Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm considering upgrading from a 600 to a 650, and switching from t-mo to cingular. however, all the sites (treocentral, amazon, cingular) require you to get a 2yr contract when ordering the 650. is there a way to get a 1yr contract from cingular? can i do this in a b&m cingular store? i'd rather not buy from a store, because there are better rebates online.

are all you cingular users stuck in 2yr contracts? 2 years is just too damn long. things change, new phones come out, new data networks are deployed, etc. i have committment issues when it comes to cell phones...
    No harm in trying--I know that in my dealings with Cingular I have been offered 1 and 2 year deals, with differing benefits. You also need to balance any discount and benefits with any early termination fee at 1 year (might be cheaper to pay the fee than whatever discount/freebies you get on a 1 year). YMMV.
    You can get a 1 yr contract with Cingular, but you won't get as big a break on the price of the phone. If the phone is $400 on a 2-yr contract, for example, your price will be $450, or $500.
    Heck yeah! When I came to cingular early last year with my own phone (T600) the in-store rep put me in a one-year contract (told me it was required). Just a week or two ago, I found out from another (more honest) cingular rep that the first guy did it to get his "$4 or whatever commissioin". Nice, huh? You could try that.
    Yeah, you can get a 1-year contract, or even no contract at all. But TonyH is right about the discount being lower. I bought mine with no contract.
    I got mine for $325 walking into a b&m store w/ 1 year contract. At the time, it was $25 cheaper than any website I had seen and that website required the purchase of a PDA data plan ($40 / month) in order to get the $50 rebate which took it from $399 to $349 and a 2 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by reguy
    Yeah, you can get a 1-year contract, or even no contract at all. But TonyH is right about the discount being lower. I bought mine with no contract.
    I just called a local Cingular store and was told that a minimum one year contract was required. I've never had Cingular service before.
    Were they lying to me?
    Thanks.
    Either that or the rep was just a dumb one. If you pay full price you don't have to sign a term contract, with Cingular, or any other carrier.
    Looks like the deal is you have to call "customer service" @ cincgular. The folks at (at least some of) the stores "can't do non-committment agreements". Probably means no commission so they don't want to mess with such activations.
    Got 2 treo 650's from www.letstalk.com for $400 each with a 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by climber_rich
    Got 2 treo 650's from www.letstalk.com for $400 each with a 1 year contract.
    Has anyone noticed that they offer an option for Insurance??? I did a mock order, & it said that an insurance plan is offered!!! Just an FYI!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Either that or the rep was just a dumb one. If you pay full price you don't have to sign a term contract, with Cingular, or any other carrier.
    Right, but you can't get service without a contract. I have a new unlocked 650 GSM and neither Cingular nor Tmobile will give me service without a 1 year contract and activation fee.
    According to Cingular's customer service department, you can get a "no-committment" activation (no contract). However, you have to do that at a Cingular store. Of course, I was told the opposite (that customer service had to do it) from a Cingular store. More digging required on this.
    Before the Treo 650 was available I wanted Cingular service. I bought a used phone from the salesman (someone returned it two days after they thought they lost their phone). I am currently month-to-month.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_strosberg
    Has anyone noticed that they offer an option for Insurance??? I did a mock order, & it said that an insurance plan is offered!!! Just an FYI!!!
    Good luck. Cingular's policy clearly says that no PDA phones are covered by lockline, but they don't stop you from signing up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Good luck. Cingular's policy clearly says that no PDA phones are covered by lockline, but they don't stop you from signing up for it.
    I know. It's just that on the site, it was saying that the plan being offered covered devices upto $600. Wouldn't they be on the hook if thats what they're insinuating???
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I actually was told by Lockline to ask Cingular to cancel my insurance because I signed up using my SX66 PPC phone. They said if something were to happen they would not be responsible (based on Cingular's request) for replacing the SX66, and that they would send me a "comparable phone" meaning whatever they had. I returned my SX66 to Cingular, partially because I didn't want a $700 uninsured phone. I went back to Sprint and got a PPC6600, with Lockline at $5/month. The only thing I have with Cingular now is a V551 phone; great for both voice and BT DUN.
  18.    #18  
    thanks climber_rich. i ordered a 650 from letstalk.com with a 1 year contract. paid 400 for it, and got it today. yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    According to Cingular's customer service department, you can get a "no-committment" activation (no contract). However, you have to do that at a Cingular store. Of course, I was told the opposite (that customer service had to do it) from a Cingular store. More digging required on this.
    Is that another way of them saying pre-paid? Or is it completely different? If it is something different, I may look into it myself. The only "no commitment" activation I know of is pre-paid, though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I got a no committment activation on Saturday at a (company-owned) Cingular store. I paid full price for a Moto Razr and was therefore not forced to commit to any timeperiod. You have 30 days to return the phone. That's what I'm going to do as I'm going to use a 650 I bought on Ebay. I just wanted to see if I had service at my home first.

No, this is not their prepaid "Go Phone" service. I'm paying $30/month. I can just leave anytime I want.

Note: that was the fourth store I'd contacted. The geniuses at the other stores insisted you had to have at least a one year contract. So, you really have to deal with a representative who's got some experience.

Thanks Tony H. of Sacto...you are right.

One other important thing: I also signed up for MediaNet Unlimited when I activated the Razr at the store. Now I can switch phones via Cingular's automated service to the 650 witihout an agent being involved. There are lots of threads here about how Cinglular doesn't like Treo users to use the Medianet plan.
    Last edited by Stickman; 03/29/2005 at 02:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast