Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    With all the frustration that I'm seeing over this issue of locked phones, i.e., subsidy locks, it's a wonder that people put up with this sort of crap. I can only assume that folks don't know any better and don't get a chance to find out about it until they've had the phone for a while and need to move, travel or change providers.
    I would also think that these types of marketeering schemes would diminish once enough people caught on to the abuse.
    I know that in the future I won't be buying any more Palm, or other devices with this sort of marketing scheme attached to it. In fact, I'm even thinking about getting away from the major providers (Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile) and going with a local pay as you go type of service because I think the major players have strayed way to far off the path of serving their customers. It seems they're more interested in protecting their own turf.

Personally, I think they should fire all their marketeers and hire some responible, mature adults who care about customers and actually listen to the complaints.
    Due to planning a trip to Europe and wanting to use a prepaid sim card there, I read most of these posts and thought, crap, I'll never get Cingular to provide an unlock code for my Treo 650. I gave it a go anyway and got a nitwit in general customer service who had not a clue what I was talking about. He put me on hold and never came back, at least in the time I was willing to hold. Called back and asked another rep for tech support, with a very brief description of needing an unlock code. After a lengthy hold, I got to a great lady in tech support who, after I explained what I needed, pulled my IMEI number from my account records and gave me an unlock code within 5 minutes, along with the steps to unlock (already posted here by other users). Voila! Of course the acid test is actually being in Europe and trying a sim card there, since I have no other US carrier sim card to test here. While I had her on the line I asked to do my wife's Nokia also, but she couldn't pull the unlock code (I actually had forgotten to register it when purchased a while back, still had her older Nokia in the system). She kept me on the line a bit while she typed in what sounded like a lot of info on her end, and assured me she would call me on my home landline number in 3 to 5 business days with the Nokia code and unlock sequence. No reason to doubt her, since she didn't balk at all in doing the Treo right away. Perhaps it's all in which rep you get?
    UnlockCellular.com worked great!! Thanks!!! Their price with treocentral coupon is now down to $14.99. That is way worth it!!
    Yo whut up peops? is there a free unlock website for cingular locked phone for the treo 650?thank you
    oh!! and where can i find a free dowload website for my phone,TREO 650, sorry if this is the wrong blog
    My dad upgraded to a treo 680 and gave me his treo 650. He kept the Cingular service with the same number, but has a new SIM in his 680. The 650 he gave me has a deactivated Cingular SIM in it.
    On Tuesday March 6th, I called Cingular at 1-800-331-0500. I had to give them my Dad's Cingular phone number and the last 4 digits of his Social Security number. The Support Representative said that it would take 3 to 5 days to send me the unlock code. Today, Friday, three days later, to my surprise after reading this thread, I got my unlock code for my 650's IMEI number.

These are the instructions the message contained:

Caution: If this process is unsuccessful five times in a row, the phone will be permanently locked to the Cingular network. Do not attempt to enter the code more than one (1) time total. Instructions below will assist you in unlocking your device, if these steps are unsuccessful please contact us at 1-800-331-0500 or (916) 843-4685 from overseas.

Insert Cingular sim card into device, verify the wireless mode is set to “ON”.
    Follow these steps:
    1. Press the green Phone button
    2. Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    3. Press Dial.
    4. Device should now be unlocked.

Hopefully, this will work, and I'll be able to use my T-Mobile SIM.

It worked !
    Last edited by sethron; 03/09/2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Update
    it worked you rock thanks for the info
    I got unlocked "Cingular" Palm treo 650 from ebay. I was using it with another carrier. I had to get it replaced from palm as it used to forze very frequently. The replaced treo 650 that I got from Palm is "locked" for Cingular and when I call Palm they say they can't do anything.
    I'm not with Cingular, what should I do to get my treo 650 unlocked? Please suggest.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Just got my phone unlocked. Had to call twice because I didn't have the right social security number (I'm a college student and my parents are paying for the phone). Make sure to call the international customer service 1800 number listed on this page: http://www.cingular.com/about/contac...t-us-phone.jsp
    It is currently: 1-800-335-4685

When you call make sure to have the last 4 digits of the account holder's social security number. I had the IMEI ready too by typing *#06# beforehand. Tell them you are traveling in Europe and that you want to use a prepaid sim card from over there. They also asked for my traveling dates for some reason.

They gave me the unlock code right there with a 5 minute wait for her database to restart.

Typed in the unlock code like this: *#*#<Unlock Code># and then the green button
    and it worked.

Love it when things just work. I was expecting a big hassle seeing that this thread is 20 pages long.....
    I think the key is calling that international customer service number. They seemed better informed about the unlocking process.
    Last edited by utoks; 04/27/2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by utoks View Post
    I think the key is calling that international customer service number. They seemed better informed about the unlocking process.

I just did this as well. The international number is key. At the domestic number the agents are clueless.
    When we unlocked our Treo 650's to sell on eBay we just paid the $15 rather than fight with Cingular..
    Not me....I called, asked and had it done in 3 minutes....no fighting, no arguing....nuthin but talking to a very nice lady who was polite and eager to help.....3 calls for 3 phones, same result. If you bought in a brick and mortar, they'll do it too.

I would expect the only peeps who would have problems are those that aren't abiding by the ToS, that is an account in good standing for 90 days, or those who just wind up with a surly CSR.

Of course if you buying a Cingular phone to save money over buying an unlocked one, then I expect you'll get the same amount of help that Apple would give ya trying to install one of their programs in Windows. Sure it might work with some emulation, but I wouldn't expect free support from Apple.....seems ya would be stuck asking that 3rd party emulator for help.
    I tried it Friday, and got a very nice woman who tried to get the code for me, but told me that she couldn't because their system didn't have my Treo registered. And she couldn't register it because my calling plan is no longer offered. So she wasn't able to help me.

I called again today and got a rather clueless CSR who was able to give me the code and walk me through the procedure. At first, he had the wrong procedure, so I "helped" him find the one that's described here.

In any event, the procedure worked.
    I bought a Cingular 650 on ebay advertised as Unlocked. This is a gift for a friend in Germany (T-Mobile)

Is there anything I can do to verify the "unlocked-ness" of this Treo before sending it off to Germany? I'm happy to do whatever it takes to unlock it if needed, but hopefully the seller was truthful.

Are there any sort of verification steps?

Thank you,

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulHarker View Post
    I bought a Cingular 650 on ebay advertised as Unlocked. This is a gift for a friend in Germany (T-Mobile)

Is there anything I can do to verify the "unlocked-ness" of this Treo before sending it off to Germany? I'm happy to do whatever it takes to unlock it if needed, but hopefully the seller was truthful.

Are there any sort of verification steps?

Thank you,

Paul
    Of course; put a non-Cingular SIM in it. Got any friends on another GSM carrier?
    Using the international call center detailed in this post above also got me the unlock code instantly. The regular number offered only a 5-7 day response via email. Thanks UTOKS!
    Nice People Suck Less.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojocat View Post
    Using the international call center detailed in this post above also got me the unlock code instantly. The regular number offered only a 5-7 day response via email. Thanks UTOKS!
    Thanks a lot. Got the unlock code in 5 minutes with your instructions
    I'm finding out now that my post is mute, I can't use this Cingular Palm Treo, even if I unlock it. But I'm still open to suggestions, if anyone has any.
    (Anyone want to trade Palms with me?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope I'm not insulting the forum if I ask a very basic question.

The background is that I have been given a lovely, mint 'Cingular' Palm Treo 650, but I want to stay with Verizon.

My plan with Verizon is older and I'm on a very old phone - no SIM card.
    My question is: Should I go out and buy a SIM card? from a Verizon retailer?

I like Verizon for it's network reliability, but their store staff are rude
    Last edited by bjmoore; 09/18/2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: learned more about phone
    OK so i called and they asked if I bought the phone full retail or through a plan. They told me that I would need to get them a recite in order for them to give me a code. I bought the phone from a friend. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    help me...unlock palm treo 650..Have you purchased a registration/license code already? If so, enter your license/registration code here: