1.    #1  
    Man, I am lost. Media Net, Media Works, etc., etc.

What's what? What, exactly, is provided and not provided with Media Net unlimited? Text messages? Internet access to any site?

I do not understand how this all works, nor do I understand all the terminology.

Can anyone straighten this out for me? Can you clarify things like what various kinds of things I get and do not get with various packages?

These are various things I know about, but I do not necessarily know what they mean or what access you get to them with Media Net unlimited.

Text messaging (is this the same thing as "SMS")
    Multimedia messages.

What about using Verichat or similar programs to use MSN instant messenger (or AOL, or ICQ) - can that replace text messaging?

I am sooooo confused.

Help me, please!
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic

What's what? What, exactly, is provided and not provided with Media Net unlimited? Text messages? Internet access to any site?

I do not understand how this all works, nor do I understand all the terminology.

Can anyone straighten this out for me? Can you clarify things like what various kinds of things I get and do not get with various packages?

These are various things I know about, but I do not necessarily know what they mean or what access you get to them with Media Net unlimited.

Text messaging (is this the same thing as "SMS")
    Multimedia messages.

What about using Verichat or similar programs to use MSN instant messenger (or AOL, or ICQ) - can that replace text messaging?

I am sooooo confused.

Help me, please!
    I just got off the phone with Cingular's 'Customer Care', there is no difference between the PD Connect Unlimited package and MediaNet Unlimited; To get any text messaging or multimedia messaging you must add the package that suits your usage for each separately. PD Connect Unlimited offers NO TEXT OR MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING! Just an internet connection that quacks like MediaNet, waddles like MediaNet, hmm even tastes like MediaNet….. IT IS MediaNet!! By golly its just (Business Class) Internet Express Unlimited repackaged for $39.99 ($10 cheaper than before)!! So save yourself $15 (or less if you add text/multimedia) I saved $5 after adding text AND multimedia.
  3.    #3  
    If I get no text or multimedia, do I risk getting messages and paying for each one if I look at them? Is that how this works? Or is it only for outgoing that I pay?
    You should be paying/deducted for any outgoing messages to you make. Incoming is unlimited, at least that's how my AT&T plans, but I've got 100 txt msg plan.
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    Thank you. This means I can use internet access for outgoing and get free incoming. Sounds reasonable. I'll have to confirm this with Cingular.

Quote Originally Posted by crc408
    You should be paying/deducted for any outgoing messages to you make. Incoming is unlimited, at least that's how my AT&T plans, but I've got 100 txt msg plan.
    Last edited by westronic; 02/23/2005 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic

Even Cingular reps would chase their tails trying to explain all the new plans with stupid new prices. But if you spend sometime at Cingular's web site you'll understand the differences.

If you buy a Treo they will try to stick you with a $39.99 PDA plan. Don't go for it. Right now the best unlimited plan they have, that will work on any PDA phone, is the $24.99 MEdia Net.

The $19.99 MEdia Works unlimited plan is no more. It has been replaced by two plans:

-MEdia Works with 3 MB
    -MEdia Net with 8MB

Both plans are $19.99
    I just got off the phone with a cingular rep and she said the pda plan is for the newer treo phones (600 & 650) the media net is for older treos (handspring models) and any other regular (non pda) handsets. She said if a treo 650 user were to try to use Media Net, the cingular system would not recognize it properly and will cause billing issues (getting charged per kilobyte, etc)
    I wonder of this is all a bunch of bull or the real thing. I don't know, but I certainly don't want to be stuck calling cingular because of a billing issue and they look at my bill and reply "The only way this could have happened is if you are trying to use a treo 650 with the Media net plan, because they are not compatible"
    Unless someone can state beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is all bull and the media net unlim. will work fine with my treo 650.
  8.    #8  
    Cingular.com now lists the Media Net unlimited plan as an option for the Treo 600, at least. The 650 was not listed (man, what a mess since the merger!!).
    Last I checked on the Cingular website,the data plan listed with the 650 is Media Net unlimited for 24.99. Also, Cingular charges for incoming SMS's. The only way to not get billed for SMS's is the haave a text plan or have them turn off text messaging capability on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalelrojin
    She said if a treo 650 user were to try to use Media Net, the cingular system would not recognize it properly and will cause billing issues (getting charged per kilobyte, etc)
    I wonder of this is all a bunch of bull or the real thing.
    I am 99.999% sure that is B.S., but I get my bill from Cingular next week so I'll be sure to post if I get billed for extra data usage. I have the original $19.99 Unlimited MEdia Works package from a prior phone and just stuck the SIM in my Treo 600 last week and I've been using a lot of data access since then.
    I'll give you the additional 0.0001% to make it 100%. I've met dozens of Cingular reps, and talked to dozens on the phone. If you want to confuse yourself just ask a cingular rep. They are full of BS. They invent answers on the go, shamelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I'll give you the additional 0.0001% to make it 100%. I've met dozens of Cingular reps, and talked to dozens on the phone. If you want to confuse yourself just ask a cingular rep. They are full of BS. They invent answers on the go, shamelessly.
    yeah, I don't know what's going on with all that, but this is where I had a terrible time with Cingular. Ive already gone into the whole mess on another post, but i wanted to add some insight to the confusion of internet plans with cingular.

You're completely right Tony, Cingular's reps do not know what they are talking about with the Treo. They will tell you anything to get you into a contract. I was told over and over and over again at 3 different stores by about 7 different sales guys (oh, I keep names) that the $20/mo internet would work for the treo 600 that i very recently got.

And now I've been told by completely different reps (the tele-sales guys) that the Media Net $20/mo will not work on my Treo. I finally asked for a supervisor and a woman named Connie explained that the only way to get unlimited internet would be their $40/mo plan that does not include texting.

Also, the Treo takes me to Cingular's Media webpage to Log In to access my bookmarks and alerts and whatever, but when I Log In from my PC to get multimedia (ringtones, etc), it doesn't seem to have any applications for Treo. Why would Cingular direct me to sign up for an account to access "things to personalize my phone with" when it only offers small-screen applications??

I'm just so confused. I've had my phone since Tuesday. So I'll wait for the bill. And then I'll prolly call and ask for Connie...

**sigh** I just don't know...It's a good thing the Treo is awfully cute (and smart)
    This is off topic, kind of, but I wanted to throw in my $0.02 with respect to the incompetency (hopefully) and/or shameless lies (hope not but probably) of some Cingular CSR's. I called the other day for the subsidy unlock code for my Treo 650 so I could use it in Angola where I work several months of the year and was told very nicely that I didn't need to unlock the phone to use it with "foreign" carriers. She informed me that I would only need an unlock code if I had a Sprint or Verizon phone and wanted to use it on Cingular's network. I kindly replied that I thought she was incorrect b/c Sprint and Verizon were CDMA not GSM, and she responded by telling me "Exactly, that what unlocking the phone does. It let's CDMA phones work on our GSM network."

To tie this message in with the thread, I agree that it would be very helpful if the persons that were charged with providing customers with "service" actually had some knowledge of the "services" they were providing. The concept does not seem that difficult. The fact that you can talk to five different CSR's or techs and get five different answers is ridiculous.
    So she thinks unlocking a phone enables you to use a Sprint phone on Cingular's network? Sanctuary!!!!! LOL

If I was were one of Cingular's top managers I would probably weed out more than 80% of the reps.
    logging in to cingular.com allows me to add a treo600 with the $39.95 400 Nationwide Minutes Plan. I can then add on hte $24.95 unlimited MediaNet plan. If I was getting a new cingular plan now, that is what I would get.

I currently am grandfathered in under the old $19.95 MediaWorks plan, which has always worked like a charm doing email, browsing, sshing, pinging, im'ing etc.