1.    #1  
    I have my VersaMail app checking mail very often on my Cingular MediaWorks unlimited plan.

2 questions:

- Am I using up minutes being connected?
    - Am I able to get phone calls while my VersaMail gets mail?

Thanks for answering a n00b's questions.
    Data service does not use minutes. I don't think you can use GPRS/EDGE data service at the same time as voice. I think if you are using data service and a voice call comes in, the phone will interrupt data service to answer the call. So, essentially your email download gets put on hold.
    Data calls do not use up voice minutes in MEdia Works, or any other data plan, other than CSD.

You can get voice calls only when the connection idles between data fetches. But not when the connection is active.
  4.    #4  
    OK, so I called my treo from a land line while my antenna said I was connected (2 green arrows above reception bars) and my call came through. I answered and hung up after a second and my Treo still showed itself as connected to data service.
    you have to be actually using the data connection. if you were doing an email download, the call would of gone to VM

so even if you are surfing the web, if you happen to be reading a page, your phone may ring with a call.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I just opened up the browser started downloading wikipedia.org and called my phone. A window popped up saying I had a call. I clicked answer and it changed to the phone. It did not go back to the browser after I hung up.

I tried it a second time when loading google.com and it went to voicemail.

Not very predictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    I just opened up the browser started downloading wikipedia.org and called my phone. A window popped up saying I had a call. I clicked answer and it changed to the phone. It did not go back to the browser after I hung up.

I tried it a second time when loading google.com and it went to voicemail.

Not very predictable.
    Yeah, I think that's about the best way to put it. In my experince it seems like I'm notified of slightly more than 1/2 of the calls if the data connection is active while the rest go to voicemail. At least it's better than CDMA where none of the calls came though on an active data connection.
    The fact that the two green bar are up does not mean there is an actual data transfer taking place at that instance. If you were really exchanging a packet at the moment the call came in, it would go to voice mail. My 600 is set yo _always_ be attached to the net (green arrows). I have Chatter getting mail pushed to it and Causerie waiting for IM's. I also spend too much time browsing,etc. Yet I miss less than 5% of the calls coming in... probably less.
    I know that there has been a lot of discussion about this in another thread or threads. I can be actively tranferring data and will still (more often than not) get notifications of calls before they are transferred to voicemail. I just went to www.dlsreports.com/mspeed and ran the 200KB test five times. Each time I called my phone during the data transfer and three times the call went through and suspended the data tranfer and twice I went to voicemail. Perhaps the call managed to sneak in between packets. It's safe to say though that I've never had any problems. If calls go to voicemail, they go to voicemail, that what's it for.
    A lot of confusion on this score.. And the subject of many threads with a lot people authoritatively declaring that the GSM Treo cannot receive a phone call while actively receiving data..
    Not True! People such as Creighton above have noted that they do receive a call while on an active data transfer. But the problem is as some other people have noted is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Here's why..
    The Treo is a GPRS Class B device. That means that unlike a Class A device it cannot handle simulataneous data and voice connection but unlike Class C devices it CAN automatically switch to voice in the middle of a data connection.
    The operative word is CAN because there is another factor. Besides the phone's capability, the network's capability also has to be taken into account. Networks come in 3 Network Operation Modes or NOMs which are the counterpart of the different phone classes. On NOM 1 networks devices with Class A capability can be connected to voice and data simulatneously. NOM 2 networks, Class A and B phones are maintained on the GPRS network but the data is paused to allow a voice call to go through and NOM 3 networks cannot maintain a conenction to both voice and data at the same time.
    So with a GSM Class B device like the Treo while you are on a NOM 1 or NOM 2 network, an active data transfer WILL be interrupted and you will get an option to transfer to voice. However should you be roaming on a NOM 3 network at the time then because of the network limitations the Treo will effectively function as a Class C device and your data transfer will not be interrupted and the voice call will go to VM.
    Whether you're connected to a NOM 1, 2 or 3 network at any one time is not something you can control and has to do with what's going behind the scenes at T mob or Cingular. However as Class A devices are introduced in the US and the carriers upgrade their networks to NOM 1 this won't be an issue in the future and we will be able to conclusively do both voice and data at the same time.