1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    You are a few days slow, been posted and reposted a few times already...

And if she had a Treo, this wouldn't have happened to her.
    Make sure that on your BT settings you keep Discoverable OFF.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    You are a few days slow, been posted and reposted a few times already...

And if she had a Treo, this wouldn't have happened to her.
    Forgive me if I have better things to do than post here obsessively.

What I find humorous is the fact that a supposed selling point for the Hiptop/Sidekick is the fact that address books need not be stored on the unit itself and the loss or theft of the unit would not compromise private phone numbers. This is particularly important to celebrities.

Witness the quote from some unnamed celeb about the incident:

I gave her my number after we met in Miami, I did not know she f**king kept it on her cellphone!

Clearly this person had no concept of how the system is supposed to work. Keeping your famous friends numbers on your cell is a total no-no in hollywood land. Seems the supposed security feature is not foolproof.

Yes, I suppose an internet hacker would not have access to her data had it been on a treo, but she would have run the risk of compromising the data if the unit was lost or stolen.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Forgive me if I have better things to do than post here obsessively.

What I find humorous is the fact that a supposed selling point for the Hiptop/Sidekick is the fact that address books need not be stored on the unit itself and the loss or theft of the unit would not compromise private phone numbers. This is particularly important to celebrities.

Witness the quote from some unnamed celeb about the incident:

I gave her my number after we met in Miami, I did not know she f**king kept it on her cellphone!

Clearly this person had no concept of how the system is supposed to work. Keeping your famous friends numbers on your cell is a total no-no in hollywood land. Seems the supposed security feature is not foolproof.

Yes, I suppose an internet hacker would not have access to her data had it been on a treo, but she would have run the risk of compromising the data if the unit was lost or stolen.
    I really don't think that sidekick thing is all that great. Could you not just buy some passcode software that locks the treo when it shuts off. Then when you hit the power, hit the center button, then enter a 4 digit pin/ or a password of your choosing to unlock the treo? I think this would be much better than storing all your #s on a stupid a** website.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    And there we have it. Thanks Miller.
    The real problem with the Sidekicks (my girlfriend has one) is that you're not aware of the fact that your data is not stored on the device. I didn't even know that's the way it worked until I read the article about the kid who cracked T-Mobile's website(s) and got access to all of their customer data.
  9.    #9  
    Re: msafe

Not good enough. What's to stop someone from syncing/backing up your treo before you can send the SMS? what if they turn the wireless mode off?

Just a gimmick. A joke from the security standpoint.
    Re: msafe

Not good enough. What's to stop someone from syncing/backing up your treo before you can send the SMS? what if they turn the wireless mode off?

Just a gimmick. A joke from the security standpoint.
    I doubt any of the lowlifes who would steal something like a Treo would have HotSync manager or BackupBuddy handy (lol, now that's a joke..) or even think to do that. There's a chance they may turn wireless mode off before you could send an SMS, but again, why would they..

Msafe sounds like a great idea (better than nothing, right?), but I'll surely go with your solution if it's better -- what's it called again?
    mSafe will let you know if your SMS command worked via an email reply. If you realize you lost your Treo before someone finds it, mSafe will protect you. It seems to be the best solution out there to proect yourself in case of a loss. I wouldn't call it a guarantee, but I wouldn't call it a joke either.
    I have mSafe and like the added security. It is not perfect. It won't help protect you from a sophisticated hacker on a T650 since the NVRAM theoretically stores an image of your data even if the battery is pulled and even if you do a hard reset. PalmOne has specific instructions for how to thoroughly wipe a T650 before selling it/returning it (and the convolutions to accomplish this are impressive!).