Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In new york at least, on the web site, pick the treo and...

Media Net - Unlimited $24.99
    Last edited by evildead; 02/11/2005 at 08:03 PM.
    Cingular started this plan today, nationwide. No more unlimited MEdia Works. The $19.99 MEdia Net has 3 MB web limit.

Because I ported a sprint number into my phone they reverted my MEdia Works to 3 MB. After having fits with CS and escalations they decided to put back my unlimited MW, and give me two months free + 100 voice minutes credit. Not bad deal for losing your temper and threatening to leave
    I'm sick of Cingular already. As of today, their website doesn't even list a $19.99/month MEdia Works kit as an option for the Treo 650. It DOES list a $19.99/month MEdia Net kit at 8MB/month, and a $24.99/month MEdia Net kit for unlimited data access; but they don't seem to apply to the Treo 650, either. Worse still, they don't list this mythical $39.99/month (or $49.99/month, or whatever they're listing it as now) PDA Data kit plan that all of the stores seem to be insisting upon. Why does palmOne's website still list the $19.99/month unlimited data MEdia Works kit plan? It's enough to make me pull my hair out.

I found this out after I signed up for a two-year contract this afternoon with Cingular. I ordered it with a simple (free) Samsung X427M phone, with the idea that I would switch to an unlocked Treo 650 (or hell, even a Cingular Treo 650, if I can unlock it down the line) when they were in stock. But now that it looks like I'll have to pay $50/month for unlimited data, I can't exactly threaten to switch carriers if they don't give me the $20/month MEdia Works kit that they were listing just a day or so ago. I'm locked into a two-year contract already! Help, help, what do I do?
    Well, I've had my MEdia Works unlimited with my Nokia 6820 for a while now. Hopefully I can just call them up and swap the IMEI numbers when my Treo arrives and they'll be none-the-wiser. Though, I don't mind paying $5 extra per month for unlimited.
  5.    #5  
    why would you have to pay $50? the unlimited is now $25. I'm pretty sure the data plans have nothing to do with your contract, you should be able to add, cancel or switch data plans whenever you wish. But thats speculation on my part.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    Well, I've had my MEdia Works unlimited with my Nokia 6820 for a while now. Hopefully I can just call them up and swap the IMEI numbers when my Treo arrives and they'll be none-the-wiser. Though, I don't mind paying $5 extra per month for unlimited.
    Be careful, when anything changes in your account (porting a number, voice plan change, etc) they automatically kick you to the limited version of MEdia Works. They don't care how long you've had it.

I had to call back twice today to confirm that I was still on the ME unlimited, and it turned out my fears were valis, as they did revert me back to 3MB. The final outcome was good, but only because I felt they would do this and followed through by raising hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTroll
    Worse still, they don't list this mythical $39.99/month (or $49.99/month, or whatever they're listing it as now) PDA Data kit plan that all of the stores seem to be insisting upon.
    I got the 39.99 PDA unlimited plan that a store gave to me and they had this paper stating all the stuff that it gave you. but i also got it month to month so if people start seeing that the the new 25 plan is good enough i will switch.

I guess we all really have to wait until our bills come in for the first month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    You are GSM, you don't have to call them, you don't have to give them you IMEI number. You just put the sim in.
    Bought my T600 in August. Went into the Cingular Store (owned and operated by Cingular), picked up my T650. He gave it to me for $450 as a upgrade unit. I had to switch my phone to another account, but he was able to keep the Media Works package. Now all I have to do is swap my SIM into my T650 and I'm ready to go with Unlimited Internet...

Best thing to do is go into an owned and operated store to actually determine what you can and can't do instead of making calls. The store reps at my local owned and operated Cingular Store in San Ramon, CA really know their stuff.
    This is just f@cking great. I'm a Sprint customer who decides to switch to GSM. I wait FOUR MONTHS for the unlocked to come out. I comb these boards obsessively to get the low-down on MediaWorks. EVERYONE assures me you can get it, no problem, swap a SIM if you have to. I go to the local Cingular store and grill them, same deal, they assure me I can get it with a Treo, no problem.

Then, ON THE SAME F#CKING DAY MY UNLOCKED SHIPS, they change the plans. So what choice do I have? What do I do? Do I keep my Sprint Vision Unlimited at $10/mo and go buy a Sprint 650 THAT I COULD HAVE BOUGHT FOUR F%CKING MONTHS AGO? Do I switch to T-mobile, with their dinosaur-data service? Do I go into a Cingular store and scream at them until they give me what I want or I get arrested?

Oh by the way, they also dropped the minutes in the $29.99 cheap plan (the one I was planning to get) from 250 to 200 minutes.

And I'm disappointed in the TC community. This issue has been discussed for years it seems, and whenever someone raised a concern about Cingular's ambiguous policies, they would get shouted down with all-caps, ****-sure pronouncements that MEDIAWORKS UNLIMITED AT $19.99 IS AVAILABLE FOR THE TREO AND WILL BE FOREVER AND EVER. I f*cking knew this was going to happen.

Sorry for all the cussing but it's the only thing that makes me feel better.

If anyone has any advice, I promise not to scream at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    This is just f@cking great. I'm a Sprint customer who decides to switch to GSM. I wait FOUR MONTHS for the unlocked to come out. I comb these boards obsessively to get the low-down on MediaWorks. EVERYONE assures me you can get it, no problem, swap a SIM if you have to. I go to the local Cingular store and grill them, same deal, they assure me I can get it with a Treo, no problem.

Then, ON THE SAME F#CKING DAY MY UNLOCKED SHIPS, they change the plans. So what choice do I have? What do I do?

You can get MEdia Works, the price and name have change it is $25 instead of $20. It was posted what to do, go down and buy another phone from cingular are return it.

I am not being rude but the main argument was with the idiots who kept proclaiming:
    Data with Cingular is $80 (No it was $20, now is $25)
    Media Works does not support EDGE (Yes, it does)
    Edge speeds will never match Sprints (No, They surpass)

People warned Media Works was changing price, many including I proclaimed signing with Cingular and returning the phone when 650 arrived.
    Advice: $5 month, Suck it up.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=20

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...60&postcount=6

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=973
    Repeating what I said in other threads:

MEdia Works now has 3MB limit-------$19.99. Forget it.
    MEdia Net Unlimited: $24.99
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Repeating what I said in other threads:

MEdia Works now has 3MB limit-------$19.99. Forget it.
    MEdia Net Unlimited: $24.99
    Right, but the problem is that Cingular is refusing to sell me the MEdia Net Unlimited package for a Treo 650. Instead they're insisting that I need to buy the PDA Data kit instead, at whatever ridiculous price that is ($39.99 or $49.99). So that's the problem -- I may understand that MEdia Net Unlimited can work for me, but they sure as hell don't want to give it to me.
  14.    #14  
    well tell them to look at their own web site...
    Last edited by evildead; 02/12/2005 at 06:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    You are GSM, you don't have to call them, you don't have to give them you IMEI number. You just put the sim in.
    Well, the IMEI was for updating my replacement program. But I'm not going to update that with them. I'll just keep the 6820 as my "official" phone and then there's no reason for them to change my plan.
    No one ever said forever. If you got a "free" GSM Cingular phone with mediaworks during those for months, you would still have unlimited data and would only need to move the SIM from one phone to another. The cell phone companies can change their offerings at any time. They do have to honor their contract with you for the life of the contract.

Than said, it is clear that these changes are not customer friendly and an example of the loss of competition with the merger...

Quote Originally Posted by swingline

Then, ON THE SAME F#CKING DAY MY UNLOCKED SHIPS, they change the plans. So what choice do I have? What do I do? Do I keep my Sprint Vision Unlimited at $10/mo and go buy a Sprint 650 THAT I COULD HAVE BOUGHT FOUR F%CKING MONTHS AGO? Do I switch to T-mobile, with their dinosaur-data service? Do I go into a Cingular store and scream at them until they give me what I want or I get arrested?

Oh by the way, they also dropped the minutes in the $29.99 cheap plan (the one I was planning to get) from 250 to 200 minutes.

And I'm disappointed in the TC community. This issue has been discussed for years it seems, and whenever someone raised a concern about Cingular's ambiguous policies, they would get shouted down with all-caps, ****-sure pronouncements that MEDIAWORKS UNLIMITED AT $19.99 IS AVAILABLE FOR THE TREO AND WILL BE FOREVER AND EVER. I f*cking knew this was going to happen.

Sorry for all the cussing but it's the only thing that makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by JTroll
    Right, but the problem is that Cingular is refusing to sell me the MEdia Net Unlimited package for a Treo 650. Instead they're insisting that I need to buy the PDA Data kit instead, at whatever ridiculous price that is ($39.99 or $49.99). So that's the problem -- I may understand that MEdia Net Unlimited can work for me, but they sure as hell don't want to give it to me.
    I don't know if you have the phone yet or not, if you don't, don't say anything while they are ringing you up. They will ask you which phone plan you want say, whatever $39.99. When they ask you about data say I don't want data right now, I am going to decide later which plan is best for me and ask for a brochure. If they say there is only one plan, say I don't want data, thank you.
    I bought 2 phones last week and neither questioned me about not having data.

Ok, I sympathsize. Do you have friends with a Cingular phone, or a Cingular phone that is not a Treo?
    Go home wait a day and call 611 and ask to have MEdia works installed, if they know you have a Treo and try to force PDA plan, say no thank you and say bye. Get anothr Cingular phone, put the sim in, call them up and ask for MEdia works again or whatever the new one is called. If they ask you about the Treo, say you returned it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    " I can't exactly threaten to switch carriers if they don't give me the $20/month MEdia Works kit that they were listing just a day or so ago. I'm locked into a two-year contract already! Help, help, what do I do?"

You have 30 days to walk away without paying the ETF. And remember: the contract is tied to the voice plan, NOT the data plan.
    - pc
    What cglaguna said works well with Cingular GSM devices. There is no need to be open and honest with them, as they themsleves are not. I often criticized him and others for that tecnique, but after joining Cingular I understand completely why we can't be honest with Cingular.

So do what he says and save your sanity.
    So I had MEdia Works unlimited before the switch. My plan still says MEdia Works for $19.99, but there are no details other than it does say "wireless internet express-- $0.00" as before.

Does anyone know for sure whether I keep my unlimited internet under MEdia Works as long as nothing changes on my plan, or am I now limited to 3mb. I can call Cingular, but I was curious what results other people are getting. I would hate to get my bill and owe an extra $30 because of overage after 3mb... Can they even do that w/o notifying the customer? I wouldn't be surprised if there was small print somewhere saying they can, but haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the help...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast