View Poll Results: If you have a Treo 650 on Cingular, are you experiencing the "voicemail number" bug?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • My voicemail works fine. (and I've had my Treo 650 on Cingular for more than 48 hours)

8 40.00%
  • What the..?! My voicemail number keeps changing randomly!

12 60.00%
  1.    #1  
    It seems a lot of us Treo 650's are having a problem with our Cingular voicemail number randomly changing to some random string of numbers/symbols every few hours. The purpose of this thread is to help find a solution or workaround, since we probably won't get one from Cingular/PalmOne for awhile.

What (apparently) Doesn't Work
    Getting a new phone. (other posts indicate it still happens)
    Getting a new SIM. (some people don't have this issue using and old SIM)
    Changing the number for the Voicemail favorite. (If you are able to change it, it'll simply be reset in a few hours on the next network update.)

Workarounds
    Manually assigning a NEW favorite to your voicemail number (and specifying the extra digits to dial for login). I believe that customers in all states can call their own number and press * to hear their voicemail. Is there anyone that this does not work for?

If you use this method then you CANNOT check voicemail any other way. No choosing the icon, no tapping the button on alerts. Someone mentioned assigning it to a hotkey (such as V) for quick access. You can also move the default voicemail button to the last page of favorites.

Please post any better workaround or any USEFUL information from Cingular or PalmOne. Someone screwed up... big.
    Last edited by casonbang; 02/13/2005 at 10:10 PM. Reason: some with an old SIM don't have the issue
    Quote Originally Posted by casonbang
    In Texas, my voicemail number is the same as my phone number. Can anyone confirm if this is true in all states?
    I'm in San Jose, CA and my voice mail number is NOT the same as my phone number, although my own phone number will work as well.
    To get the correct voicemail number, you can simply call Cingular and ask them what the right voicemail number should be for your auto dial "1" voicemail key should be on the phone. They can look it up and tell you. Simply say that some known problem with the phone scrambled it and you need to re-program it and need the right number. I had to go through this when Cingular programed the incorrect voicemail number in to my SIM when I did my port. I had to call them and get the right one.

Well this sucks, I'm getting my new Treo 650 unlocked tomorrow for use on Cingular. I don't have this problem with my 600 so it'll be a drag if it does happen on my 650. We'll see and I'll post my results if I do or don't have the problem.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    My voicemail has worked fine since I got it at Cingular corp store; right access # and no resets. I am using my old 32k sim. The tech at the store really knows his stuff, and did put my sim and battery in the phone before I left; also mumbled something about setting voicemail#, but I'm not sure what he did.
    after one week with the voicemail issue, 100 soft resets, 20 hard resets, removing all software except the default stuff, 2 new treos, 2 new sims cards, 4 support reps on the phone, nemerous store visits, and finally trial and error reboots. today is my first day with voicemail. here is how I do it.
    1. turn off the phone . red button.
    2. sometimes it will ask me do I want to connect to the internet. if I answer yes I get a sims card error. so I answer no and the phone turns off.
    3. here is what I do next. I press the voicemail shortcut.
    4. it will ask if I want to turn the phone on.
    5 now my voice mail number appears amd dials. as soon as the hold button appears I dissconnect. the number will now stay in my shortcut. I think the first time I did this yesterday I had to type my number in as the field in my shortcut was blank.
    6. if I hang up to soon or wait to long. the 000000will reappear.

crazy I know but it is the only thing that seems to work.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    calvins.

That sucks.

I don't have the voicemail issue, but massive amounts of resets, especially if either of the phone buttons are pressed, on a completely hard-reset, non-synced, non-SD-card, non-installed-third-party-apps phone. So I think it's a new bug, or a separate one (mine.) sigh.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    5 now my voice mail number appears amd dials.
    If I do this, I get the Cingular splat, then a blank white screen, then 15 seconds later a network error. I found out that I need to manually edit the number before turning off the radio. (It was dialing the old ""#2#2...")

I'll update this post if/when it scrambles again. I don't have much hope of anything working short of a firmware update.
    I have noticed that this happens to me more frequently as I change service areas every 2 hrs and turn my phone on and off every time I arrive and depart a new city (as as airline pilot). I also notice less resets in my home area vs distant markets. What can be done? Any more ideas?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    after one week with the voicemail issue, 100 soft resets, 20 hard resets, removing all software except the default stuff, 2 new treos, 2 new sims cards, 4 support reps on the phone, nemerous store visits, and finally trial and error reboots. today is my first day with voicemail. here is how I do it.
    1. turn off the phone . red button.
    2. sometimes it will ask me do I want to connect to the internet. if I answer yes I get a sims card error. so I answer no and the phone turns off.
    3. here is what I do next. I press the voicemail shortcut.
    4. it will ask if I want to turn the phone on.
    5 now my voice mail number appears amd dials. as soon as the hold button appears I dissconnect. the number will now stay in my shortcut. I think the first time I did this yesterday I had to type my number in as the field in my shortcut was blank.
    6. if I hang up to soon or wait to long. the 000000will reappear.

crazy I know but it is the only thing that seems to work.

Thank you! I think you solved my problem. Got my voicemail button back.
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    I was on a hard reset, non sync phone, and I was getting constant resets. that is when I got T2. but here is my humble opinion. if you are able to get the system to set your voice mail number in the short cut the treo will work fine. if you have a bad shortcut then your phone has not connected to the network properly and your in reset hell or perigotory as I was by trial and error able to ascend to a completely reset free day. and what a wonderdul date it was. chatter mail push emails, phone converstions lasting more that 2 seconds. I love my treo. I think I may start adding software now. or maybe I will count my blessings and keep my 20 free megs.
    I posted the answer on the buggy thread. You need to call custy service, explain the predicament nicely and that many others are having the problem. With level two or tier two tech support ask them to check the option that does not push the voicemail number through the network.

When they do that, cycle the phone and enter your voicemail number in manually into position number one and it will work perfectly. I did it, works perfectly now.

Understand I had voicemail issue on two phones, fixed both, I had constant resets on one, and I had to exchange it. After excahnge perfect.
    No problems for me, but I did happen to talk to Cingular tech support and they have had a LOT of calls on this issue and no good fix in sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    No problems for me, but I did happen to talk to Cingular tech support and they have had a LOT of calls on this issue and no good fix in sight.
    well, i got them to fix mine (2 phones) and I told MVT what to do and they fixed his. So I can't agree with you.