Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    If you have a 64k sim from Gemplus then you will have a rebooting problem. Go in and get the Axalto sim works.

On the chip there is a six digit number left of the gold chip. If it ends with G it is bad. If it ends in A it is okay.

32k sims will work.
    This problem cause dropped calls and rebooting during calls etc.
    (This seems to be worth a thread on it's own.)

I've got an unlocked GSM 650, and put in a Cinglular SIM with a G on the end of the number, and am having absolutely no luck using the phone. Reboots and lockups left and right.

I have a replacement phone being shipped to me by PalmOne, on the theory that it was a defective unit, but now I see a ray of hope.

Today, I stopped by my local Cingular store, and all they had was Gemplus SIMs. Any idea how I can find an Axalto one locally? (Atlanta for me)

Can anyone else confirm that Gemplus SIMs don't work and Axalto does?
    I have this sim, and while I had a couple reboots in the beginning, the phone has been stable since then.
    This info is from the same hoax thread at hofo that claims to unlock your cingular T650. Someone needs to confirm the Gemplus 64K SIM issue with Cingular and PalmOne. As for unlocking the phone, it has been confirmed to be a hoax.
    Well all I can say is that there is definitely a 64k SIM issue occurring and I (as well as many others) have experienced. I was able to talk my local Cingular store into giving me a 32K SIM (luckily they still had a couple left) like I had before and trashed that 64k SIM that I got from them a few weeks back, before I got the 650, and I haven't got a single issue since Friday (when i got it). Very contrary to my last weeks experience where I was ready to smash and return my unlocked 650 to P1!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Confirmed. I was having constant reboots and the voicemail problem. Data support told me to get either a 32k SIM or an "Axalto" SIM.

When I switched them out, I notied the old serial ended with "G" and the new one with "A".

That fixed all of my problems. I was so happy!
    Confirmed. I called Cingular Tech Rep today and they said this is a known issue. They put a note on my account authorizing an exchange to the axalto 64k sim card. Now I can goto a local store and get it exchanged at no charge.
    I've had my Cingular Treo 650 for a day and a half. Its sim card number ends in G. After about a couple hours of operation, it developed a bad problem with rebooting -- it would reboot every time I got a call or tried to place a call! But I was able to fix the problem by doing a hard reset, and so far, the problem has not come back.

This is just a guess, but I doubt my rebooting problem had anything to do with my sim card at all.
    [QUOTE=Dana Nau]But I was able to fix the problem by doing a hard reset, and so far, the problem has not come back.
    QUOTE]

OOhh it will!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    FWIW, my wife and I each have Cingular T650s with the 64k AXalto SIMs and have no issues with voicemail, reboots etc. Just a couple of additional data points to consider.
  10.    #10  
    Just a status update: I recieved a replacement phone from PalmOne, and the new phone has no problems.
    Confirmed. Replaced 64kG SIMw/ 32k. No problems since.
    The Information About the sims causing the problems can be confirmed.. We got a email Product advisory at work about the Gempus 64k Sims.. says If a customer with a Gemplus Sim card Sku ending in a g should be replaced with axalto sim for a rebooting, voicemail Number being replace with random numbers and screen freezing and non responsive.. advise customer to have the sim repalaced and all new activation for treo 650 should use axalto sims
    Is the email (or portions thereof) something you could post without violating anything? Reason I ask is I went into Cingular due to the reboot problem, and they lookd at me like I had six heads..

--dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgwarsh
    The Information About the sims causing the problems can be confirmed.. We got a email Product advisory at work about the Gempus 64k Sims.. says If a customer with a Gemplus Sim card Sku ending in a g should be replaced with axalto sim for a rebooting, voicemail Number being replace with random numbers and screen freezing and non responsive.. advise customer to have the sim repalaced and all new activation for treo 650 should use axalto sims
    Don't confuse the Cingular store folks with the facts. Just tell them that you spent time on the phone with the Cingular Tech Support team and they told you specifically to go to a Cingular store for a 'SIM swap' (use that exact phrase) and that you were told to be sure to get an Axalto SIM (that has a serial number ending in 'A'). You should get a SIM and should not have to pay.
    Although I don't need the Axalto 64K SIM I tend to always ask the question whenever I'm at a Cingular store or talking to tech support. The reaction is as you guys described. They've never heard of it. They don't know what an Axalto 64K SIM is. Two asked: "How can you tell the difference between Gemplus and Axalto?"
    [QUOTE=millerhifi]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Nau
    But I was able to fix the problem by doing a hard reset, and so far, the problem has not come back.
    QUOTE]

OOhh it will!
    Yes, I've started getting resets (although nothing near as bad as before), and my voicemail number has been garbled since day 1. I've put in a request for an Axalto card and hope to get it soon.
    Why don't you just stop by a Cingular Corp store and have them exchange yours?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Some people don't quite seem to be sure about what card is what and why some Gemplus 64 cards seem to work and why some don't. For example, I read a few times about looking for a serial number with a "G" in it to determine of yoy have a Gemplus card.....well in this case, not really necessary as it says GEMPLUS right on it.

I have had no phone issues with my Cingular 650 and the card is identified as follows:

BTW, have no idea whether these numbers can be used for ill so x just means a digit.

Green Card:

"65xxxG"

and

"3xx1"

On left side.

In center bottom, right on gold contact area it says "GEMPLUS"

Flip side (orange and white) has "64k smart chip" and Cingular fits you best" written on it with a 19 digit number (serial no. ?) above.

Maybe this somehow looks different than the bad ones ?
    I received my Treo 650 on 2/22 (already 5 days in to the 30 day warranty period). I am a Palm PDA and Nokia phone convert. I setup the PDA portion and hotsync'ed to my computer. I started noticing delays of 10-30 seconds between selections and many reboots. Due to still having my Nokia (PalmOne says that I should have kept my old number, but it didn't happen), I did not try the phone other than a few times and each time there were problems or reboots.

My battery also seems to only last about 1/3 of what I expect. I charge the phone and within a few hours is already below 50% with very little PDA use. I even turned off the phone and just let the PDA function with the same results.

I read about unchecking the Network Local Time in the Date/Time preference and that seemed to fix everything, for about 3-4 hours. The lockups/reboots still happened enough that I could not keep the "skin" that I also bought on the phone. At least the Calendar function worked without the delays. This also seems to have allowed the battery to last much longer. I have gone almost 24 hours without recharging, but I have not used the PDA much (other than testing) and only made 2-3 short test phone calls.

Today I read about the Gemplus->Axalto SIM exchange and went to my local ATT (now converted to Cinglular) store. Even though they have not even received the Treo 650 in the store (maybe next week), they swapped my SIM with a new Cingular SmartCard 64 version and I have been reboot free for 3 hours.

The other main reason that I have not canceled my Nokia is that the Treo seems to go to sleep, after 1-2 hours of non-use, and never wake up without a poke in the battery compartment. Sounds like an old girlfriend of mine.

I will see if this new hardware patch fixes that problem.

So a list of my current problems that will hopefully be fixed by unchecking the Network Local Time and Axalto SIM replacement:

1> Treo locks up when left off for more than 60 minutes
    2> Battery only lasts about 45-90 minutes from a full (green light) charge
    3> Voicemail - random numbers - can't edit existing number
    4> PDA functions randomly hang for 15-30 seconds when selecting new option

I hope that I haven't upset the "techie" gods by creating a list...
    Well, I have a Gemplus SIM card in my Cingular 650, and I've been receiving the Voicemail number corruption, resets and freezes. I've spoken to both Cingular and PalmOne. Neither group seems to know anything about the SIM card replacement initiative. PalmOne is actually sending me out a new 650 because they believe that mine is defective.

Dunc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast