Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    If anyone here has been cheated by Cingular, AT&T or Tmobile due to their practice of locking handsets (so that they cannot be used on other cell phone carrier's networks) please let me know. Just post a reply, or email me at lawrence@consumerwatchdog.org

    My organization is attempting to force the companies to stop this practice, and I would like to know more about what these companies are doing.
  2. #2  
    t-mo has/had the most lenient unlock policy.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. #3  
    Up until the T650, all Cingular Treos were unlocked. The T650 is SIM Subsidy Locked, but if you paid full price for the device or have been a subscriber in good standing for 90 days, they will unlock it for you. I think that this is not an unreasonable policy since the subsidies are up to $200 for a 2 year committment. This of course does not address the CDMA vs. GSM issue in the USA which 'trumps' the lock issue.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonelockin
    If anyone here has been cheated by Cingular, AT&T or Tmobile due to their practice of locking handsets (so that they cannot be used on other cell phone carrier's networks) please let me know. Just post a reply, or email me at lawrence@consumerwatchdog.org

    My organization is attempting to force the companies to stop this practice, and I would like to know more about what these companies are doing.
    It's not just Cingular. Both T-Mobile and Cingular lock ALL their phones with subsidy locks. The only exception I have seen is the SX66 from Cingular, which is shipped unlocked.

    I don't like it, but never thought of it as "illegal" for them to do so. Is it?????
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    Up until the T650, all Cingular Treos were unlocked. The T650 is SIM Subsidy Locked, but if you paid full price for the device or have been a subscriber in good standing for 90 days, they will unlock it for you. I think that this is not an unreasonable policy since the subsidies are up to $200 for a 2 year committment. This of course does not address the CDMA vs. GSM issue in the USA which 'trumps' the lock issue.
    what is the purpose of "locking" the phone? so you cant use it with other services? So, what is the point of 1-2 years contracts? so, why do they penalize you for terminating early?

    i think it is reasonable for one or the other. either the phone is locked or you get penalized for terminating early. why do both?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  6.    #6  
    Our position is that it IS unlawful and unfair. We seek to force them to stop. Check out our case at www.consumerwatchdog.org
  7. #7  
    NEED HELP!! I just received my new Treo 650 ordered off ebay for $500. I powered it up and inserted my Cingular SIM outta my insurance replacement Moto V180 and when I try to do a network search the Treo tells me that my SIM will not work with this Treo?? Its a Cingular branded phone?? When I goto search for the network I even get the Cingular logo with the little hello caption. Whats the deal here?? Is my SIM too old for the Treo or something? The SIM reads 32K GT. Thanks for any help!! Oh the SIM works fine in the V180 and my account is also current if that helps.
  8. #8  
    I was with ATT, Treo600 & wanted to switch to Cingular after the merger.

    They basically told me to buy a new phone they would not unlock mine. They said the phone was not compatible with Cingular's network due to cingular requiring 64k sim card.

    So with many hours of phone calls, some inside help from high up in cingular & free unlock software off of the net I managed to get it unlocked & switched over.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonelockin
    Our position is that it IS unlawful and unfair. We seek to force them to stop. Check out our case at www.consumerwatchdog.org
    I heard the reason most branded cell phones are now locked is because if your phone was stolen, the thief could go get it turned on somewhere else too easily. Not sure if it's true, but it's what I heard.

    Although it does for sure benefit the carrier, they make sure you must by THEIR phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    Arizona...where did u find free unlock software on the net? As you can see in my post I am currently dealing with an issue where my Cingular SIM is not registering on my so called Cingular Treo 650.
  11. #11  
    i recently called t-mobile customer service and asked them to unlock my T600. they sent me the unlock code via email. i have been a t-mo customer for about 10 months now. i hate that phones come locked, but at least t-mo will unlock it without much hassle.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    Arizona...where did u find free unlock software on the net? As you can see in my post I am currently dealing with an issue where my Cingular SIM is not registering on my so called Cingular Treo 650.
    http://mytreo.net . Check out the FAQ & the forum.
  13. #13  
    I looked all over the sight and found nothing for the 650 as far as an unlocking program, i only found stuff for the 600....can you perhaps link us to it?
  14. #14  
    Sorry, I was refering to the 600. I don't know if someone has the 650 unlock patch yet.
  15. #15  
    T-Mobile has what I feel is a very fair unlock policy... after you have been on the plan for 3 months they will send you the unlock code via email if you call customer service. Be sure to have the IMEI number of the phone you want to unlock. I was in Austria last month and purchased a local SIM, called T-Mo that night and explained the situation, and had the unlock code with instructions via email the next day. Worked like a charm!
    When in danger or in doubt ---
    Run in circles, scream and shout!
  16. #16  
    I don't have a problem with the locking. I got $275 subsidy from Cingular off the advertised price of the phone "unlocked". If a company wants to lock that phone until:

    1. I finish my 1 year committement, or
    2. They actually receive my $275 or whatever early termination fee,

    I don't think that is unreasonable. From everything I have read, I haven't heard of consumers meeting these conditions being turned down.
  17. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #17  
    T-Mobile has a relaxed policy on unlocking. I recently called them to get the unlock code for a h6315. Within one day I got the unlock codes and easy to follow instructions. It worked no problem.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't have a problem with the locking. I got $275 subsidy from Cingular off the advertised price of the phone "unlocked". If a company wants to lock that phone until:

    1. I finish my 1 year committement, or
    2. They actually receive my $275 or whatever early termination fee,

    I don't think that is unreasonable. From everything I have read, I haven't heard of consumers meeting these conditions being turned down.
    I DO have a problem with SIM locking!

    One of the big selling points of GSM was always "That's what they use in Europe." I travel to Europe frequently.

    My old cell phone was not SIM locked. If I wanted to use it in Europe, I just popped out the SIM card and put in a prepaid one from Vodafone or another local provider.

    This in no way cheated Cingular, as they still got my $125 monthly service payment during this period, despite the fact that I was using (and also paying for) another network while in Europe.

    I had a contract. I honored my contract. I paid in full and on time for the length of my contract.

    Having a GSM phone simply allowed me to have a local European number (so friends calling me from down the street didn't have to call an international long distance number). And any calls I made were local calls at 9 cents a minute. Not $1.50 a minute international roaming calls.

    I just got a new Treo 650. I put my Vodafone card in to see if it would work and my worst fears were realized.

    It's unreasonable (and quite frankly, embarrassing) to have to tell a friend or business associate that they'll have to call an international long distance number in the United States to reach me at the cafe 2 blocks away in Munich.

    I'm all for SIM unlocking. I'm going to Paris in 5 weeks and this will be the first time I'm not able to use my Vodofone SIM card. My backup plan, if I can't get my Treo 650 unlocked, is to use my old cell phone. This doesn't seem fair, as I just shelled out $399 for this new phone. I feel that I should be able to use it to its full potential. (Plus, being a Palm, it has all kinds of valuable contact info that my old handy doesn't have.)

    I understand Cingular wanting me to honor my 2 year contract. But I also think, if I honor that contract, and am willing to pay for the service whether I use that service or not, I should have the option of NOT using it.

    Sorry for the long post. As a world traveler I just felt I needed to put in my 2 cents (or 29 cents with international roaming charges).
  19. #19  
    When you get a Vodaphone card, is it prepaid? My experience is there is no way of getting data with them. Am I wrong?
  20. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    NEED HELP!! I just received my new Treo 650 ordered off ebay for $500. I powered it up and inserted my Cingular SIM outta my insurance replacement Moto V180 and when I try to do a network search the Treo tells me that my SIM will not work with this Treo?? Its a Cingular branded phone?? When I goto search for the network I even get the Cingular logo with the little hello caption. Whats the deal here?? Is my SIM too old for the Treo or something? The SIM reads 32K GT. Thanks for any help!! Oh the SIM works fine in the V180 and my account is also current if that helps.
    I believe you have to get the 64K SIM for the 650 to work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions