Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 401
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

    With all the discussion about the outrageous costs associated with the factory unlocked Treo 650, ($799 according to the sales reps. at palmone.com), I thought everyone would like to know how to get an unlocked phone for much cheaper.

    According to Cingular customer service, the Cingular branded Treo 650 CAN be unlocked if you meet the following criterion:

    1) You must have an account in good standing with Cingular
    2) Your account must be three months or older
    3) You must call customer service and specifically request they provide the unlock code and sequence

    The rep. I spoke to last night said they, being Cingular, has to request the unlock code directly from palmone.com which takes roughly 3-5 business days. Once they have the code they can call you and walk you through the unlock process.

    I'm waiting to hear back from the Cingular rep sometime today or tomorrow. Once I do I'll post an update with the information they provide.

    P.S. I tried the unlock code posted on some of the other sites and it DOES NOT work with my Cingular branded Treo 650!
  2. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #2  
    Is that documented somewhere?

    Regardless, it is cool to know it is possible. However, if there is something that generates a code from the IMEI number or whatever it was, I'm sure some brilliant hacker should be able to figure out how to create that code. Just thoughts anyway.
  3. #3  
    i can confirm what you've said is true. i too am waiting for a reply back from them with the instructions on the subsidy unlock. i am VERY skeptical of this though, because it is in fact not p1 that has the subsidy unlock code, but rather, cingular. pa1m0ne has nothing to do with the subsidy code. it is by its very definition, a code that only the carrier would be able to provide, as it is the carrier that originally applied the lock to "subsidize" and restrict the device by preventing its use on other wireless networks.
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/10/2005 at 01:39 PM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  4. #4  
    I agree that Cingular, not Palmone, who has the subsidy and SIM unlock codes. Cingular people have no shame when they tell you to go to PalmOne to get your unlock codes. They are just passing the buck and trying to get you frustrated so you give up like I did yesterday when they sent me to Motorola to find my v551 codes.

    I also consider verbal committments from Cingular to be worthless. Each csr will give you a different answer; from "Oh, but they're all unlocked" to "call the manufacturer. We don't have anything to do with lock codes" to "Why not get it unlocked via one of those online people that advertise on eBay?"
  5. #5  
    I agree with Tony... Ive also gotten my Cingular treo 650 unlocked through Cingular's customer service but not without going through hell first. Just to clarify a few things, from what they told me Cingular's policy is not that you must have an account for longer than 90 days but that you must OWN THE DEVICE for longer than 90 days. Which is complete BS if you ask me. But supposedly that is their "new" policy. Secondly, if the customer representative you are speaking to claims that in order to give you the unlock code they must first contact the manufacturer, this is also BS. I was given my unlock code the next day that I requested it. The only reason why they didnt give it to me the same day was because I hadnt used the device yet and therefore it wasnt "communicating" with their network already.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    I agree with Tony... Ive also gotten my Cingular treo 650 unlocked through Cingular's customer service but not without going through hell first. Just to clarify a few things, from what they told me Cingular's policy is not that you must have an account for longer than 90 days but that you must OWN THE DEVICE for longer than 90 days. Which is complete BS if you ask me. But supposedly that is their "new" policy. Secondly, if the customer representative you are speaking to claims that in order to give you the unlock code they must first contact the manufacturer, this is also BS. I was given my unlock code the next day that I requested it. The only reason why they didnt give it to me the same day was because I hadnt used the device yet and therefore it wasnt "communicating" with their network already.
    wait so are you saying that until the phone has registered on their network and has been "used", then they will continue to give me the song and dance?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  7. #7  
    One possible way to get Cingular to unlock your phone is to request cancellation of your service. One CSR told me that yesteray.

    But you're taking a chance if you get a CSR who doesn't give a flying fig whether you cancel. LOL

    I'm hesitating whether to cancel, since I still have enough time in my trial service. My only comfort, if I do cancel, is that Cingular does not have my dream smartphone yet, and GPRS is slower than 1XRTT. I wanted the SX66 but it is not EDGE enabled.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    wait so are you saying that until the phone has registered on their network and has been "used", then they will continue to give me the song and dance?
    My V551 is registered and used on Cingular. I'm getting the song and dance and conflicting answers every time I call Cingular. I was a corporate user for 12 years with Bell South Mobility (former Cingular).
  9. #9  
    Cingular provided me with the subsidy unlock code via email. It works! I tried another SIM card in the phone today. Here are the instructions they provided me. I would provide the code, but it would be useless to all of you as each device has a unique unlock code based on the phone's IMEI.

    To unlock Treo 650
    Press the green Phone button
    Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    Press Dial

    After 10 failed attempts to unlock the Treo, the Treo's power must be recycled to try again.
  10. #10  
    Yes, my rep asked for my imei numbers and is locking both of mine as well.
  11. #11  
    So, only problem would be(to call it somehow) for instance, that, you'd be on a T-Mobile plan with a Treo that says Cingular on it, right?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by teknic88
    So, only problem would be(to call it somehow) for instance, that, you'd be on a T-Mobile plan with a Treo that says Cingular on it, right?
    I am only unlocking to travel through Europe, not to leave Cingular.
  13. #13  
    So, then, is the *only* reason to spend the extra money to get an unlocked one DUN? I mean if I can get one from Cingular for $449 with a commitment vs. $599 for my unlocked one...that $150 covers the cost of my SD card for sure!
  14. #14  
    *#*# <unlock code> is correct. I unlocked a T-Mobile subsidy locked Treo 600 with that procedure in November. I also did the unlock to use foreign SIM cards when travelling.
  15. #15  
    Donít know how true this is (so donít shoot me) but I was talking with a very knowledgeable Tier 3 Cingular rep and she said that it is illegal to lock a phone in the state of California and all I have to do is ask for the phone to be unlocked and by law, they must unlock it right there at the store. This was about four months ago and at that time she actually had a Treo 650 in her hands testing the unit.
  16. #16  
    Hummm....
  17. #17  
    Obviously she wasn't very knowledgeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Donít know how true this is (so donít shoot me) but I was talking with a very knowledgeable Tier 3 Cingular rep and she said that it is illegal to lock a phone in the state of California and all I have to do is ask for the phone to be unlocked and by law, they must unlock it right there at the store. This was about four months ago and at that time she actually had a Treo 650 in her hands testing the unit.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Donít know how true this is (so donít shoot me) but I was talking with a very knowledgeable Tier 3 Cingular rep and she said that it is illegal to lock a phone in the state of California and all I have to do is ask for the phone to be unlocked and by law, they must unlock it right there at the store. This was about four months ago and at that time she actually had a Treo 650 in her hands testing the unit.
    LOL. I live in California, and I had to suffer through their torture before finally submitting a request to the "unlock department." If such law exists then Cingular is in violation.

    Remember, Cingular reps will always invent stories. I've been seeing that for the last week. 5 answers through 5 calls to Cingular, all conflicting, and none was true.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahs
    Cingular provided me with the subsidy unlock code via email. It works! I tried another SIM card in the phone today. Here are the instructions they provided me. I would provide the code, but it would be useless to all of you as each device has a unique unlock code based on the phone's IMEI.

    To unlock Treo 650
    Press the green Phone button
    Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    Press Dial

    After 10 failed attempts to unlock the Treo, the Treo's power must be recycled to try again.
    Whats the possibility if someone knew the IMEI for 2 phones, received the unlock codes for both and compared...couldnt a sort of Unlock code generator be made using the info that was used to unlock both handsets?

    *I'm no expert at code gens but would think this might be possible
  20.    #20  
    **UPDATE** Just got a call back from the Cingular rep. who advised me, as some others have already noted, the unlock proceedure is as follows: (remember this is specific to Cingular in my case)

    1) Insert Cingular SIM card and power up phone by holding down the RED button on the right side of the phone
    2) Tap the GREEN button on the left side of the phone
    3) Type in *#*# then the specific 8 numbers they provide and type # to end
    4) Push the GREEN button again and you should get a message saying the phone is now unlocked

    I can not say with absolute certainty this proceedure works since I'm still inside the US, although I have two additional non-US SIMs, SFR and Virgin UK, and they react the same way now in the 650 as they do in my factory unlocked 600.

    I would imagine that the 8 digits the Cingular rep. gave me are a hash of the IMEI, but I have no way of telling for certain.
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions