Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Does Cingular having the same thing as Sprint's $5/mth equipment replacement plan? I am considering switching to Cingular, but want to make sure I can get a new phone if the 650 breaks.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    My understanding is that Cingular has the benefits of a larger service area and being GSM. Its disadvantages are that service is more expensive, the phones are more expensive and there is no replacement service. Given the documented issues with the Treo's does it make sense to go with a service provider with no replacement insurance?
    In my specific case it was because Sprint coverage at my house was terrible and I recently had to make sure I had cell service at home. I would still have them today if the signal had been better. I had been with them long enough that I had a very good plan and great data packages. There's no reason not to get Sprint if you have a decent signal and like their plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    In my specific case it was because Sprint coverage at my house was terrible and I recently had to make sure I had cell service at home. I would still have them today if the signal had been better. I had been with them long enough that I had a very good plan and great data packages. There's no reason not to get Sprint if you have a decent signal and like their plans.
    And don't need GSM.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thank you for simplifying the carrier selection process!
    I have been a Palm owner for over 5 years and have benefited from having an extended warranty and advanced replacement plan.

I have had my Cingular Treo 650 for about a week and am surprised to learn that no extended warranty plan is available. This seems crazy that a $550 phone does not have any kind of service plan!

This could be a deal breaker for me in returning the phone under the 30 day policy.
    The rep at the local Cingular store, after being asked about insurance, by me, responded with "We currently offer no replacement plans with this particular device, but you could always cover it with you home owners insurance."

Now we all know the last thing you want to do is make a claim on your home owners insurance for only $500. I think my deductable is $250, which varies, and now the insurance company has an excuse to raise your rates.

Sprint offers coverage for $5 per month, with a $50 deductable. That $120 in a 2 year period, when more times than not, something will happen to your phone. $170 beats $400 in my book.

Everytime I talk to reps from Cingular and Sprint, I keep getting swayed back and forth between providors. I'm still up in the air on which to go with, or give up on the Treo alltogether.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    BUG--you list your Treo on the scheduled personal articles part of your homeowners (all-risk coverage), and there is no deductible. Ask your agent.
    I just called State Farm and they are insuring my phone for $30.00 per year. It covers "ANYTHING" that happens to the phone. Theft, breaks, water damage....etc with no deductible. A MUCH! better deal then paying $4.99 per month and then having a $35 - $50.
    Sadly, you still need to have a homeowners policy with state farm in order to get that policy...It's covered as a sub-policy to your homeowners insurance...sadly those of us who don't own homes are not eligible.
    You should be able to get similar coverage on most renter's policies.
    I guess it cannot hurt to check with your insurance company. I feel 100 times better knowing my phone is now covered.
    Guys, be careful submitting claims for phones on your home insurance. I heard from a few people that your premiums go skyrocketing when a claim is made.

I'm back with Sprint now, and their great $5/month Lockline for my PPC phone. I will not add it to my home owners insurance.
    Hey, I looked at my bill, and I am being charged 3.99 a month for this protection plan from Cingular. The rep told me it covers damage, lost, stolen phone? I do not see any fine print on my bill.
    We've said this a hundred times. What your rep says means nothing. Talk to Lockline and tell em you got a Treo 650, and let's see what they tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Guys, be careful submitting claims for phones on your home insurance. I heard from a few people that your premiums go skyrocketing when a claim is made.
    I have State Farm and if you make a claim, it does not affect your homeowner's policy or your scheduled personal articles policy. If you abuse the insurance (make lots of claims), they will cancel your scheduled personal articles policy.