1.    #1  
    I haven't been able to get a clear indication to what the limitations are on a Cingular MediaNet data package. I realize that the latest/current one available is the $25 for unlimited data. The Cingular website specifically states that ...

"Can I access every site on the Web?
    No, the microbrowser in the Internet-enabled phones can only access sites that are in WML (Wireless Markup Language) format. If you enter an HTML or HDML address, you will receive an error message on your phone's screen."

Please to advise your experience with the MediaNet (site limits, edge connection, VPN capability, etc.).

Both my wife and I are eager get the 650, so it does make quite a difference in monthly charge (2x$39.99 versus 2x$24.99). Thanks in advance for your feedback - much appreciated!

Martin
    well that quote is talking about regular cell phones that don't have an html browser. I have a treo 650 that I got with the 19.99 unlimited MW plan and I can go to any site i want.
    I have had for 6 months now, Media Works which is now MEdia Net and accesses all websites, no problem.
    Either buy the plan on the net or if you go to the store ask fro no data plan. They will not sell you Media net in the store. If you need to you can add it by phone when you get home.
  4.    #4  
    Excellent news ... I may just be visiting the local Cingular store tomorrow. Thanks for the info!!
    Note that with the new MEdia Net unlimited for $24.99 you get unlimited web, but no SMS or MM message allowance. This officially began yesterday.
    The trick is to try and find a way to sign up for the old MEdia Works $19.99 plan. This gives you UNlimited data, and a big bucket of SMS and some MMS. Basically any Cingular data plan should work on your Treo.
    There is a $2.99 plan for 100 SMS messages...not sure about MMS. Also, check to see if your employer has Cingular as a preferred service. I get 15% off services and 45% off equipment (wish I knew this BEFORE I bought my T650).
    Older phones have WAP/WML (instead of HTTP/HTML) browsers and can't display "real" websites. My Nokia 6820 is able to display HTML pages via Cingular, though. My Treo 600 can access almost every site I throw it at. Mind you, with those that don't work the problem is javascript / DHTML 99% of the time - web features which are not easy to implement on a cell phone.

So, yeah, gmail.com and maps.google.com will not work on cell phones for quite some time. Same goes for Java applets and Flash most likely. But regular web pages you should not have trouble with. The included Blazer browser on my T600 is quite impressive, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    So, yeah, gmail.com and maps.google.com will not work on cell phones for quite some time.
    That's a bummer. I came to this site 'cause I'm thinking about getting a 650. One of the main things I wanted mobile internet for was for the maps while I'm away from a computer.
    the treo 650 supports EDGE technology, with the mediaNet service, do u get the same speeds as you would if u purchased the more expensive ripoff plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Either buy the plan on the net or if you go to the store ask fro no data plan. They will not sell you Media net in the store. If you need to you can add it by phone when you get home.
    Some stores will. Mine did and the manager said they only offer the $24.95 to new Treo buyers. Also, I activated the old 19.99 unlimited plan about 10 days after it officially ended (and confirmed I have it by calling CS/ checking first bill). I don't know if you'd still be able to pull this off, though.
    No, the chances of getting the $19.99 unlimited MEdia Works is very slim now. I think there was a grace period left in the system to acommodate some customers.
    I just got my Treo 650 through Cingular. I am confused on which plan I need, mainly between Media Net Ulimited and Media Works. When syncing with Exchange server, is that using anything besides data, like a message. If it doesnt use a message, wouldn't I just need Media Unlimited? I dont care about sending text messages or video messages. I tried calling Cingular, but since the girl didnt know what a Treo was, I hung up. What plan do you guys have?
    Before I buy the Treo 650, I called a friend of mine that is a rep in Cingular. I wanted to change my plan to Media Works (19.99 unlimited) 'cause I have a Samsung E317. I told her that the plan change on Mid February. She spoke with her Store Manager and the answer was that she need more info on the plan to change it. That if I know someone that has the plan, call her and give her that someone phone number. This is to see what's exactly in the plan. Did I missed something here? Well, I sent her the Image of the plan in this forum. She told me it's easier having a phone no of someone with the plan.

Can someone help me outhere?

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I have had for 6 months now, Media Works which is now MEdia Net and accesses all websites, no problem.
    Just curious, how many kb or mb do you average a month and how much access do you get average?
    is it the same with att mmode? i heard mmode only views wap sites