Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last week I switched to T-Mobile from ATTWireless because I thought I could get T-Zones to work with my Treo 650. It *does* work.

Advantages of T-Mobile:
    Lower overall radiation emissions
    Probably better customer service

Advantages of Cingular:
    No time commitment (I've been with them for 2 years)
    Pay as you go internet use (or data plan) + EDGE
    Last edited by odysseus; 04/05/2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Take the EDGE speed. I'm not a Cingular fan, but I'd go with the devil if he provides faster speed. This could mean I gotta switch to Verizon. Can you hear me now?
    Remember though, CDMA does not have data roaming across networks like GSM does, which is important for me, as I am on and off Cingular's native network(usually on Edge Wireless, a Cingular Affiliate) all the time in my travels across California,
    I have a 65O unlocked and I have T-mobile T-zones ($5 month) I have GSRPS and I haven't been having any problems (NYC) I use the proxy server workouround for blazer and mail syncs with versamail effortlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    So should I switch back to ATTWireless/Cingular?

Advantages of T-Mobile:
    Lower overall radiation emissions
    Probably better customer service

Advantages of Cingular:
    No time commitment (I've been with them for 2 years)
    Pay as you go internet use (or data plan) + EDGE
    T-Mobile customer service is very good. But coverage is a lot better (especiallyu in outlying areas) with Cingular/ATT. I have had the T-Mo $20 data plan for over a year, and IMO it's worth every penny. Used my Treo 600 in Europe, too.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I'm not familiar with Cingular's offerings, but T-Mobile has worked wonders with making international access pretty much seamless, albeit at a price. At per minute rates ranging from $0.99 to $4.99 for both incoming and outgoing it isn't cheap, but can be invaluable. Data at $0.15/kb for email is a lifesaver for me. It's worked great in France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Russia. This alone makes T-Mobile my logical choice.
    When in danger or in doubt ---
    Run in circles, scream and shout!
  7.    #7  
    I agree with you, but don't you mean $0.015/kb for email (in other words, 1.5 cents per kb)?
    Last edited by odysseus; 04/05/2005 at 08:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked Treo 650 on Cingular, and four calls were dropped this weekend in my home area. I'm thinking of switching to T-Mobile. Any problem with call drops on T-Mo in Manhattan, anyone?
    There are a few spotty areas but overall very good reception. You can check locations in detail by checking T-Mo's coverage maps: http://compass.t-mobile.com/compass2/
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    i recently switch from t-mo to cingular - mostly to get the cheaper 650 and edge. I never loved t-mo's service in nyc but didn't hate it as many people I know did. I figured service would be about the same, but I must say that cingular's coverage in nyc is clearly better than t-mo's. I get good service in places where I didn't get any with t-mobile. I'm pretty pleased about the switch and edge is surprisingly fast!
    Hmmm....this thread is what I've been looking for but I'm even more confused and undecided than before. I'm about to bite the bullet and get an unlocked 650 (but should I if T Mobile or Cingular will unlock it after 3 mos. with them?) but I can't decide between the two. I live in NYC so would like good coverage but spend a lot of time in Europe where I would most like good data and reasonable phone charges. What to do? I don't know much about using proxies, never used them so far, should I avoid it with TMO? Any information any of you can give me will be hugely appreciated considering the investment I'm about to make.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    From what I've read in this forum, T-Mobile has excellent coverage in Europe. After all, what do you expect when it's owned by Deutsche Telekom?
    For those who are thinking of switching to T-Mobile for their STELLAR data & voice prices yet are skeptical about coverage in your area, Tmobile has a solution...

http://compass.t-mobile.com/

Type in your address and you will see a detailed street-level map of T-mobile's coverage for your area. Problem solved.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Hmmm....this thread is what I've been looking for but I'm even more confused and undecided than before. I'm about to bite the bullet and get an unlocked 650 (but should I if T Mobile or Cingular will unlock it after 3 mos. with them?) but I can't decide between the two. I live in NYC so would like good coverage but spend a lot of time in Europe where I would most like good data and reasonable phone charges. What to do? I don't know much about using proxies, never used them so far, should I avoid it with TMO? Any information any of you can give me will be hugely appreciated considering the investment I'm about to make.
    Hopefully this isn't too late, but an unlocked phone might be the best choice for you. If you go with Cingular or T-Mobile and want the cheaper phone, then they'll lock you into a two year contract. Even though they will unlock the phone for you after a few months you'll still be stuck in a two year contract which may or may not be a bad thing. If you go with an unlocked phone you can always give both Cingular and T-Mobile a try on a month to month basis... if you don't like one, then switch next month. Unfortunatly, I don't believe either are terribly cheap for international access. I use cingular and the prices range from $0.79-$4.99 per minute for incoming and outgoing international roaming depending on the country you're in and the plan you're on. I believe T-Mobile prices are about the same. I don't believe that either carrier offers an unlimited international data plan.

If you have an unlocked phone (either by buying an unlocked phone or by having Cingular or T-Mobile unlock one of their phones for you) then you can always get a SIM chip from a European carrier and you'll pay much less in Europe. The only disadvantage is that you won't have your US number available when you have the European SIM in your phone... which, depending on whether you'll have more US or European people calling you may be a good or a bad thing.

HTH,
    Brett
    I'm starting to think the same way. TMO doesn't seem to have great coverage on the Connecticut shore, one of my areas, but it's not clear that Cingular's is any better (I'm starting to appreciate Sprint!). But one question I have that nobody's answered is: is it possible to get a SIM card in Europe that allows data access in any way? I've never found it but perhaps I didn't do the right things. Do you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    For those who are thinking of switching to T-Mobile for their STELLAR data & voice prices yet are skeptical about coverage in your area, Tmobile has a solution...

http://compass.t-mobile.com/

Type in your address and you will see a detailed street-level map of T-mobile's coverage for your area. Problem solved.

Well, not quite. It depends upon whether you can believe Cingular's map, because in the end you have to compare it to something else. TMO has lots of shading from strong to fair to nothing, and a lot of my areas are in the fair area. Cingular just has a solid color indicating coverage, but I have no idea whether that's really representative of performance. They dont have varying shades to get an idea of where marginal coverage starts--and I'm not sure whether TMO's fair is marginal, or something better (or worse) than that.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Most of the time if you're in the fair coverage area, you are going to have good coverage. I have T-mobile myself and cross checked my coverage based on what the compass.t-mobile website says and I have found it to be accurate. The only time that I have lost coverage is when the map is shaded the last two colors to the right. For example if the map were to be shaded one more than nothing I usually have one bar on my phone and able to make calls near a window or outside. The next shade up allows me to make consistent calls within someone's house. The next shading up allows me to have consistent coverage in most buildings. The only time that I have had problems with coverage in the fair and on up is in larger metal building in hospitals, and even that is dependent on several factors.

You are right though about comparing this T-mobile map to something, because to my knowledge, Cingular doesn't have something like this. Good luck!
    m105 -> m130 -> Tungsten E -> Treo 600 (T-Mobile)
    Thanks. Now that's useful information, and sort of what I was hoping for. I have one contact who might be actually reporting back from the area I'm most interested in, so we'll see. I find this really unnerving--but I never liked deregulation in the first place. Give me good old ATT all over the country, update it by forty years, with good regulation, and we'd have reliably good wireless all over the country. And maybe one standard that's good all over. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Does Cingular have a similar compass?
    Wow, that compass thingy is pretty cool . I love Tmobile. I get unlimited txt, 100 min, no roming, unlimited data and hotspots for $80.
    Maybe att has better coverage. but my same type of plan is like $150, No thanks. I'll jut wait and hang in there with tmobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast