Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I am planning on purchasing a Treo 650 in the next couple of weeks with Cingular. I have a question on which data plan I need to use. Basically, what is the difference between the $24.99 MediaNet plan and the $39.99 unlimited PDA plan? I want to be able to browse the internet and be able to sync up my e-mail, calendar and all the usual stuff. Which plan should I be looking at? I talked to a customer service rep and they were of no use. Thanks.
    There are plenty of threads here that answer your questions. There are no differencs between the two plans. But Cingular wants to charge you $39.99 for using a PDA on their system. Speeds and full access are identical on both plans.
    I get the difference.
    Now, this being GSM and all...
    Say you sign up and buy their free phone, and get Media Net for $24.99.
    You get home, toss the SIM into the 650 and chuck the phone.
    Any issues there?
    Don't bother. Go into a carry all brands brick and mortar and buy the phone....Use it for a few days and then log in via the web to "MY Account" on the web. Go to "My Features, select the Available Features tab and add whatever plan ya want.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I went into a Cingular store today and discussed Treo 650 plans with the sales rep. She claimed that they can't put MediaNet on Treos because they're "primarily data devices" whereas MediaNet is "primarily for phones." Uh, okay... She went on further to say that people who were getting Treo 650s with MediaNet plans were in general given those plans by sales reps who weren't supposed to do it, but really wanted the sale, and Cingular was beginning to block Treo users with MediaNet from getting data until they get squared away with the $39.99 rip^H^H^Hplan.

Anyone think she was blowing smoke? You think Cingular are looking at IMEI numbers to find people who are getting the cheaper plan on a Treo? Like, say I added MediaNet to my current phone (SE T616) went out and got a Treo, and dropped my SIM in. Think they're really going to go after people? Do they actually want business? Going from $25 unlimited to $39.99 for 20mb is pretty ridiculous.
    yes, she is blowing smoke. Just sign up for the data plan later, online.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    At some point, though, why bother? Sprint's data is $15/unlimited, and that won't be yanked out from under me by Cingular when they decide they want to push people towards the $39.99 and up "data plans" instead of MediaNet. How can Cingular expect to be competitive data-wise? Especially when I have to re-up with Cingular, I'd hate to be going along with MediaNet and then have them say "oh yeah, that's only for phones, you've got to pay more." Garbage. I'm taking a hard look at switching to Sprint now.
    If you simply switch the sim, then will you miss out on the ability to get software updates from Cingular?
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu
    At some point, though, why bother? Sprint's data is $15/unlimited, and that won't be yanked out from under me by Cingular when they decide they want to push people towards the $39.99 and up "data plans" instead of MediaNet. How can Cingular expect to be competitive data-wise? Especially when I have to re-up with Cingular, I'd hate to be going along with MediaNet and then have them say "oh yeah, that's only for phones, you've got to pay more." Garbage. I'm taking a hard look at switching to Sprint now.
    Well, I'm with you on that point. I'm afraid to do anything major to my account simply because I don't want my $19.99 MEdia Works to revert to the 3MB limit. I tried to switch it between two numbers, and it reverted. So, I told them to restore it, and forget any changes to my account. I'm only holding on to that plan in case a good PPC phone is introduced by Cingular.
    Several days ago my 650 stopped receiving e-mail (pop3). When I called, I was told that I would not be allowed to keep the media basic plan that I had because of the 650 capabilities.

I had a Treo 600 before and it was bought from Handspring (PalmOne) as a unlocked phone. I simply put my sim from my Errickson 300 into it and off I went. Since I bought this phone from Cingular, I guess they caught up with me.

I an still send multi media messages but no pop3.

Its there bat & ball, they got ya - if you want e-mail I guess I will have to pay up unless one of you guys in the biz know of a better way?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well, since Cingular isn't interested in keeping their data customers, I just ordered a 650 with Sprint service through Amazon. It'll be $319 after rebates, and at most $15 for unlimited data. Maybe the speeds won't be the "EDGE" speeds Cingular loves to talk about, but at least I won't get reamed for using the same data service as "lesser" phones.
    In its current state, EDGE and 1XRTT speeds are comparable. Cingular has a lot to do before EDGe peaks. Now they're talking about UMTS, but that maybe 10 years down the road for full implementation.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    T Mobile $19.99 unlimited internet
    I use it with the treo, I use PDAnet to drive the laptop, and I can get secure corporate email through myemail with secure mail connect without waiting for blackberry to get their act together
    I travel extensively and have never had connection problems
    I prefer GSM to CDMA for travel purposes
    get the MediaNet unlimited for $24.99! that's all you need. don't fall for the PDA plan, which is made mainly for corporate accounts. i have a treo 650 and i'm currently on the MediaNet Unlimited, everything works great.... just waiting for EDGE!
    Last edited by shlin220; 03/17/2005 at 11:45 PM. Reason: wrong price
    If you switch to the MEdia Net Unlimited plan, please be aware that it does not include text messaging, so if you want SMS capability, you'll have to add a text messaging plan. So, to get the same functionality as the old $20 plan, now you'll have to spend more than $30. Kind of ridiculous when Sprint's unlimited data plan including SMSs is usually $15.
    I originally got stuck with 2 PC data connect plans last month
    got a mega bill, called had it corrected,
    switched it to the $39.99 PDA plan
    then noticed that there were no SMS or MMS, included
    but for $19,99 you get 1000 SMS, UNLIMITED MSS
    AND 3MB

so I don't want to get dinged for all the SMS msgs that me and my wife
    payed $0.10 EACH for this month

so I say FINE, how about I PAY for MediaWorks @19.99 PLUS
    the PDA unlimited Plan for TWO, 650's on Cingular

I'm willing to pay them 2 x $60 for each line and they won't do it

answer: uhh, it won't let us do that, but you can get the 1000 SMS for $10 each and no unlimited MMS

Cingular has to be without a doubt the most poorly organized carrier in the US
    Hello?, If you have a bundle for $20, maybe you should have one for heavier users!
    I am told that the major difference between Medianet and PDA connect would be the VPN support. There are couple of other threads which discusses this in detail.
    For 3.99 you can add a "data access" charge in order to make sure you have the IPSec connection. Sometimes, this is needed for VPN support, though not always. Depends on the VPN type, I think.
    thanks Koshananni. I did n't know about the 3.99 data access option.
    FYI:

I called to support today to complain about the access and speed problems
    in the SF Bay Area, the lady on the phone told me that this is likely caused
    by the fact that I'm not using the PDA plan with my treo ... basically they
    might be doing something fishy here with the treo owners on the old data \
    plans.

Called a bit later, got another CSR who told me that they had problems on the
    data links.

Anyway, it is likely that they will try to switch as much as possible treo
    owners to the new plans.

JC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast