Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any idea where I can find the movian vpn?

thanks!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    PM Sent!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Hi Jeeter,

I'd appreciate it if you could send me the PM too. Was using Mergic, but moved to Cingular, so I need Movian (Mergic doesn't work over Cingular's Mediaworks DHCP).

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by paolotto
    Was using Mergic, but moved to Cingular, so I need Movian (Mergic doesn't work over Cingular's Mediaworks DHCP).
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Don't mean to nitpic, just wanted to make this correction for future readers. Mergic's issue is the NAT (network address translation) that Cingular Media Net and Media Works has not the DHCP (automatic IP address configuration.)

Mergic uses PPTP VPN. PPTP does not work over NAT.
    Movian uses IPSec VPN which does work over NAT.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Taylorh,

You're prefectly right, I stand corrected. I'll blame first-post stagefright.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Don't mean to nitpic, just wanted to make this correction for future readers. Mergic's issue is the NAT (network address translation) that Cingular Media Net and Media Works has not the DHCP (automatic IP address configuration.)

Mergic uses PPTP VPN. PPTP does not work over NAT.
    Movian uses IPSec VPN which does work over NAT.
  6.    #6  
    Hey, I've been told today that the NAT prevents me from using movian vpn on Cingular. We tried several times using movian. We changed the wap protocol to isp, etc. Checked and rechecked the addresses, passwords, etc. When we tried to connect, the message back was that the negotiation failed due to ........ or other reasons. We tried everything, but probably don't know "all" the other reasons. Any ideas?
    stupid question.

are all vpns created equal? how do you know whick one will for for you.

for example if I use cisco vpn on the desktop, which palm vpn should i use? do i have to find out something more specific?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe,

VPNs are not all created equal. Both Mergic and Movian can work with Cisco VPN hardware, though Movian is the only one that'll work with Cinguilar's regular data plans. But you're almost certainly not going to get it to work unless you can talk to your sys admin and have him let you connect from your Palm. There are a bunch of settings (encryption, tunneling protocol, etc.) that the admin needs to allow through that are not the default settings used by the Cisco VPN client, so are probably not currently being let through. Good luck,

Paolo
  9.    #9  
    Paolotto,
    Did you get the Movian vpn to work on Cingular? We also have Cisco hardward, but could not get beyond the error message I noted above. Techs at Cingular didn't give us much hope, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Movian works for me over Cingular (Mediaworks) with IPSec. I had to change lots of settings on my Cisco VPN concentrator 3000, though. You definitely need to be the sys admin or have If you are using a cisco vpn box, I can give you the settings I used to make it work (they should also work on other IPsec firewalls) . Let me know,

Paolo
    Just saw your new posting - here's what I used:

On the client:
    Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000
    Use perfect FW sec.: UNCHECKED
    Use extend. auth: CHECKED
    A groupname (we'll call it PDAGROUP), group password and user (PDAUSER)
    IKE:
    Group: GRP1_DH-768
    Cipher: 3DES_CBC
    Hash: MD5
    DNS: Query DNS
    IPSEC: ESPIP_3DES_MD5-96

On the server:
    (and I was sort of hacking around here - there may have been some settings in the group overridden by my user settings, or vice versa):
    GROUP:
    Created PDAGROUP group (internal)
    In GENERAL tab: allowed PPTP, L2TP and IPSec (maybe just the last one is needed)
    In IPSec tab:
    IPSecSA: ESP-3DES-MD5-DH7
    IKE Peer ID Valid.: If supported by cert.
    IKE Keepalives: checked
    Reauth on rekey: unchecked
    Tunnel type: remoteaccess
    Auth: Internal
    IPComp: None
    Mode Config.: Checked
    Allow PW storage on client: checked (but I wouldn't do this for your users)
    Default domain name: my domain name
    IPSec through NAT: Checked
    IPSec thru NAT UDP Port: 10000
    PPTP/L2TP settings (don't know if relevant but just want to give you the whole picture):
    Use client address: unchecked
    PPTP Auth. Protocols: uncheck all
    PPTP encr.: uncheck all
    PPTP compression: unchecked
    L2TP Ath. prot.: uncheck all
    L2TP encr: uncheck all
    L2TP compr.: uncheck all
    User configuration: Created a new user (e.g. PDAUSER) part of PDAGROUP
    IP Address/Subnet: Gave him a static IP, but suspect I didn't need to.
    GENERAL Tab: Tunneling prots: PP2P, L2TP, IPSec
    IPSec Tab: IPSec SA: ESP-3DES-MD5-DH7
    PPTP/L2TPtab: nothing checked in the whole tab

This worked great for me. Again, I know I have not had time to fine tune this, so securitywise I am sure I have not tightened it as much as possible. Hope it works for you, and let me know how it goes and if you need clarifications. All the best,

Paolo
    Where do I get Movian?
    I'm on TMobile GSM w/Treo 650 and need to connect to a Cisco VPN (3005 I think)
    I have the IP, group name, password and my authentication info.

Thanks!

(or any other suggestions? preferably free or at least trailware?)
    Searching (so far in vain) for Movian software.....
  14. seh
    I'm in a similar situation. I would like low-cost or free vpn software for use with T-Mobile. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    I'm in search of the Movian vpn too. Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by koshananni
    Paolotto,
    Did you get the Movian vpn to work on Cingular? We also have Cisco hardward, but could not get beyond the error message I noted above. Techs at Cingular didn't give us much hope, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    I have Movian working on Cingular. However it only works on the 650, we were never able to get it to work on the Treo 600 and I don't think it ever will.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Appreciate if someone can give me the file for Treo650.

william_lim@pacific.net.sg

Thanks.
    I'd deeply appreciate it also.
    I'd really appreciate a copy of movian as well. I've got a wierd version that won't allow me to connect...I can't find it anywhere. Hopefully this version will work.. Thanks.
    Jeeter,

Can you also send me the PM?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast