without signing a 2 year contract, they claim that there is no way I can retain my current plan. I know they will force me to eventually.
    I think as long as you don't change your plan or upgrade phone, I think you can stay with att plan as long as you want.

there is no reason for me to switch. fot the same price, I am getting less mins on cingular plus they charge 18 bucks for migratation fee! what the f***!
    But sooner or later you will want to upgrade, and sooner or later ATT will finish merging with Cingular. You'll be moved over there anyway. Don't know why they charge a migration fee though, since it's a merger.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Semi-hosed or very hosed depending on your perspective.

I'm a AT&T wireless GSM customer, and was informed that I can stay with my current AT&T plan, but if I want to change to a Cingular plan(for the rollover), I don't have to pay a cancellation fee, but do have to pay an $18.00 migration fee (Which IMHO is just another unnecessary greed based fee by Cingular.).

On top of that, I can't keep my old phone (they won't unlock it), and the prices they are charging for a Treo 650 is around $400.00 after a meager $50.00 rebate. There are several online vendors that offer the same Cingular plans and the same Treo 650 for $330.00.

But according to any dealer I spoke with, other than Cingular proper, said they could not port nor migrate my old AT&T wireless number to a new Cingular account. Only Cingular has the power to do this.

I'm pissed, and don't understand why if I want to keep my number, I have to pay Cingular's higher price for a new Treo 650.

Can anyone explain this?
    Quote Originally Posted by catfell
    Semi-hosed or very hosed depending on your perspective.

But according to any dealer I spoke with, other than Cingular proper, said they could not port nor migrate my old AT&T wireless number to a new Cingular account. Only Cingular has the power to do this.

I'm pissed, and don't understand why if I want to keep my number, I have to pay Cingular's higher price for a new Treo 650.

Can anyone explain this?
    We had 4 phones in a business account with AT&T and migrated them over to a Cingular business account keeping the same phone numbers... of course, after the first bill we had to go into the Cingular store to *fix* their billing screwups, but other than that, all went fine.
    3 out of the 4 phones we had just got a new SIM card and the 4th phone was replaced.
    .MrByte

-----
    mytreo.net the ultimate Treo resource
    Treo Knowledge base (FAQ's)
    i just bought a treo 650 recently and they extended my contract to 2007 so until them im pretty much stuck with att (which is a good thing for me)