Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    When you get a Vodaphone card, is it prepaid? My experience is there is no way of getting data with them. Am I wrong?
    Good question. I've never used it with a smart phone before. Hopefully I'll be able to get my Treo working so I can try it.

(It is a prepaid card. You charge it up as needed with minutes you can buy at any gas station or news stand.) I'd love to find out if it works with data. I'll post back when I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmaddox
    I DO have a problem with SIM locking!

I just got a new Treo 650. I put my Vodafone card in to see if it would work and my worst fears were realized.

It's unreasonable (and quite frankly, embarrassing) to have to tell a friend or business associate that they'll have to call an international long distance number in the United States to reach me at the cafe 2 blocks away in Munich.
    \
    Why didn't you buy the unlocked Treo 650 from palm directly?

I've found that the best deal is to:
    1) buy a phone from X with the largest cash back for a contract (You can often get >$200 in rebates. This makes the phone MORE than free with a contract.)

2) Use the $200 towards an unlocked Treo. (With another discount, this can easily get a Treo to about $399 or less.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius314
    Why didn't you buy the unlocked Treo 650 from palm directly?

I've found that the best deal is to:
    1) buy a phone from X with the largest cash back for a contract (You can often get >$200 in rebates. This makes the phone MORE than free with a contract.)

2) Use the $200 towards an unlocked Treo. (With another discount, this can easily get a Treo to about $399 or less.)
    Pretty clever! I'll have to remember that.
    If you're a little industrious you can unlock you phone from Cingular - like I just did...

Check out this link: Cingular Unlock Code

Update - only removes the sim lock - NOT the subsidy lock that allows you to actually USE another company's sim. Sorry.
    Last edited by Ben Van Gaasbeek; 04/24/2005 at 09:18 AM.
    While I understand why Cingular wants to lock the phones, I do like my phone unlocked because of Intl travels. I requested my SIM subsidy unlock code from Cingular, and was contacted by a Tech rep. followed shortly by an email that contained the code, all these within a day from when I requested the code. This may be because I have been a Cingular customer for over 4 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmaddox
    Pretty clever! I'll have to remember that.
    Don't forget
    3) Ebay the other phone to further reduce your net cost
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    NEED HELP!! I just received my new Treo 650 ordered off ebay for $500. I powered it up and inserted my Cingular SIM outta my insurance replacement Moto V180 and when I try to do a network search the Treo tells me that my SIM will not work with this Treo?? Its a Cingular branded phone?? When I goto search for the network I even get the Cingular logo with the little hello caption. Whats the deal here?? Is my SIM too old for the Treo or something? The SIM reads 32K GT. Thanks for any help!! Oh the SIM works fine in the V180 and my account is also current if that helps.
    Hi, try turning on the radio, and then checking the firmware. If it says CNB, it means the phone is released for the cingular blue network, which is the AT&T network. This phone will require at AT&T sim card unless it is unlocked. Try calling cingular, hopefully they can unlock your phone.
    Tried to unlock A T & T branded T600 through Cingular and they said they were unable to do so. They then said that even if unlockable the phones internet capabilities would not work. Tried to sell me a new T650 w/2 year contract and upgrades totaling over $300. I guess if we all threatened to drop service maybe they might think twice about keeping their customers happy.
    I have tried an unlock patch which failed.

I hate Cingular
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12