1.    #1  
    I'm currently on the Cingular North Carolina, does anyone know when EDGE will become available in this service area?
    EDGE is out in my area, Sacramento, but it's no great prize. I get better speeds with Sprint CDMA 1XRTT.

Now I understand Cingular is working on UMTS, but it's a long-term project that can span a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    E

Now I understand Cingular is working on UMTS, but it's a long-term project that can span a decade.
    According to PC Mag, (March 22, 2005) UMTS is lagging behind Verizon's EV-DO with only 6 metro areas to Verizon's 21 (verizon says they have 32 cities but there's only 21 on their coverage map). UMTS doesn't really offer anything over Edge until the software upgrade happens.

UMTS though does voice and data simultaneously at average speeds of 700 kbps (theoretical max 14 Mbps) with the HSDPA software upgrade in 2006, just about the time Verizon will reach about 50% US population coverage with EV-DO. The average EV-DO speed was 677 kbps. Edge coverage right now is over 50% of the geographic US which I would guess is about 85-90% of the population coverage.

T-Mobile also going to UTMS/HSDPA in 2007.

I haven't looked but the mag article says there's more info at :

www.go.pcmag.com/newwireless
    I'm in Sac too TonyH and you're right, it's not that great here but seems to be better in some spots in the Bay Area
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    If you have to have GSM, at least Cingular's coverage and speed are better than T-Mobile here. I tried TMo, and it was horrible at 18~27 kbps in midtown Sacramento. I dropped in in a matter of days.
    I'm in Northern Virginia and can only get GPRS. Anyone know when cingular plans to rollout EDGE in this area?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVA
    I'm in Northern Virginia and can only get GPRS. Anyone know when cingular plans to rollout EDGE in this area?
    wow- i thought cingular had EDGE in our area- I'm just outside of DC, and was considering switching from T-Mo for that reason. So you have a 650 and no EDGE?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVA
    Yeah- looks like cingular's EDGE map is covered down through NoVA to somewhere before C-Ville. Where are you?
    Thanks guys, I thought I was getting a line of cr** from the cingular support guy. I plan to go into the store on my way home tonight and give 'em hell.

I think the issue is that my 650 is not setup to TRY and make the edge connection. There isn't a network profile called EDGE. I'll do some more research and update tomorrow.

BTW - I've tried in the Ashburn and Reston VA areas.