1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    ...it's ridiculous.

The Cingular business rep for the company I work for (40,000+ employees) insists that I need the unlimited PDA connect plan ($39.99) in order for my Treo to be fully functional on the internet.

I've told her that I'm nearly positive (based on what I've read here) that the Media Net Unlimited ($24.99) will give me the same functionality, but she's convinced that MNU only provides web access, but not email.

I'm already a Cingular voice customer (I have no existing contracts).. so I think what I should do is call Cingular now and get them to add MNU to my current plan without giving them any background...

THEN follow the link on the web to "upgrade my phone" to a T650.

Sound like it'll work?
    Just tell them to add Media Net unlimited. They'll argue and say it only gives you web, not email. Just tell them "that's fine, please just do it anyway." They're wrong, you know it, and once it's added, you'll see you can do everything. Mail, web, laptop 'teather', VPN (IPSec, not PPTP because it's NAT.)
    No need to argue with them, just tell them what you want them to do. If they don't, you can always hang up an try again. WHenever I call and ask them to add/change a feature, they always ask what phone I have and I just say "Samsung X427" even though I use the 600/650, that way they don't try to argue with me. You can also try to log in to your account through Cingular.com and see if MNU is an option you can add under "add features" (see attached GIF.) You can always try to do it that way too.

Correct, however, I haven't found any difference betwee the $40 PDA plan and the $25 Meida Net plan except for the price. Settings, speed, technogy, all identical. I think the $40 is just an old plan for "business suckers" that's no longer in line with the consumer Media Net plan.

What you said will work, to add the package, then upgrade to the Treo 650 keeping all of your existing plans.

I'd like to point out that when you buy the phone online, you can get MNU as an add on feature after you pick your plan (going through the shopping cart online purchase procedure.) At least it does with my zip code.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/22/2005 at 06:50 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Just tell them to add Media Net unlimited. They'll argue and say it only gives you web, not email. Just tell them "that's fine, please just do it anyway." They're wrong, you know it, and once it's added, you'll see you can do everything.
    This is some interesting information...I have a 600, but I was thinking of upgrading to the 650. Is EDGE speed supported by doing this? (Wait...does cingular have EDGE...?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Treo
    This is some interesting information...I have a 600, but I was thinking of upgrading to the 650. Is EDGE speed supported by doing this? (Wait...does cingular have EDGE...?)
    Yes, and yes.
    Cingular has EDGE in certain areas. The T650 supports EDGE when available.

I agree with PKX about Cingular reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Treo
    Judging from your nick I would assume you're in Texas somewhere. I've had good results with EDGE in Houston and suburbs including Sugarland/Missouri City and The Woodlands. I've also had pretty good results in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth. I obviously haven't covered every square inch of each locale but in general I've been very pleased with the data rates.