Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was all set to take the plunge on the Treo 650 but I am very frustrated on getting the right pricing on the data plans. I spoke with Business Services Reps. for both AT&T and Cingular and here is the highlights of each.

AT&T: Offered me the phone for $400 with 1 year contract but unlimited data plan was $44.99.

Cingular: Offered me the phone for $450 with 1 or 2 year contract but unlimited data plan offered me was $79.99!!! Incidentally, the unlimited data plan on Cingular's web site is $44.99.

I would be more than happy to take the $24.99 plan at this point. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it? Also, what gives on Cingular selling the phone for $450 and AT&T for $400? Incidentally, AT&T offered me a $50 service credit which would essentially bring the phone price down to $350.

Extremely frustrated with this data plan mess though!!!
    Try going into your local Cingular store. I bet you will find they have literature out advertising the less expensive plans. This is exactly what happened with me this morning. I showed them their own brochure advertising Cingular Media Works ($19.99, 1500 Text, 200 Multi, UNLIMITED Media Net).

That does not apply to the 650 they said. I begged to differ, the only devices precluded by the fine print were RIM Blackberrys. We are going to throw those brochures away they said. I told them fine, but they had to honor what was advertised in the store.

I am going back in a few hours when the manager is in (they need to authorize this). At worst they promised me the $24.99 plan. I have the literature in hand.

Also, it does not hurt to tell them that this is a deal breaker...
    We've got many threads about this very issue here. If they try to sell you an expensive data plan, Just order the phone with a voice plan and no data. Call CS later to activate the $24.99 MEdia Net plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabatta
    Try going into your local Cingular store. I bet you will find they have literature out advertising the less expensive plans. This is exactly what happened with me this morning. I showed them their own brochure advertising Cingular Media Works ($19.99, 1500 Text, 200 Multi, UNLIMITED Media Net).

That does not apply to the 650 they said. I begged to differ, the only devices precluded by the fine print were RIM Blackberrys. We are going to throw those brochures away they said. I told them fine, but they had to honor what was advertised in the store.

I am going back in a few hours when the manager is in (they need to authorize this). At worst they promised me the $24.99 plan. I have the literature in hand.

Also, it does not hurt to tell them that this is a deal breaker...
    I will be going to my cingular store after work this afternoon to explore buying a new 650, i'll keep your advice in mind, I have already been a cingular subscriber for about 3 years. They owe me a new phone, and their customer support has been pretty bad since i joined i only stay for the rollover minutes.

Hopefully i will not have as much difficulty as i did the last time i needed a new phone.
    All set. New 650 activated with $19.99 MediaWorks unlimited.
    Do you have an extra copy of that brochure? May be that's a good technique!
    Showing them the offer... Deal breaker! I ll appreciate if you can send it to me via PM or at luisjrodz@gmail.com Thanks
    i tried to get the 19.99 media works unlimited i could not ...can you tell me what i need to do to get that plan please help
    yes please i need to get the brochure too please !!!
    I do have an extra brochure. However, I am not sure how much good it will do you. The key is finding these brochures in the store and then showing it to the manager. Then they have no choice but to honor it. Having one with no others around might not work. If you really want it, I am happy to send it.

The bad news is that I may not keep the 650. Things I am disapointed in:
    - Sound quality is not good at all. I came over from VZW, so I am not sure if this is the phone or just GSM.
    - E-Mail is proving quirky with my corporate server thus far. If I don't get it worked out, it will be more hassler than it is worth.
    - Maybe it is just me, but Edge speeds seem a bit overhyped.

Going to give it a few days, but not very impressed for $400 so far. Hate to waste the $19.95 unlimited access though.
    does the 24.99 media works allow access to email, the salesman said that it didnt
    The salesman was wrong (as usual).
    that's what i figured. he was saying it only has access to the features they want you to have. I was under the impression that it was a full internet package. The package i had for my older motorola phone was similar, and i could get to any web page i wanted. They wouldnt load graphics because the phone couldnt handle it, but it went anywhere.

I just want to make sure the 24.99 package will allow me to use all the functions of the new smartphone
    I am going to try this out, hopfully i can get the 19.99 mediaworks plan.
    That would be the only reson for me to switch from t-mo to cing. Not a bad price for fast net.
    Does Cingular's Mediaworks Unlimited allow you to access SMTP email like Microsoft Outlook?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabatta
    I do have an extra brochure. However, I am not sure how much good it will do you. The key is finding these brochures in the store and then showing it to the manager. Then they have no choice but to honor it. Having one with no others around might not work. If you really want it, I am happy to send it.

The bad news is that I may not keep the 650. Things I am disapointed in:
    - Sound quality is not good at all. I came over from VZW, so I am not sure if this is the phone or just GSM.
    - E-Mail is proving quirky with my corporate server thus far. If I don't get it worked out, it will be more hassler than it is worth.
    - Maybe it is just me, but Edge speeds seem a bit overhyped.

Going to give it a few days, but not very impressed for $400 so far. Hate to waste the $19.95 unlimited access though.

Please, send it anyway! I'll try that way!!

luisjrodz@gmail.com
    I guess I didn't have to worry about the data plan, because the phone stinks to begin with. I am returning it tomorrow. Anyone have a good suggestion for a Cingular phone I can use the good MediaWorks plan I locked into.

At the end of the day, I just can't hear anyone on the phone (whether on speaker or not). This is really a deal breaker for me.

Hope you all have better luck than I did!
    I kept my MEdia Works for $19.99 on my Moto V551. Since the phone has bluetooth and EDGE support I use it, in addition to great voice calls, for BT DUN. I'm waiting for Cingular to introduce a better PPC phone that supports EDGE, and possibly UMTS when that ever comes around.
    The deals the brick and mortar stores are offering are way better than what I have seen over the net or thru Cingular. My Treo was $325 witha 1 year plan. Keep the phone for a week. Don't talk to Cingular. Go on the web site, look at your account, and then your plan, than "Add Features"....all the plans are available for access , you pick. here's what I am seeing:

Feature Monthly Charge

PDA Connect - Unlimited $39.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 2500 messages/month $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - Unlimited $24.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 8 MB/month $19.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 200 messages/month $4.99 Add feature
    Extended Nights and Weekends $7.00 Add feature
    MEdia Works $19.99 Add feature
    MEdia Basic $9.99 Add feature
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - 4 MB/month $34.99 Add feature
    Xpress Mail for BlackBerry - Unlimited $44.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Shared Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling $9.99 Add feature
    Voice Connect $4.99 Add feature
    Detailed Billing $0.99 Add feature
    Enhanced Voice Mail $3.99 Add feature
    Roadside Assistance $2.99 Add feature
    Three-Way Calling $0.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 50 messages/month $2.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99 Add feature
    Text Messaging - 1000 messages/month $9.99 Add feature
    MEdia Net - 3 MB/month $9.99 Add feature
    Basic Voice Mail $1.99 Add feature
    Call Forwarding $0.99 Add feature
    Gabatta,

Try a cingular Nokia 6620. It's "MEdiaWorks/MEdiaNet legal", supports EDGE (though only class 2 or 118kbps), has a full browser (Opera), supports MobiTV (way cool, good framerate at least here in Indianapolis), can be insured, reads PDF's "on the fly" with PDF+ ($20), nice UI if you never need to draw on the screen, has BT DUN, can voicedial via BT, has great RF and volume via earpiece and speakerphone, and has great still and video cam with night mode, etc., etc. (where do I stop?). I'm getting my 650 today (roadshow from VC) and I'll give it a try, but I'm probably going to stay right where I am!

Todd/Indy
    Thanks for the advice, I will check it out. As far as only getting to 118k, that is not a problem, as in repeated testing with the 650, I rarely exceeded that.

SOunds like a solid option all in all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast