Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I think I'll call them back tomorrow morning and ask for a progress report.
    Called them again today. The tech I spoke with checked the IMEI and found that whoever I spoke with last week did not update the IMEI in my account details. He suspected that the resulting mismatch between the unlock request and the account details prevented the request from being processed.

He updated my account details with the correct IMEI and resubmitted the unlock request, and my unlock code arrived by email within the hour! Now to go home and try my wife's AT&T SIM to verify it worked.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I bought a Cingular-branded Treo 650 to use with my T-Mobile account. I currently have an unlocked Cingular Treo 600 and it's great, but folks with 650s have got me drooling. Bluetooth, screen resolution, and a better camera all convinced me (in about 3 seconds!) to plunk down my $625.

I called Cingular support and they said to fax my receipt showing how much I paid (has to be the full Treo price, not subsidized) along with my contact info and the IMEI number of the 650 and they'd send me the unlock code. I flat-out told them I'm not a Cingular customer but did throw in the little white lie about being "about to go overseas" in 2 days, but they didn't bat an eye and agreed to give me the unlock code with no hassle. The techie said they're processing something like 200 requests per day for unlock codes, and that the manufacturer has the codes, not Cingular. They have to email PalmOne to request it, then PalmOne emails them back with the code. 3-5 business day turnaround from time of request to receipt of code. Sooner in some cases, but still pretty quick. Now lest see it they actually come through with the code, not endless bs stories.
    Last edited by rambo47; 04/07/2005 at 07:17 PM. Reason: grammar
    i'm currently an at&t customer and called the cingular tech support number for the unlock code. i had to call more than once though as the first time they gave me some unlock code based on my mobile number and didn't even ask for the IMEI number. needless to say, the treo 650 said it was unlocked but it really wasn't when i tried a different sim.

i called back this week and got someone else at cingular who immediately starts off by saying we don't give out unlock codes. i politely differed and informed her i had gotten several unlock codes in the past few months from the email address at cingular but at this time they have responded and directed me to call this number due to security reasons. i also stated i had received an unlock code for my mpx220 a few weeks ago so i know they had the information.

as we're on the phone, she goes into another "system" and punches in my mobile number, then my IMEI. that system gave her the unlock code, which she passed on to me. this unlock code worked and my treo is now truly unlocked!

i think if you keep trying as other people have stated and get someone who knows about this "system", you can get it while on the phone.

good luck to all!
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    When people say that the internet carries a wealth of knowledge... it's not necessarily the "informative" stuff that the websites so graciously provides... it's the stories and experiences that the people share that are truly helpful!!![I]

I spent the entire day talking to one less than helpful cingular rep to another and then palm one and then at&t... <sigh>... I was truly worn out. But I spent about and hour this evening reading through this thread and received more helpful information from everyone's experiences than all the google searches on the net.

We purchased a 650 from ebay, which was for AT&T. Thinking that since AT&T was bought by Cingular, then the phone should work with Cingular. Um... yea... hard lesson learned. And to help increase cingular sales, well they won't let you carry your at&t treo to them... they want you to buy one of theirs. Followed some of the steps and stories in the thread and called the product services line and was able to get my unlock code within 5 mins.... over the phone! The guy didn't know what to do with the code once he got it... but hey man, no problem... i'll take it from there... the code will be just fine!!!!!

In short... you people rock!!!! If it wasn't for this thread, I'd still be sitting in aggravation over what to do with this phone, or worse yet... putting it back on ebay to try to recoup the money!!!

After countless of calls (well... if I count it right, I made about 14 calls over 1 month period), I finally got my 8 digit unlocked code by calling 866-490-2666 even with these conditions:
    - I just joined Cingular for 36 days, without prior service with cingular. No need to wait 90 day of service as they say their policy is.
    - I bought the phone with subsidy price ($400) from Cingular store.

The rep asked for my IMEI# and within 5 mins, gave me the code over the ph.
    And yes, I tried my friend's T-mobile SIM card and worked perfectly in my T650

The secret: Keep trying ^_^ you will eventually bumped into a nice rep.
    Last edited by jhawkinca; 04/11/2005 at 01:11 PM.
    (Possibly) dumb question: With an unlocked 650, will a SIM card I buy in Germany allow me access to data services, or is it for phone calls only? Can one buy SIM cards for data access?
    In essence, a SIM merely associates your device with your account. Thus if your German service plan includes data, then yes, you'll get data. I think it's unlikely that a prepaid, bought-at-an-airport-kiosk card will include a data plan, but it's possible. Research (and possibly even purchase) before you leave home.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Thanks for the advice. I was speaking more to the "bought-at-a-kiosk" SIM cards -- will investigate to see if ones with a data plan are available.
    As an AWS Treo 600 customer, I just bought a 650 and had to switch to Cingular. Hoping to unlock my T600 so I could sell it, I called the 866-490-266 number. They referred me to AWS. After a couple of AWS redirects, I finally got ahold of someone at 800-282-3881. That person said they could not get unlock codes for AWS phones. Has anyone else unlocked a Treo 600 for AWS? My AWS Treo 600 has just become yet another expensive paper weight.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by va2004abc
    i'm currently an at&t customer and called the cingular tech support number for the unlock code. i had to call more than once though as the first time they gave me some unlock code based on my mobile number and didn't even ask for the IMEI number. needless to say, the treo 650 said it was unlocked but it really wasn't when i tried a different sim.

i called back this week and got someone else at cingular who immediately starts off by saying we don't give out unlock codes. i politely differed and informed her i had gotten several unlock codes in the past few months from the email address at cingular but at this time they have responded and directed me to call this number due to security reasons. i also stated i had received an unlock code for my mpx220 a few weeks ago so i know they had the information.

as we're on the phone, she goes into another "system" and punches in my mobile number, then my IMEI. that system gave her the unlock code, which she passed on to me. this unlock code worked and my treo is now truly unlocked!

i think if you keep trying as other people have stated and get someone who knows about this "system", you can get it while on the phone.

good luck to all!

what # you call, i have the same sutiation, but they just making excuse, keep saying that it will not work for the att sim card. thanks
    Great info forum here!
    So far I was not lucky getting my Treo 650 unlocked. Heard only BS stories so far.
    I actually got it with a prepaid SIM from Cingular (still subsidized). I wonder if you need to be on a service plan for the CSR to move?
    Any experience with unlocking prepaid cards? Do they do that?
    WorldTraveller (Hmmm...!):
    Data avaialbility does differ, but is not as rare as you'd expect. Here in Turkey (Turkcell) and in Switzerland (Swisscom mobile) the pre-paid SIMs I quickly bought had GPRS all set up, no worries. In Czech (T-Mobile) I could not get GPRS configured, but there was a dial-up number available for data. So in each place I had access to email and web via my Treo 180.
    -mbd26
    Super cool! That's great news mbd26!

Now to call Cingular -- hopefully my expert social engineering skills will pay off. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawkinca
    After countless of calls (well... if I count it right, I made about 14 calls over 1 month period), I finally got my 8 digit unlocked code by calling 866-490-2666 even with these conditions:
    - I just joined Cingular for 36 days, without prior service with cingular. No need to wait 90 day of service as they say their policy is.
    - I bought the phone with subsidy price ($400) from Cingular store.

The rep asked for my IMEI# and within 5 mins, gave me the code over the ph.
    And yes, I tried my friend's T-mobile SIM card and worked perfectly in my T650

The secret: Keep trying ^_^ you will eventually bumped into a nice rep.
    JUST UNLOCKED
    TOO EASY

called the number above, waited for about 5 mins, got my unlock code.

That just boosted the Ebay value of my phone by about 50 bucks. Now to scratch that cingular logo off my phone...

Does it need to be re-unlocked after a hard reset?
    Last edited by juice; 04/13/2005 at 10:39 AM.
    gsmphonesource 03/12/2005 11:03 PM
    yes I agree, too many people just looking for a quick buck. I mainly just unlock the phones I am going to resell, but if someone is really in a jam and needs an unlock code please PM me and ill see what i can do to help
    Hi, I bought a Cingular Treo 650 on eBay, and i noticed your tag on this matter. The problem is, I'm leaving for Europe next week and would like to use the local prepaid SIM card there. I've tried calling the CS line but they did not redirect me to a CSR at all, just beat around the bush. I went to a Cingular Wireless store to have this done, but said that they couldn't help as they do not have the unlocking code. Could you help me on this?? You said you have a friend working in Cingular, so PLEASE?? My IMEI # is 354427000406048. I do not have much time left before I leave but I will keep on trying the methods proposed in this forum. Thank you again.
    Hey,
    I can unlock your treo 650 GSM based phones. But i charge USD $50.00 per phone and the unlock code is IMEI unlock code. It is specific to your phone and after you punch this 8 digit code (*#*#????????#), your phone will be unlocked and you will be able to use your treo 650 (GSM) on any GSM network worldwide.

Iam a verified US paypal business member and if you want your treo 650 to be unlocked then you can send me the payment and your treo 650 IMEI number at my paypal id: vikasy@arches.uga.edu

I promise to unlock your phone, just give me 24-48 hours to get your genuine unlock code. These unlock codes are not easy to get and other places are charging close to 100 dollars atleast to give you these unlock codes.

Iam a college student, i am not looking for too much profit, cause i do this to get extra side income. and I already have the reputation
    in unlocking more then 800 treo 600 GSM based models worldwide and you can check it on other pDA forums.

I guarantee complete satisfaction or i will refund your money completely, Iam here not for quick bucks, i know a repuation in business
    goes a long way and I am here for long term.

Regards,

Rick
    dont use this as a marketplace... also these unlock codes are available for 40$ on ebay....
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Heh, I just punched in some random 8 digit number, and a window popped up that said
    " (!) The SIM Lock has been removed from the phone.
    [OK]"

A confirmation technique would be good.
    Last edited by gbobman; 04/18/2005 at 04:34 PM.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Using a random number reports that the SIM lock is removed but doesn't really work. Try another provider's SIM card and you'll see.

You have to get a number computed from your phone's IMEI and a provider code for the unlocking mechanism to really work.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Oh, sorry. I meant that for information purpose only. I doubted that I could find the code on 1 try.

That was for others whom are wondering why, after punching in a code, did it tell them wrongly? And to hopefully find someone who can create a technique (outside of finding a SIM) to confirm the unlock.

It's kinda funny, though.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.