Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am getting around 1-7kb speed using Treo 650 and Cingular. My questions is what are some speeds everyone else is getting and what type of data plan do you have. I currently have Media Net Unlimited and my account also shows a PDA Unlimited plan. Below is what it looks like on my account.

/WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
    PDA RETAIL-UNL $39.99
    MEDIA NET UNLIMITED $24.99
    You're testing in the wap mode. This is normal under MEdia Net. Go to the following link and test under HTML 50,100,and 200K

http://dslreports.com/mspeed

You should get a better result (40kbps~200kbps) depending on whether EDGE is active in your area.

Btw, why do you have 2 data plans? With MEdia Net unlimited you don't need the PDA plan.
  3.    #3  
    I tried the larger size and get about 38-60k. I will call the business division on Monday to verify my account correctly. I knew I did not need one of them. Not sure what plan I need but I think I need the PDA plan for the Xpress Mail service. I will double check.

PS: I came across a method of unlocking the Cingular phone for Treo650 if anyone is interested.

Put in an active cingular sim.
    Turn on the phone
    Wait till you have signal

Type in the following on the dial pad
    *#*#89155271#
    then click Dial

The treo 650 has a known problem. If you have a 64k sim from Gemplus then you will have a rebooting problem. Go in and get the Axalto sim works.

On the chip there is a six digit number left of the gold chip. If it ends with G it is bad. If it ends in A it is okay.

32k sims will work.
    This problem cause dropped calls and rebooting during calls etc.
    Is this problem unique to Treo 650? I don't have a T650, but all my Cingular 64K SIM cards are Gemplus with a lot number that ends with "G". I've got four of them.

When my phones were locked the above procedure did not work to unlock them. I had to use a TMobile SIM and just input my 8 digit subsidy code obtained from Cingular when prompted. Now any SIM will work in my phones.

If you, or anyone comes across methods for other phone let us know.
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/19/2005 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    You're testing in the wap mode. This is normal under MEdia Net. Go to the following link and test under HTML 50,100,and 200K

http://dslreports.com/mspeed

You should get a better result (40kbps~200kbps) depending on whether EDGE is active in your area.
    I followed this link but can't seem to test in HTML mode. It says "WAP" and lists a bunch of file sizes. When I click "Wap" it gives me an option to "go to HTML mode" but when I click on it, it just says "Wap" again. Am I doing something wrong? My speeds are 41k, and I think there is supposed to be EDGE coverage here. I'm also using an old 32k SIM card (three years old), which might be contributing to the problem?
    when you click on wap it goes to wap mode, if you see the wap link you are in html mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by deputycag

PS: I came across a method of unlocking the Cingular phone for Treo650 if anyone is interested... <snip>

Type in the following on the dial pad
    *#*#89155271#
    then click Dial
    This post was a bit confusing to me. So you are saying that dialing in the code above will unlock the phone? Does that delete any of the cingular stuff put on the phone? Will this mess up your service with Cingular? What are the advantages of unlocking? (hehe lots of qu.)
    Last edited by Hotoru; 02/20/2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Found part of answer
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
  8.    #8  
    I have not noticed any difference since I unlocked the phone. All Cingular Apps are still there, phone and data works. What was the benefit or unlocking the phone, good question? I thought I would give it a try since I still have time to return my phone to Cingular if I broke it. If anyone else has a better idea of this unlock feature I would like to know.
    I suppose in theory this should allow you to use non-Cingular SIM cards in your Treo. But I'd be surprised if it actually worked (often it gives you a message indicating the phone is unlocked, but it's not) ... anyone test this with a different SIM card?
    For worst-case reference, I am currently in a large concrete office building (once the largest concrete structure in America) with three floors above me, and I am not on the perimeter. I have 1 (sometimes 2) bars signal with a Treo 600. I got ~20-40kbps via Cingular.

It's perfectly usable for me.

Also, with my prior phone, a Nokia 6820, I could barely get even 1 bar in my current location. Calls did not come through on that phone, and there was not even a possibility of using even a WAP browser.
    You may want to try connect a different network. Cingular at my area has 2 networks. 1 is cingular and the other is AT&T cingular. They both display as cingular, but the AT&T one has better connection rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NetMetro
    You may want to try connect a different network. Cingular at my area has 2 networks. 1 is cingular and the other is AT&T cingular. They both display as cingular, but the AT&T one has better connection rate.
    I would say this depends on where you live. I got much better signal with the same exact phone when I switched from ATT to Cingular last fall. I get even better signal with my Treo 600 than I did with that phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by deputycag
    The treo 650 has a known problem. If you have a 64k sim from Gemplus then you will have a rebooting problem. Go in and get the Axalto sim works.
    On the chip there is a six digit number left of the gold chip. If it ends with G it is bad. If it ends in A it is okay.
    This problem cause dropped calls and rebooting during calls etc.
    I called Cingular and they said this is not a known issue. Do you have any kind of link or something to show validity to this? The only reboots I have really had are when I have been trying use some 3rd party apps. I have a Gemplus 64K card.
    I was able to squeeze into the $19.99 MediaWorks unlimited.....is that the same as MediaNet? Will I get all of the same features, speed, etc? I know its not Edge...but...??? Very confused about what Cingular is doing??
    I'm getting speeds between 40-85k/sec here in Salt Lake City.
    [QUOTE=deputycag]I am getting around 1-7kb speed using Treo 650 and Cingular. My questions is what are some speeds everyone else is getting and what type of data plan do you have. I currently have Media Net Unlimited and my account also shows a PDA Unlimited plan. Below is what it looks like on my account.

/WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
    PDA RETAIL-UNL $39.99
    MEDIA NET UNLIMITED $24.99[/QUOTE

So if which plan is the correct one if you have the Treo 650 Cingular GSM/Edge phone. I am about to pick up my set tomorrow and I need to know if the $24.99 MediaNet unlimited is what I need to activiate or the PDA unlimited plan (which is not listed on any cingular site??).
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurora
    I was able to squeeze into the $19.99 MediaWorks unlimited.....is that the same as MediaNet? Will I get all of the same features, speed, etc? I know its not Edge...but...??? Very confused about what Cingular is doing??
    MEdia Works is (or was) a superset of MEdia Net. Apparently MEdia Works either no longer exists or is not the same as what it used to be. When I switched from ATT to Cingular in Nov., I got MEdia Works which is unlimited data (GPRS/EDGE) plus 1000 SMS and 250 MMS (I think) for $19.99/mo. Now the unlimited plan is $25 and does not included SMS or MMS from what I've heard.

The $19.99 plan is now 3MB, which is certainly not enough for a Treo user. I clock in most pages I visit in the 200KB range (with pictures turned on). That combined with the amount of SSH, AIM and emailing I do on a daily basis means I'd blow past 3MB in a matter of minutes.

Get the $24.99 unlimited plan.
    So what is this PDA unlimited plan from Cingular I been hearing about for $39.99?? Even though I never saw this addition on any of the cingular website or Data plan?? Is the MediaNet Unlimited for $24.99 all I need for my Treo 650??
    Quote Originally Posted by shlin220
    So what is this PDA unlimited plan from Cingular I been hearing about for $39.99?? Even though I never saw this addition on any of the cingular website or Data plan?? Is the MediaNet Unlimited for $24.99 all I need for my Treo 650??
    Pretty much. They just want more of your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalelrojin
    I called Cingular and they said this is not a known issue. Do you have any kind of link or something to show validity to this? The only reboots I have really had are when I have been trying use some 3rd party apps. I have a Gemplus 64K card.
    I don't have a link but I know it is a fact and that stores have received emails and documentation explaining the problem. If you have the gemplus SIM and are having issues, get it replaced. You may have to soft, or hard reset after the change if the problem does not go away.
    Treo 650 GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast