Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do you automatically get the hot spots as part of your wireless package or what? I don't see it in the wireless offers.
    Does Sprint have a similar compass map like T-Mobile? Or do they share towers and the T-Mobile compass maps should apply to all major cell companies.
    Although companies do share some towers it is hardly the rule nor universal and so the short answer is no, you can't judge one company's coverage by another's
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Sprint and T-Mobile do not share towers in my area. At both home and work I am in the highest coverage area according the T-Mo compass and my reception is stellar. I just picked up a Sprint Treo mainly for the price of the phone and at home I can make calls but clearly have a lesser signal than T-Mo and at work I can't even get one bar to register on the Treo. The Treo is going back to Sprint.

Bill
    A months back Consumer Reported rated all providers in the top 30 or 40 markets and T-Mobile came in second only to Verizon who was number 1, and that survey wasnt just a cust svc survey.
    "consumer reports", that is
    Quote Originally Posted by frankpaolino
    A months back Consumer Reported rated all providers in the top 30 or 40 markets and T-Mobile came in second only to Verizon who was number 1, and that survey wasnt just a cust svc survey.
    JD Power & Associates ranked T-mobile #1 in overall customer satisfaction, customer care, retail sales, and call quality for the same time period.

LINK
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Well, not quite. It depends upon whether you can believe Cingular's map, because in the end you have to compare it to something else. TMO has lots of shading from strong to fair to nothing, and a lot of my areas are in the fair area. Cingular just has a solid color indicating coverage, but I have no idea whether that's really representative of performance. They dont have varying shades to get an idea of where marginal coverage starts--and I'm not sure whether TMO's fair is marginal, or something better (or worse) than that.

I signed up with Cingular several months ago - partly to get the Treo and also because of their impressive coverage map. When I had trouble getting "bars" at home I went back to the store. The rep there pulled up a coverage map on his computer that was shaded depending on quality of signal - turns out I'm in a pocket where the signal is not that strong. So, perhaps if you pressure another salesperson they'll call up the same map - I'm assuming it's only available to employees. Unfortunately, the published map seems to be a bit misleading. I haven't had coverage issues anywhere else, however.
    I just went to a cingular store to see what I could get that was comparable for my tmobile plan.
    I have
    1500 min (anytime anywhere)
    unlimited txt
    free nights and weekends
    unlimited internet
    hotspots
    20 pic msgs
    insurance
    roadside assistance
    $85

Cingular couldn't match it. They couldn't even come close.
    I thought that the hisgh speed data would be enough to persuade me since I am just using my 650 for browsing right now. But, it isn't.

I think I will hold out for edge with tmo. I can't bring myself to increase my treo addiction
  10.    #30  
    I'm in NYC for the month, and it appears that my T-Mobile download speeds have increased dramatically. I guess I must have EDGE
    Last edited by odysseus; 06/13/2005 at 10:24 AM.
    What carrier are you with?
  12.    #32  
    T-Mobile!
  13. Lew
    To be fair, would you show how a new users to TMO could obtain the same plan? I can't see how you have what you have without grandfathered plan or features, or perhaps some sort of employee plan/discount. Using zipcode 30004, 1500/unlN&W is $80 to start with, plus $40 for unl GPRS&HotSpots, and no provision for unlimited SMS.

Don't get me wrong, I like TMO. But present a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I just went to a cingular store to see what I could get that was comparable for my tmobile plan. [...]

I just went to a cingular store to see what I could get that was comparable for my tmobile plan.
    I have
    1500 min (anytime anywhere)
    unlimited txt
    free nights and weekends
    unlimited internet
    hotspots
    20 pic msgs
    insurance
    roadside assistance
    $85

I thought that the hisgh speed data would be enough to persuade me since I am just using my 650 for browsing right now. But, it isn't.

I think I will hold out for edge with tmo. I can't bring myself to increase my treo addiction
    smileyboy:
    how did you get that cheap? I tried to get similar plan like yours from tmobile, but the total due monthly is way more than yours ($102.95). That's not include hotspot and unlimited text.
    Here is the plan
    - 1000 Text Messages - $6.99 per month
    - Roadside Assistance - $2.99 per month
    - Picture & Video Messaging - $2.99 per month
    - Unlimited t-zones Pro - $9.99 per month
    - Get More Ultra 1500 plan - $79.99 per month
    I know this is probably a noob question, but what are HotSpots?

I know that in WiFi terminology, it's spots with wireless networks setup, but the Treo 650 doesn't have 802.11b installed.
    I get unlimited txt, 100 min, no roming, unlimited data and hotspots for $80.
    I hope that's a typo -- 100 minutes?
    I have the ipaq plan. just sign up for it online
    I had both T-mobile and Cingular at the same time with Treos. T-mobiles biggest problem is not coverage, it is wall penetration. The frequency that they operate at have much worse wall penetration than Cing/Att. Also I hate those dang delays in voicemail notificaiton and SMS delays, sometimes days with T-Mobile.

Went to all Cingular.
    My service is great. Cingular HS internet and all the other stuff you just mentioned is NOT worth a extra $50-70 a month hike .
  20. Lew
    I have the ipaq plan. just sign up for it online
    How? On the consumer side of their website, no ipaq's and no ipaq plans. On the business side, they show ipaq and treo600, but no ipaq plan.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12