Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For all you T-mobile Treo 600 users, what are you going to do?

Are you going to get the 650 or just skip this model?

I've waited long enough for the T-mobile Treo 650 to be released that I almost think it might be better to wait a few more months for the Treo 700 at this point.

I've been using the Treo 600 for exactly 12 months (got it as soon as T-mobile released it). It's great, and I wanted to get a Treo for my wife. I was hoping to upgrade to the 650 and give her my 600, but I may just forget the T-mobile 650 now. I know I could get a Cingular GSM unlocked, but I've been hearing too many problems with those.

When are the rumors of the next Treo 700 going to come out to make the 650 obsolete?
    Got it already. Went with an unlocked P1 GSM.

Couldn't be happier with it.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I went with the unlocked 650 as well on T-Mo. It is great and I have no regrets...
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    As a TMo Treo 600 user my thoughts are these: TMo obviously is dragging its heels over the 650 and has announced no intentions as of yet to support the 650. Why? Anyones's guess. Maybe it's that they know a 700 is forthcoming, maybe they see flaws in the 650 or maybe they're typically behind the curve as they are in so many other ways.

I personally plan to skip the 650- although I love the feel & screen look- and wait for what's around the curve. That is, unless TMo gets on the wagon and makes a financially attractive offering of the 650. My 600 works fine 11.5 months into its use. Yikes! That makes me a minority on this board: still using the "old" Treo and still on my original one.
    i actually skipped the 600 way back b/c of no bluetooth and unimpressive screen, even though I was on the announcement emails and all that. I got the GSM unlocked 650 for the original price, b/c that was the phone I was expecting when the 600 arrived on the market. t-mo customer service is top notch, but fast data is important for me as a mobile professional. my contract ends in may and if 1) they can't give me a timeline for EDGE rollout or it's a year away at that point, plus 2) Cingular has gotten their act together on the merger, data plan pricing, etc, I'll switch. I mean geez, although it's not really on phones yet, EVDO is available in my area for cryin out loud and trusty 'ol T-Mo still has me sputtering along on GPRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    As a TMo Treo 600 user my thoughts are these: TMo obviously is dragging its heels over the 650 and has announced no intentions as of yet to support the 650. Why? Anyones's guess. Maybe it's that they know a 700 is forthcoming, maybe they see flaws in the 650 or maybe they're typically behind the curve as they are in so many other ways.

I personally plan to skip the 650- although I love the feel & screen look- and wait for what's around the curve. That is, unless TMo gets on the wagon and makes a financially attractive offering of the 650. My 600 works fine 11.5 months into its use. Yikes! That makes me a minority on this board: still using the "old" Treo and still on my original one.
    I have T-Mo, and I've had my 600 for almost a year. I think I prefer the 600 to the 650. BT is not important to me. The only "nice-to-have" would be the 320x320 screen. But that also requires more memory, and the memory in the 560 is questionable (not nearly enough RAM). If it had WiFi built in, that might tip the scales. But I'm very happy with my 600.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I was very very very seriously considering jumping to Cingular for the 650. At $350 after rebate online for a new account...coupled with a theoretical sale price between $200-275 on ebay for my unlocked 600, I thought the net price point was attractive for this minor upgrade.

But service plan pricing derailed those thoughts. Specifically the confusion over whether or not Treo's could get the $19.99 Mediaworks plan that included Unlimited Internet and tons of text messages. Everyone I spoke to at Cingular in a store or in person said no, and while i suspected the tactic of calling customer support until you get someone that will add it to your plan would work (as many on the boards were doing), I didn't want to risk it. At currently available plans, I'd have to get the $24.99 Media Net Unlimited and $4.99 200 Txt message plan. That's $7 more a month...and I have no desire to spend more money each and every month when you really do "Get More" (tm) with T-Mo...uh, sorry. : )

But that pretty much killed the thoughts of moving to Cingular. As for when/if T-Mo sells the 650, it will likely depend on what price they're selling it at, what price I could get it at as a customer who's been out of contract for a year and a half, and what price i could sell a used and slightly beaten up 600 on ebay.

Logically, I know should wait for the next-gen even if t-mo does release the 650. I also know logic doesn't often win over my desire for new electronics...
    I skipped the 600, so the 650 is my first Treo. Got the unlocked from P1 and so I'm very happy with it...on Tmo with $2.99 Tzones (grandfathered) and I get the full internet ..can't beat that for a data price plan...and EDGE is coming soon.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    This is exactly my quandry. I actually stopped at a Cingular store last night to take a look at the 650... now I'm sad because I only got my 600 around xmas time (dumb, I know) and the 650 screen is SO much better... and also when I got my 600, I dropped my T-Zones $2.99 grandfathered plan and picked up T-Mo internet $19.99 and then I realized, again, dumb! I do like my 600, but it bugs me that the 650 is out there now, with a better screen, camera, and bluetooth! But I can't see myself spending $699 (is that what an unlocked 650 goes for still?) for a better screen....
    Greetings,
    Please don't flame me, this is just more 2nd hand info. "I have a friend" (yes I know how ridiculous that sounds, but it's true, and no I'm not giving up his name, I'd like to keep him as a friend) who is a regional retail mgr. He gave me 2 hints of hope:

1. T-Mo will have EDGE this year...sometime (best he could offer). They are dragging their heels to see just how popular it is for Cingular. If they see enough demand (beyond us bleeding edgers) they will roll it out, but the price for data WILL go up, rest assured. When EDGE hits, we will probably say goodbye to $19.95 unlimited (again, 2nd hand info, take it how you want, but it does make sense to me)

2. T-Mo knows about the problems with the 650 and is letting all the other "deal with the issues" before it takes on this product. (Plus Cingular does have an agreement to be the only GSM vendor for a while) They figure if enough pressure is put on Palm by others, they will fix known issues before T-Mo has to support it. From a vendor perspective, I can completely agree with that, but from a T-Mo user, it stinks, I know. Go get the unlocked one if you want it that badly. I know I will be as soon as the IRS gets me my check.

Also, I chided him something fierce about the T-zones crack down, and his response was "You're complaining about something going away that you shouldn't have had in the first place. You knew it was a work around, it just took us awhile to catch up with it." Again, from the vendor, it makes sense, but from those of us using it....<insert moderator deleting expletive here>!!!

Ah well. I'll be watching here for all the other work arounds.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  11.    #11  
    For the past Treo releases, I think they come out in the Fall....something like November.

If Cingular has a contract to be the only GSM Treo 650 vendor for a while, T-mobile probably won't have it until the summer. By then there will only be a few months until the next Treo comes out. Nobody wants to be stuck with obsolete equipment, so maybe T-Mobile won't do it. I think they got stuck with too many Treo 270s 2 years ago.

I don't think T-Mobile will have a great deal on the 650 when/if it's released by them. It'll probably be priced at $400-$600 just like the others.

I envy all you T-mobile users with the unlocked 650, but I think I'll skip this one and wait for the Treo with wifi. Maybe by then I will have switched vendors.
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    Using unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile, works fine. Even if T-Mobile offered the 650 I'd only buy from them if the unlocked wasn't available.

I'm waiting to see what they are going to do about EDGE. If I don't see something in the next couple of months at least showing a time table, I might consider moving to the Cingular. I'd rather stay with T-Mobile I have no complaints with them, but their strategy of providing high-speed access via Wifi instead of moving out newer mobile technologies is really missing the mark.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Checking the board, I see in this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64490 that Shadowmite has found PalmOne's WiFi drivers tucked away in the GSM Treo650 ROM. If he gets them working - like he re-enabled DUN - I may have to reconsider and go for a 650.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atnight
    i actually skipped the 600 way back b/c of no bluetooth and unimpressive screen, even though I was on the announcement emails and all that. I got the GSM unlocked 650 for the original price, b/c that was the phone I was expecting when the 600 arrived on the market. t-mo customer service is top notch, but fast data is important for me as a mobile professional. my contract ends in may and if 1) they can't give me a timeline for EDGE rollout or it's a year away at that point, plus 2) Cingular has gotten their act together on the merger, data plan pricing, etc, I'll switch. I mean geez, although it's not really on phones yet, EVDO is available in my area for cryin out loud and trusty 'ol T-Mo still has me sputtering along on GPRS.
    According to what I've read on this forum, T-Mo is supposed to implement EDGE sooner than Cingular. Here in NYC, where Cingular is leasing T-Mo's towers, Cingular won't fully implement EDGE until the merger completes.
    I guess I went bust. I went ahead and bought a 600 through T-Mobile. I guess there are a couple of reasons why I did that.

• My current phone (Nokia 3650) is almost dead.
    • T-Mobile doesn't have the 650 yet. . .
    • . . . and I can't afford the full price on the 650.
    • The 650 still has heaps of problems. That's not to say the 600 is perfect yet, but I'd like the least number of problems possible.

Even though my 3650 has BT, I probably won't miss it much. Right now, I only use it to sync my phone with my Mac, which I'll be able to do with the USB cable. I will miss the high-res screen, but given that I'm a grad student, beggars can't be choosers. The plain old 160 x 160 will suit me just fine. And on the positive side, I'm moving from a 3650 to a Treo! That means a full QWERTY keyboard and the Palm OS! Series 60 has really been pissing me off with its limitations. It does the phone part really well and syncing with my Mac is awesome, but everything else is just sort of ho-hum.

So I guess in some people's minds, I'm settling. In mine, I'm making a huge upgrade. And it should be here any day now!
    i have an unlocked treo 650 on tmobile with the 2.99 grandfathered in california. I'm receiving EDGE speeds of around 100-120 with the workaround in most areas. can't be too disappointed about that
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I am amazed by how much more it would cost for service if I switched to Cingular from T-Mobile. My current total is $73.96 per month, with 1,000 minutes (unlimited nights and weekends), unlimited text, unlimited Internet, and insurance. If I switch to Cingular to get the 650 now it will cost me at least $94 per month and my sms will be limited to 1,000 (instead of the unlimited which I have and use now), I'd pay $20 mere per month for 100 fewer minutes, and I wouldn't even be able to get insurance, at all. If I actually matched all of my current services, and they didn't let me slip by with the $24 data plan, I'd have to pay over $110 per month.

I want Edge service, but that is simply to much of a premium for it. I think I'd be happy with Sprint instead.
    I really wasn't interested in the 650 until I got my Acura TL. The Acura supports Bluetooth phones, and oh what a joy it would be have hi-res and the ability to leave the phone in my pocket when driving.

What's stopping me now is the price tag, and that my Treo 600 is working flawlessly.

Must be strong...
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Wait a minute... what does it mean that "the Acura supports Bluetooth phones"? I was considering a TL in the near future and altho I now have a 600, what can you do with a 650 and a TL?
    Tks,

Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    I really wasn't interested in the 650 until I got my Acura TL. The Acura supports Bluetooth phones, and oh what a joy it would be have hi-res and the ability to leave the phone in my pocket when driving.

What's stopping me now is the price tag, and that my Treo 600 is working flawlessly.

Must be strong...
    The Acura TL has Hands Free Link (HFL) that lets you call and receive calls from your Bluetooth enabled cell phone without taking the phone out of your pocket.

See
    http://www.acura.com/models/model_co....asp?module=tl
    and
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=Acura
    for more information.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast