Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I've spoken to both Cingular and PalmOne. Neither group seems to know anything about the SIM card replacement initiative. PalmOne is actually sending me out a new 650 because they believe that mine is defective.
    Dunc
    Show them this:

http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ostID=20159264
    http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ostID=20162832
    http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000395.php
    Update - I spoke, again, to Cingular this morning and things have now changed... The rep I spoke with was aware of the problem, called 4 stores and sent me to one that had the chip in stock. I got to the store (16th & Chestnut in Philadelphia) and they too were aware of the problem, but did not have the SIMs in stock... They said they were expecting them by Wednesday of this week. I also found out that the problem is somewhat market specific - the 'A' SIMs (which have longer serial numbers) were always being used in some markets - specifically NYC and NJ. All Pennsylvania phones were initially issued G (Gemplus) SIMs. Not sure what other markets have which SIMs, but it is (apparently) tied to the propensity for fraud in a market (eg. NYC was getting the more secure card).

Dunc
    I bought mine in NY and have a Gemplus 64k card....no need to look for a "G" in the serial number for identification though as it very clearly says "Gemplus" right on it. Perhaps these are the OK ones as I am having no problems.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Same here in Central NJ. New Gemstar 64K SIM provided to me from a Cingular Retailer on Weds. 2/16. No problems as far as reboots go. Only phone related problems I have had have been two lockups during a phone conversation that killed my bluetooth headset signal, while the touchscreen freezes and won't let me hang up the call. Only a reset by either pressing the reset button or pulling the battery alleviated the condition). Other than this I have had no other issues or lockups. Voicemail is fine and I have had no random reboots that were not institued by me..
    Looks like I spoke too soon. Yesterday, my phone rebooted when the phone rang, then when I checked the VM number, it wass a string of 000's. I called CS and they had me go to a store to swap out the SIM card.

Oddly enough, everything seems to be working now (got an 'A' SIM), but when I look up the VM number in the phone, it's not my cell number. It calls into my VM and works though.

Wierd.
    I was told that the number appearing in the VM field is the primary number of your local cell trunk. Kinda of the same thing when you call into a phone exchange. Your phone then identify's itself (no password needed) and you are routed to your own voicemail box
    auTOMan

Visor and MotFlip -> Zire71 and Nokia 6800 -> Treo 650
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12