1.    #1  
    If you ordered your Cingular MediaWorks Unlimited Data Plan for $19.99 on or before 2/11, I hope this story helps you. If not, move along, cause it kinda long and boring.

My wife and I bought our Treos on 2/6 and 2/8 respectively, and we got our bills today. She almost had a heart attack. She used 8.5MB of data, and for some reason she had both the pay-per-use AND the unlimited Mediaworks options, so she got hit with $125 in data charges alone (not counting the $19.99 monthly fee or the voice charges). I also noticed she had a 3MB limit on her media usage. The bill was like $225, and she was expecting $75. I got my bill, used 15MB, and got charged the correct amount for Media usage, $19.99, since I got the unlimited deal before they changed it.

Needless to say, she was a wee bit upset. Kinda made me glad it wasn't at me.

She was too upset to call, so I offered to do it for her, and besides I knew the story - they tried to put her down on the "new and improved" 3MB Mediaworks plan. Even though she ordered the phone on 2/8, they didn't activate the account until 2/11, and thus the problem. I guess I was lucky I ordered directly from them (Cingular.com), or otherwise they may have blamed the dealer for the delay.

First, I got the story that since the plan was activated on the 11th of February, the unlimited plan had expired by then. I told her I ordered the phone on the 8th, and that I had my order confirmation and email, and that wasn't what I bought. The CSR was most helpful, but I am suspicious they have a script they are following for this. She went back, credited the $125, removed the pay-per-use option, and left me the "new" Mediaworks plan with the 3MB limit. I, of course, said that was unacceptable.

She came back and asked where I ordered the plan, which I responded Cingular.com. She then said that I may have made a mistake when ordering at the website, to which I responded I have a copy of my order and it had no mistakes on it. Every time she would put me on hold for a couple of minutes. She then came back and told me that the support group for web orders was closed (it was 8:30pm EST), and that she was going to give me their number to call them tomorrow.

Whatever you do, don't let them do this!!!!

I complained like crazy (very politely, but firmly), stating I had been given a similar runaround a couple of weeks ago on a hardware issue, called 2-3 numbers, and when I called the last number they gave me the person that answered said I wasn't supposed to be calling them directly, yadda yadda yadda. This time she put me on hold for like 5-6 minutes, and came back and said they had "fixed" it. Now she has the unlimited Mediaworks plan.

I suspect she had to get a supervisor to put in some sort of special code in her system to allow her to provide the older plan. I am the optimistic type.

For those of you who ordered on or before February 11, look at that bill and make sure you get what you bought!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I purchased my Media works on 2/2 but ported a Sprint number on 2/11. Since then I found out that my MEdia Works reverted to the 3MB plan 4 tims; each time after I asked for the slightest change in account. It seems that if you have the $19.99 MEdia works you should NEVER EVER request any type of change to your account, even if it is unrelated to your data.

Restoring the unlimited plan is no fun. I spent hours upon hours demanding suprvisors and managers with the authority to do it. But as long as I'm with Cingular I'm always worried about my precious $19.99 MEdia Works. So, pretty soon they can keep it because I will be dumping them, and their stupid data plan. I'm much more comfortable with the Sprint unlimited vision pro plan. It's $15 for everyone, and no surprises of it reverting to some usage plan.
    Zboater,

I expect the same thing to happen to me. In fact, the CSR told me that it would likely happen! I had called in because I saw my account online was showing I was on a PDA data plan. I told them they should change it to the 19.99 unlimited plan. The poor young lady said she couldn't do it, but did put me on the $24.99 plan and told me to call Telesales, who she said could put in the original plan and would work with me since I was still within the 30 days for my purchase. So I dutifully called telesales, and the woman who answered was annoyed, saying that all the previous CSR had to do was go to a different database, and that all CSRs could do this, when she stopped and said, "oh, she did it?!" Turns out the first CSR gave me the correct plan after all without realizing. I verified it as I was talking to her by logging on to my account. CSR #2 did tell me, however, that it's easier for them to reverse the charges once we've been billed, than to try to delete them right then and there. But she annotated my account appropriately.

The bottom line is this: the plan still exists in the system, and all CSRs could add it to your plan -- but the policy is, of course, only for those who signed up before 2/11.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  4.    #4  
    I just checked the website and both our accounts are ok, but I also noticed Mediaworks is not even available to choose as an option for the Treo650 anymore. All they have is the $40 unlimited PDA plan, plus some lesser plans with MB limits. They are so uncometitive compared to Sprint, that I will definitely switch if they mess with my plan.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    But as long as I'm with Cingular I'm always worried about my precious $19.99 MEdia Works. So, pretty soon they can keep it because I will be dumping them, and their stupid data plan. I'm much more comfortable with the Sprint unlimited vision pro plan. It's $15 for everyone, and no surprises of it reverting to some usage plan.
    Succinct, as usual TonyH. I signed up for MEdia Works unlimited in April of '04 with a generic GSM 600 before the plan was disallowed for PDA's. Now I've switched to the 6620 (a "legal" phone) and I always have MobiTV to point to for bandwidth usage (a valid point). If they find a way to take it away, I pay my contract off and happily skate over to Sprint. I'm not worried.

Todd/Indy
    on that note how much is it to buy your way out of a 2 year contract?
    my wife and I got 2 650's with Cinguliar on 2/05

and were shoved into the PC connect for 3 months ($79.99x2!!)
    then the nicely charged us $71.99 for the prorated 10 days as well

and the bill yesterday was for $69.93 for 6.9Mb of data charges!!
    and $3.99x2 for Lockline

got those reversed, but for $80 a month EACH!, you get ZERO included SMS or MMS,
    but anyone with $19.99 media works gets 1000 SMS and unlimited MMS ( and only 3MB of course)

I've been with Cinguliar for over 8 years, on non smartphones
    but this pisses me off so much I really need to find out about Sprint and what it will cost to switch over

I'll buy a cheap phone If I need to go to europe
  7.    #7  
    Wow, that really bites. At the very least I would have them change it to the $40 a month PDA plan instead of the $80 dollar one. Im not sure what the cancellation penalty is - with AT&T is was $175 per phone, which you will pay for in three months by going to Sprint.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Thanks Zboater, I did have her switch it to the PDA Plan
    of course it's says $44.99 on Cingular.com for my Zip
    but she said it was $39.99 (Fine, switch us)
    Arrgh!, is anything with Cingular sensical?
    since I payed $400/ea for phones on 2/05,
    they said I need to keep the $80 data plan for at least 3 months
    I don't think they'll even notice if I cancel the data svc entirely
    as a matter of fact I don't know how the CSR's get anything done over there

I've got a mind to call them up again today, and complain about the absolutely retarded data plans
    that give you a ton of Text msg-ing and limited data (3MB) for $20,
    but if you pay double or quadruple, you get squat other than bandwith and then get charged per/KB anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M
    and $3.99x2 for Lockline
    Get rid of this! You're getting hosed! They don't cover the Treo.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Get rid of this! You're getting hosed! They don't cover the Treo.
    Does anyone know why that is? Sprint goes through Lockline, and the 650 is covered. Is this a Cingular policy, or Lockline? (And if Lockline, why cover one carrier, but not the other?)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I don't know. It must be a Cingular/Lockline contract issue.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Cingular policy, the CSR told me it's basically because they had or expect a ton of fraud, on any of the desirable phones

and Millerhifi, of course I cancelled it and got credited back
    that's why I put an extra at the end