Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Called 866-490-2666 today. The rep who answered was very nice, but misinformed, advising they do not provide unlock codes.

I politely corrected her, advising it is done on a routine basis by Cingular. I, again, politely re-requested she investigate the proper procedure and advised that she'll require my IMEI # in order to obtain an 8-digit unlock code. She, then put me on hold, called over to "Tech Support", and within about 5 minutes was back on the phone with an 8-digit unlock code.

I put in the following sequence *#*#<8-digit unlock code>#, then dial-key, and voila...received a window message on the Treo 650 of something like "SIM Unlocked".

I just tried a Swisscom GSM SIM in my Treo 650 and it worked. Immediately received my SMS's from Switzerland. Seems, with my Swisscom #, I am roaming on Cingular in the SF/Bay Area. The Network status flashes back and forth between "Cingular" and "Roaming".

Advice to all: Be patient, be nice, but be firm and resolute. If you have any weight as a longtime AT&T or Cingular customer, use that to your advantage.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by guncollector; 04/18/2005 at 05:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    Called 866-490-2666 today. The rep who answered was very nice, but misinformed, advising they do not provide unlock codes.

I politely corrected her, advising it is done on a routine basis by Cingular. I, again, politely re-requested she investigate the proper procedure and advised that she'll require my IMEI # in order to obtain an 8-digit unlock code. She, then put me on hold, called over to "Tech Support", and within about 5 minutes was back on the phone with an 8-digit unlock code.

I had nearly the exact experience this morning! Only difference was a couple of hours later, a Cingular rep called and left me a message saying that my unlock code was ready and that I should call them to get the code and procedure. I, of course, didn't call since my phone is unlocked now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    Oh, sorry. I meant that for information purpose only. I doubted that I could find the code on 1 try.

That was for others whom are wondering why, after punching in a code, did it tell them wrongly? And to hopefully find someone who can create a technique (outside of finding a SIM) to confirm the unlock.

It's kinda funny, though.
    You can call up PalmOne and give them your information and they can tell you if the phone is unlocked. I am not sure, however, if they can tell if the phone HAS BEEN unlocked though. Their information may only pertain to phones BEFORE they were subsidized.
    Can someone help me? I just tried to unlock my phone with these steps:
    To unlock Treo 650
    Press the green Phone button
    Enter *#*#12345678#
    Press Dial

After i pushed Dial i Got the message The Sim Phone Lock Has Been Removed.... Is this the unlock message for the phone or the SIM Card?
    Unless you get a real unlock code from Cingular or an unlocking service, your phone is not really unlocked. It will give you the message that it is, but won't work with other providers'SIM cards. 12345678 is not a valid unlock code.
    That's the right message for removing the subsidy lock - the one which ties you to SIMs from a particular provider. However, that message will sometimes appear even if you use an incorrect code! If "12345678" is the actual code you used, then it will not have actually unlocked your phone - you need the 8-digit code that is unique to the combination of your phone's IMEI and the ID of the service provider.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector

I put in the following sequence *#*#<8-digit unlock code>#, then dial-key, and voila...received a window message on the Treo 650 of something like "SIM Unlocked".

I just tried a Swisscom GSM SIM in my Treo 650 and it worked. Immediately received my SMS's from Switzerland. Seems, with my Swisscom #, I am roaming on Cingular in the SF/Bay Area. The Network status flashes back and forth between "Cingular" and "Roaming".

Advice to all: Be patient, be nice, but be firm and resolute. If you have any weight as a longtime AT&T or Cingular customer, use that to your advantage.

Hope that helps!
    AARGH! I'm getting fustrated with this!
    I've called three times and emailed them twice and they absolutely refuse to give me my code.
    Am I asking too much since I just switched to SIN-gular 2 weeks ago?
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Unless you get a real unlock code from Cingular or an unlocking service, your phone is not really unlocked. It will give you the message that it is, but won't work with other providers'SIM cards. 12345678 is not a valid unlock code.

12345678 is just to show how many digits, i wasn't going to post my subsidy number, I signed up on 04-07-05 with Cingular and After my second try calling i got a guy who said i will get an email within 5 to 10 business days, after 10 days i called back and i got another guy, and told him, hey 10 days are up is there a way to do this without the email, he said sure there is, and boooom i got the code but he was not able to tell me how to unlock it, he thought when i get to Europe i just plug in the new Sim and punch in the code, Lucky for treocentral i was able to find the procedure

Dan.
  9. kgw
    I have Cingular Treo 650 locked GSM. I am planning a trip to Czech Republic and possibly Turkey in June. If I get the unlock code from Cingular what else do I need to do to use my phone in Europe? Also how do people in michigan call me on my phone while in Europe? Do they call a different number or the same phone number? do I use a different international call prefix to call back home the the states from europe?

thanks for any help
    Quote Originally Posted by kgw
    I have Cingular Treo 650 locked GSM. I am planning a trip to Czech Republic and possibly Turkey in June. If I get the unlock code from Cingular what else do I need to do to use my phone in Europe? Also how do people in michigan call me on my phone while in Europe? Do they call a different number or the same phone number? do I use a different international call prefix to call back home the the states from europe?
    You don't have to do anything. If you go overseas with your cingular SIM, folks can reach you on your US number wherever you are as long as at least one GSM carrier in the country has an international roaming agreement with Cingular. You can also make outbound calls to the US or within the country, but you will be paying exhorbitant international roaming charges for all incoming and outgoing calls, both local and international.

The beauty of having your phone unlocked is that instead of being at the mercy of Cingular's international roaming wherever you go, you can remove your cingular SIM and replace it with one from a local carrier when you get get there. You will get a local phone number, so folks back home will have to make an international toll call to reach you, and you will pay that carrier's international rates to call back to the US, but those rates will likely still be lower than Cingular's international roaming + international call rate. Plus you can make local calls within that country at their local rates.

Of course, you could combine both methods: when you arrive in Elbonia, you buy a local EboniaComm SIM, then turn on your Treo (still with the Cingular SIM), divert all incoming calls to the Elbonian number, then turn off the phone and swap the SIMs. That way, your clients back here can still call your local number, with the international diversion being charged to your Cingular bill, and you pay Elbonian local rates for the airtime. If you want to call home, just dial +1 and then the US number, and of course local calls within Elbonia only cost Elbonian local rates.

As you can see, unlocking your phone opens up a slew of options that were not previously available. Which you choose is up to you.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I just stop at the first Shell Gas station or any gas station and buy a $25 PrePaid Sim card and use it, I Go to Romania every summer and last summer i got a new number and SIM card 074123470 and i just left it with my Nephew to put more money in it every 300 days or it expires, so this way i keep that number as long as i want with no contracts, also he has people call him on that number and Orange in Europe gives free minutes to the person receiving the call....
    does this work for AT&T customers even though we are now considered "cingular customers"?
    I am a cingular customer (ATT side). I have a 650 that I bought through ATT NBO. The box is cingular branded, but the phone itself has no branding (I am told it is locked to ATT sims only). I would like to migrate over to a cingular plan with roll-over, can I go into a store and have them unlock it? Thanks.

- Gary
    I don't know if the store will unlock the phone, but I am an AT&T Customer and, after several calls, Cingular customer service was able to give me an unlock code.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikasy
    Hey,
    I can unlock your treo 650 GSM based phones. But i charge USD $50.00 per phone and the unlock code is IMEI unlock code. It is specific to your phone and after you punch this 8 digit code (*#*#????????#), your phone will be unlocked and you will be able to use your treo 650 (GSM) on any GSM network worldwide.

Rick
    has anyone try unlocking the treo 650 with this person.

yes? no?
    Cingular has a tutorial on how to input the unlock code

http://tutorials.cingular.com/tutori...=0&tutIndex=20

It's toward the bottom
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJPsycho
    Cingular has a tutorial on how to input the unlock code
    Wrong unlock code - not what is being discussed here.
  18. kgw
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Of course, you could combine both methods: when you arrive in Elbonia, you buy a local EboniaComm SIM, then turn on your Treo (still with the Cingular SIM), divert all incoming calls to the Elbonian number, then turn off the phone and swap the SIMs. That way, your clients back here can still call your local number, with the international diversion being charged to your Cingular bill, and you pay Elbonian local rates for the airtime. If you want to call home, just dial +1 and then the US number, and of course local calls within Elbonia only cost Elbonian local rates.

As you can see, unlocking your phone opens up a slew of options that were not previously available. Which you choose is up to you.
    Ok so I buy a local SIM card in Elbonia and divert calls from my cingular SIM to that phone number. Is that by way of using the international routing codes 011 ... when I route the calls on my SIM card. And once I have the local Elbonia SIM in the phone it would act like a foreign phone so I would have to dial back to the US by way of the long international routing area codes correct??
    Basically correct. You'll use the standard shorthand for international numbers each time, so the forwarding number will be +xxyyyyyyyyyy where xx is the international prefix for Elbonia, and yyyyyyyyyy is your Elbonian number sans any leading zeroes, and your calls to home will use +1zzzzzzzzzz where zzzzzzzzzz is the 10-digit US number. In fact, you can have the 650 automatically add the +1 by selecting that option in the phone's Dialling Preferences dialog.
  20. kgw
    Jetkins
    Thanks for all the help. But why don't I need to use the international prefix for U.S. to call home since I will have the foreign local SIM in the phone at the time?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast