1.    #1  
    Okay, I finally have my unlocked t650 and am happy as a clam, with the possible exception that I'm not getting EDGE speeds (I'm generally getting around 50kbits/sec.) Cingular does not seem to have an EDGE coverage map available, however I did find this map which supposedly gives former AT&T wireless EDGE coverage. According to that map, I should have EDGE.

My current theory is that all of Cingular's EDGE coverage came when they bought AT&T wireless (can anyone give a guess on the validity of this?) and that therefore the reason why I am not seeing EDGE speeds is because I have an old SIM card and am therefore only seeing the Cingular Orange towers, not the Blue ones.

Does this sound reasonable? I'd be curious to know if anyone has an old Cingular SIM and is getting EDGE speeds. In the meanwhile I'm going to see about getting a 64k SIM...
    I'm not getting EDGE speeds where I live and I'm using an orange 64K SIM card. I don't think that is the issue, but rather if EDGE is active in your area or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyo
    Okay, I finally have my unlocked t650 and am happy as a clam, with the possible exception that I'm not getting EDGE speeds (I'm generally getting around 50kbits/sec.) Cingular does not seem to have an EDGE coverage map available, however I did find this map which supposedly gives former AT&T wireless EDGE coverage. According to that map, I should have EDGE.

My current theory is that all of Cingular's EDGE coverage came when they bought AT&T wireless (can anyone give a guess on the validity of this?) and that therefore the reason why I am not seeing EDGE speeds is because I have an old SIM card and am therefore only seeing the Cingular Orange towers, not the Blue ones.

Does this sound reasonable? I'd be curious to know if anyone has an old Cingular SIM and is getting EDGE speeds. In the meanwhile I'm going to see about getting a 64k SIM...
    joeyo - that isn't right. Cingular had EDGE before buying ATTWS. That is not to say they had it in your market. What market are you in BTW? Some Cingular coverage areas are not even Cingular at all, but T-Mobile networks they are leasing access too, for example New York City.

I could explain how all the SIMs work etc. but i have already done this in mnay other threads as have other people. Why not do a search? A very breif explination - you will not use Blue towers when your phone can pick up it's home network, only when it can not find it's home at all will it move over to Blue. That is talking about your SIM.
    Treo 650 GSM